Chinese-Forums

Subtitle Files for 新上海滩?

ipsi()

My girlfriend has a copy of 新上海滩 floating around, and I've tried to watch it, but I don't know anywhere near enough vocabulary. I'm more interested in it as a way to practice listening, so if anyone could tell me where to find subtitle files for it (ideally in a textfile that I can use with Pleco), that'd be fantastic. Ideally, I could read through, acquire the vocabulary, and then start listening to it, to see if I can understand what they're saying. Right now, my 听力 is pretty horrible.

The DVDs do come with subtitles, but I'm not sure if they're a part of the movie, or somehow separate. If they're separate, I could just extract them I suppose, which would be the best solution.

All you can really do is search on shooter.cn, search the web for .srt + name of the show, maybe see if external subtitles are bundled with any of the emule or torrent downloads. But generally speaking you can't get subtitles / transcripts for Chinese shows very easily. Of the five or six shows we've covered so far in the Grand First Episode Project, I was only able to find them for one.

If you have a search there was discussion on this in the past - I think maybe atitarev (sp?) was trying to do this.

Unless you've got some specific reason for wanting to watch that show beyond the fact that you happen to have access to it, why not take a look on shooter.cn and see what shows you CAN find the subtitles for and buy that. 士兵突击 is certainly there.

Yep. :). Apparently some can be rented, for about the same price as it would cost to buy them in China...

Anyway, I'll leave this alone for now. It looks like it will be more pain than it's worth... Also, finding an OCR program that will both do Chinese and work under Linux is unlikely to be easy.

True. Depends on what the shipping rates are like though. Hell, the BLCUP website decided to offer me shipping of 120RMB on a book valued at 60RMB, on a ship that would take up to 90 days to get here... Not that the total cost is very expensive, but it's still sad to see the cost of shipping being twice that of the book...

Anyway, totally offtopic. Thanks for the help.

I think I figured out how to extract the subs using the description in the link but it's pretty time-consuming as you need to type in every (unique) unrecognised character and another movie may have different glyphs, so, you have to do it again. In other words, if you type in 是 when you see it should recognise all occurrences of it but each new character and numbers, punctuations you have to add. Quite inefficient for Chinese because of the large number of Hanzi, which are unique. So you'll have to do quite a bit of work - recognising the characters, typing them (or drawing them using IME Pad).

This is for Japanese but Chinese works the same way.

The step, which didn't work for me before was extracting soft subtitles (srt) from hard subs (bmp). I used program VobSub 2.23, the functionality you need is called Sub Resynch.

Read the 2nd post here (alternative method), as some software is no longer available for download:

Ripping Chinese subtitles from VOB to Soft Subs:

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_16017_0.htm

• 1 month later...

Hey ipsi(),

Sounds like you want to learn Chinese exactly the way I do - from movies/videos. I actually made a website that does exactly this to help me learn. I made my own subtitles for 苹果 (lost in beijing) - so now every line of the movie there is Chinese, Pinyin and English subtitles all in one.

Check it out: http://mochinamochina.com/blog/

I am using this technique too. Using 不能说的秘密 for this purpose at the moment, have all the parts but not in one.

Sorry, not sure how to use your site, will have a look later.

• 1 month later...
回复: Subtitle Files for 新上海滩?

I am using this technique too. Using 不能说的秘密 for this purpose at the moment, have all the parts but not in one.

Sorry, not sure how to use your site, will have a look later.

Any chance that you can post your files?

• 2 weeks later...
dfunkyfresh

What software do you use to prepare the multiple subtitles for your portable video? I'd like to prepare some films in the same way as you. (Great work!)

I've tried using PocketDIVXEncoder but cannot get it to recognize chinese characters.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.