Chinese-Forums

First Episode 52: 蓝色档案 (The Blue Files)

abcdefg

A part of the Grand First Episode Project -- See this thread for more info.

youku

Anybody watching this 电视剧? It's a complex spy thriller set mostly in Shanghai some years ago. The characters start out in military uniform and then don civilian clothes for their undercover doings. The lead roles are two male-female pairs; this device allows romantic entanglements to develop in the background when they pose as well-to-do married couples.

Most of the characters have one "real" name and one or two aliases that they also use off and on, which is a bit confusing. I can't fix the timeline exactly from the clothing, guns, wrist watches, telephones, cars and so on, but I'm guessing 1940's. A few Japanese military intelligence types are around, as are turncoats and double agents.

Would be glad to hear the insights of more advanced viewers about the characters and the plot twists. It shows on one of the Yunnan channels; not sure if you can see it everywhere.

It's up to episode 17 now, I've seen about half of them and have enjoyed it a lot.

2484_thumb.attach

2485_thumb.attach

Edited by renzhe

I will change my original post a bit from a question into to a recommendation. “The Blue Files” (蓝色挡案 = lánsè dǎng àn) is really worth a look. The language is not too difficult and the characters and plot are very entertaining in an adult way. It’s not full of gadgetry like 007, but it is full of intrigue, action and even twisted romance.

It airs at 8:30 p.m. daily on one of the Yunnan channels, but I suspect it’s a re-broadcast from a larger city. Admittedly, the series is now up to episode 17, so you will have some catch up work to do. But they frequently play flashbacks to facilitate that.

If you need to escape from your homework every now and then, you might give it a shot. I certainly enjoy it and would like to find like-minded members with whom to share the experience from time to time. I’m trying to stir up some interest in this series.

(Original post – slightly modified since it got no replies)

Anybody watching this 电视剧? It's a complex spy thriller set mostly in Shanghai some years ago. The characters start out training in Hong Kong in military uniform and then don civilian clothes for their undercover doings as they move north. The lead roles are two male-female pairs; this device allows illicit romantic entanglements to develop in the background when they pose as well-to-do married couples for “cover.”

Most of the characters have one "real" name and one or two aliases or nicknames that they also use off and on, which can be a bit confusing. I can't fix the timeline exactly from the clothing, guns, wrist watches, telephones, cars and so on, but I'm guessing 1940's. A few Japanese military intelligence types are around, as are turncoats, double agents and so on.

The lead characters are sophisticated, worldly types who sprinkle in a little English every now and then just to prove it. Example: “Waiter, zàilái liǎng bēi whiskey please.” No character seems “entirely good” or “entirely bad.” They are multifaceted and more “real” than what one often finds on TV.

Would be glad to hear the insights of more linguistically advanced viewers about the characters and the plot twists.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to have a look at this, but I can't find it online, neither on youku nor verycd. Watching yunnan TV is not an option for me at the moment.

If you can find it online, we can add it to the First Episode project.

I'd like to have a look at this, but I can't find it online...

It finished playing about a week ago and I just bought a copy of the DVD so I could have a second look. It seems it was originally released last autumn, and this local showing was a re-run.

I must apologize because I don't know how to download movies and TV dramas from the internet in China, but it looks like it may be available at toudou.

I did find lots of hits on the name in Baidu and Google. Here's an English-language article that tells a little bit about the series: actors, director and such. http://wiki.d-addicts.com/The_Blue_Files

Edited by abcdefg

I kept waiting for someone to point out the typo but ... well it is 蓝色档案 not 蓝色挡案

You might be able to find more resources without the typo.

Oops! Egg on my face for sure. No excuse. I just now got out the DVD to double check, and right you are: 蓝色档案 it is.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2363/2244846546_c7a2ffaeaf.jpg

Edited by roddy

Thanks for spotting that, skylee.

I've added the youku link and added this to our project.

To be honest, I don't think I'll watch all of it, as I've seen far too many 40s-60s spy shows recently, especially the ones in Shanghai, but it looks quite interesting.