Chinese-Forums

New HSK

chinopinyin

I agree! Well, when I took the HSK last week, they didn't check my pencil, so I can't see it being a problem, unless your proctors decide to start nitpicking. Your characters might be harder to erase, though, because the paper they use is a bit weird, but if you bring a good eraser it should work just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone graciously provide a link to the word list for the new HSK (level 4)? It is said in this thread that it is available in Chinese somewhere at Hanban website, but I couldn't find it. Thanks!

That's wonderful, thank you! it looks like it was posted on the Australian website of the Confucious Institute (I found the link to a similar file in an earlier post. For the others' benefit, here it is:

http://www.confuciusinstitute.qut.edu.au/study/proficiency.jsp

The sample tests provided by the Chinesetesting.cn do not contain word lists.

• 2 weeks later...

edelweis, I interpret the article in the same way.

Hanban believes that these levels match:

New HSK 4 = Old HSK 3 (Elementary C)

New HSK 5 = Old HSK 6 (Intermediate C)

New HSK 6 = Old HSK 9 (Advanced C)

Both the old HSK and the new HSK can be used as required level. The school can choose which exam they follow.

For the New HSK, New HSK 4 must be used as required level for the most undergraduate academic programs (with exception of Chinese medicine).

I presume that for undergraduate/graduate studies in Chinese the requirement will also be higher (since this also used to be the case for the old HSK if I recall correctly).

• Like 1

Does anyone have the list of vocabulary for the new HSK in any form other than PDF? I am about to create an Anki deck for the new HSK and it would be great if I could just import the list. If not, I'll start typing them in and should have the deck ready to share in 2-3 weeks.

• Like 1

Below the list I once compiled for the new HSK 4. It probably also contains extra words that were used in the example exam but were not in the original list.

The format of the file is:

CHARACTERS\tPINYIN\tMEANING\n

with \t a TAB and \n a newline.

I just exported this list from my own SRS software. Is this formatting ok for you? (I don't expect it would be a lot of work for me to export it in a different format)

New HSK 4

I actually wanted to upload this list to this forum, but this doesn't seem to be possible.

• Like 4

Bert- Thanks, this will save me a lot of time. This weekend I'll add levels 5 & 6 to your list and probably go through the list and tag each item with their level. When it's done I'll post a link here as well as upload it Anki's shared decks.

It seems that the above HSK4 vocab list is not very correct:

e.g. "北半球 - bei3 ban4 qiu2 - the Northern Hemisphere" is not part of HSK level 4 vocab.

The total number of vocab items should be exactly 1200, and that's not the case.

See guideline: http://www.confuciusinstitute.qut.edu.au/study/hsk4.jsp

{Thanks to everybody here to give me so many MINUSSES for this post :-) very funny... :o }

• Like 3

It seems that the above HSK4 vocab list is not very correct:

e.g. "北半球 - bei3 ban4 qiu2 - the Northern Hemisphere" is not part of HSK level 4 vocab.

The total number of vocab items should be exactly 1200, and that's not the case.

As I already wrote:

It probably also contains extra words that were used in the example exam but were not in the original list.

:P

Yes, it also contains the words that are used in the exam, but were not in the word list.

• Like 3

Why so aggressive?

Maybe you should remove the extra vocab, so that the data are the same like in the official list?

Just a suggesstion...

{Thanks to everybody here to give me so many MINUSSES for this post :-) very funny.... :o }

• Like 2

hanyu_xuesheng:

BertR is doing us a favour. And I do not find merely highlighting a previously posted warning aggressive at all especially with the smiley.

Maybe you can remove the extra words and post the improved list for everyone to enjoy. Just to prove you can too do something to help others instead of just complaining.

Just so you know I gave you minusses and him plusses. But somehow his latest post still has -1 now. How very very strange.

• Like 1

You may copy and paste the HSK(new) level 1-4 vocab from this German website:

New HSK-1 (CEF: "A1") Vocab (150 items)

New HSK-2 (CEF: "A2") Vocab (300 items, 150 new, 150 from above)

New HSK-3 (CEF: "B1") Vocab (600 items, 300 new, 300 from above)

New HSK-4 (CEF: "B2") Vocab (1197 items, 3 items are dupl., 597 new, 600 from above)

Hope that helps. :unsure:

• Like 1

Hi hanyu-xueshang,

this website 'daily dose of chinese' is great (for German speakers).

I appreciate the explanations for individual characters and will certainly consult it in the future.

Thank you also to BertR for his list.

Cheers

hackinger

Thanks hanyu-xueshang.

I ended up finding that it was faster to just go ahead and type all the characters in rather than cross-reference to Bert's list and tag each item with their level. Anyway, I'm through 1,100 characters so far so I'll just continue this way. I'm using the Pinyin Toolkit for Anki, so it goes by pretty quickly, but I've been noticing errors on some single character words with tones, so that has been slowing me down a little bit. Anyway, I should be done with this in 2 weeks, 3 if it starts to get too tedious and I slow down my pace.

• Like 2

I just wanted to give an update in case anyone is following this. I'm through about 1,900 characters so far, but have run into a disturbing problem. Using the Pinyin Toolkit I am seeing the wrong pronunciation and/or meaning way too often, which worries me about the accuracy of the the list I've been compiling. So, if I continue this way I 'll have to double check each character individually which would take forever. So I'm thinking about switching up my approach. Rather than building a new list for the new HSK I'm going to take the old list, which seems to be readily available in xml form and tag the characters with the corresponding new level adding in the new characters as I find them and deleting the ones no longer used. I'm thinking this should go much quicker and, assuming I start with an accurate list, will be as accurate as possible.

I've just started looking around at the old list and have a few that seem to vary a little in the definitions. So, is there one official list for the old HSK that is considered to be 100% accurate for pinyin and definition?

I *think* that if the old-HSK list was ever authoratitive, it was the chinese characters themselves that were authoratitive: the pinyin and translations were not, they were just added by people studying for the exam etc. I've definitely found quite a few mistakes in the old list in the past.

If the NEW list is similar in this respect to the old list, then it would be a mistake to think that the list is telling you the "right way" (in terms of the HSK exam) to pronounce or translate certain words. I would advise using the characters as the source, and adding your own pronunciations and definitions.

realmayo- could you refer me to the list that you found was full of mistakes. I ask because I found a few different lists that varied slightly and want to make sure I start with the best list.

It's not really an option for me to look up the definition and pinyin for each character and type it all in as, being just one person, it would take me months to get through all 5,000 characters.