Chinese-Forums

Perapera kun 2.0

mrtee

Perapera kun 2.0 is now officially out and has the CC-CEDICT dictionary which is a lot better than before IMO.

You can also now save words on the sidebar and export them in any format! This is an awesome feature.

http://perapera.wordpress.com

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3349

Edited by mrtee

It appears that the Perapera-kun 2.1 upgrade seems to have broken the "save word" function and word list sidebar. It was working in 2.0.

You can find the Perakun 2.0 installation file (XPI file) here (click on "Perapera-kun 2.0").

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/23226-perapera-kun-20/page__view__findpost__p__190288

Perapera-kun 2.0

To reinstall 2.0 instead of 2.1

1. Uninstall 2.1 (you can leave the dictionary in place)

2. Download 2.0 XPI file

3. Open the 2.0 XPI file in Firefox (File->Open File)

4. Make sure you have one of the Perakun dictionaries installed as before

Now you should be able to save a you are looking up by clicking 's'. The word list sidebar should show up. You can export your word list in the sidebar by selecting the words you want and clicking on "Entries".

Yeah. Firefox takes forever to approve add-ons. Here are the links you need:

Perapera-kun 2.0

Chinese-English Dictionary

Chinese-German Dictionary

Japanese Dictionaries at Polarcloud.com

For those of you in China and unable to read his blog, I will quote the developer's post:

Well its finally released. Here is the new version of Perapera-kun for Firefox. Took a bit longer than I was hoping but I am now happy with what is released. I submitted it to Firefox but they always take forever to actually update it on their site so it is available here first for anyone who wants to try it out. You can find it in the download box in the left or find the direct links to the file at the end of this post. Here are the new features:

-Wordlist Sidebar: Press ‘S’ while displaying an entry to save it to the wordlist. (Also is a “Grab Entries!” button, but more about that in a later post. Stay tuned.) You can add, delete, and export these entries to a file whenever you want.

-Japanese and Chinese united: Now both Japanese and Chinese are handled in 1 plug-in by adding the dictionaries you want.

-Korean support coming very soon! Currenty it will display the romanized pronunciation but I dont have a dictionary to use yet. Can anyone help?

-StatusBar Icon: Now everything is easily controlled via the Perapera-kun status bar icon. Enable multiple langauges with one click, options dialog, and more.

-New Chinese-English Dictionary: I now use the open public CCEDICT to feed the entries for Chinese-English. This should fix alot of the inconsistencies the previous dictionary had.

-Chinese-German Dictionary: Uses the HanDeDict open public dictionary for Chinese-German. Please only install 1 Chinese dictionary at a time.

-Supports Japanese to English, French, German, and Russian dictionaries along with the Japanese Names dictionary compiled by polarcloud.com

-Redeigned options dialog that is cleaner and easier to use.

-New icon for the add-on

After you download the add-on you will need to install the dictionary add-on for the language you want to use. For Japanese, visit polarcloud.com to install one of those dictionaries and for Chinese, download the English or German dictionary in my download box or in the links below. Thanks for using and I look forward to your feedback.

Drag the application file and the dictionary file onto firefox and it installs itself. You also have to restart firefox before it works.

Actually I've got the old and the new version installed at the same time and they both work.

So, the new version uses cedict. What was the dictionary in the older version?

I doesn't complain and appears in the list of add-ons (with a new icon) but it doesn't work! I tried uninstalling old versions (C and J) and installing the new version with dictionaries with all the restarts.

I had to go back to the old version of Chinese pera-kun and Rikaichan. I can add a button but it doesn't get enabled when I click on it (no star is lit)! Yes, I did restart Firefox. My version is 3.5.2.

It uses the same dictionary files for Chinese and Japanese as Chinese pera-kun and Rikaichan.

EDIT:

Attaching the picture - all 3 buttons, the right blue button doesn't get enabled. The new Perapera-kun is installed, appears on the add-on list but not on the Tools menu.

2869_thumb.attach

Oh, thanks, I was looking in the wrong place. :) That blue button is still there with the new version but does nothing. I got the pop-up dictionary to work! Now I have trouble saving entries to file. When I click S, it opens a sidebar only.

Could you please explain how you save entries into a file using the new version. Thanks in advance!

--

Got this to work too! No worries, thanks again!

They seem to not interfere, I've got both working, eventually may uninstall the old one.

There is a difference in Save to file approach, not sure, which one is better - having one file or having to choose the file each time. The new version saves both traditional and simplified (set in options), which is very good.

What does "Grab Entries" button do?

OK so I'm having a problem with fonts in perakun. One some sites the pinyin font looks fine (eg the attached screenshot from this forum with chongguoren highlighted), but on others any letter with an accent is not in line with the other letters (attached screenshot with qian highlighted).

I have a vague memory of having and fixing this problem before, but can't remember how. Any suggestions?

2874_thumb.attach

2875_thumb.attach

Thanks for posting this information. Just installed via the following, no issues

1. Uninstalled the old version, restarted firefox
  2. Downloaded the two .xpi files I need from post #3
  3. Installed them via File -> Open File
  4. Restarted firefox
  5. Looked around for a couple of minutes trying to find how to enable it, until I saw the little icon on the bottom.

So far it looks good. I'm also glad that once it is enabled, it stays enabled, rather than needed to enable it on every page.

Does anyone know how to change the icon when it is enabled? I don't really want a Chinese flag on my browser, especially as I'm currently working on a USA government project, it might give some the wrong idea.

mrtree says;

Make sure to uninstall the old Chinese perapera kun. You don't need it anymore.

Both are working fine together for me.

I left both because they seem to use different dictionaries.

The newest is cedict, but what does the older version use for it's dictionary????

Thanks querido, that seems to be the case. It seems any 16x16 pixel png file will work. So just replace chinese_on.png with your favorite icon, and off you go! I changed mine, trying to attach a screen capture....

Here are the step-by-step directions for how I did it. There may be an easier or better way, but this worked for me.

1. Download a new copy of the plug-in.
  2. Create a new version of the plug-in with your icon of choice
  3. Uninstall your current version of Perapera, restart firefox
  4. Install your modified version of Perapera, restart firefox

To create a new version of the plug-in, here are the steps I did. This is for Linux, obviously, but the same idea should apply for Windows as well. [Except note that for me, the windows version of firefox replaced the '*' inn the filename with '_'.] Replace "" with whatever icon file you want.

unzip "*NEW* Perapera-kun 2.0.xpi" chrome/perakun.jar
cd chrome/
mkdir skin
mkdir skin/classic
cp  skin/classic/chinese_on.png
zip -m perakun.jar skin/classic/chinese_on.png
cd ..
zip -m "*NEW* Perapera-kun 2.0.xpi" chrome/perakun.jar

I've also attached two icon files, if anyone wants them. The first is just 漢; the second is the ROC flag, if anyone wants to get political and replace the PRC flag with the ROC flag :mrgreen:

Note that this way modifies the original plug-in (the .xpi file). It would probably work, although I didn't try it to confirm, to modify the installed .jar file directly. [When firefox installs a plug-in, it seems to remove the primary .jar file from the .xpi file and save that.] If you want to try this approach, find the installed perakun.jar file (for me, it was installed in $(HOME)/.mozilla/firefox/*/extensions/peraperakun@gmail.com/chrome/perakun.jar), and modify that instead

2879_thumb.attach

2880_thumb.attach

2881_thumb.attach

I, too, would like to know what dictionary was used in the old version. Btw, i downloaded the new version dictionary, per the link in post 3, but couldn't install it. Adobe Reader (???) gave me a message that the file was corrupt because of something that didn't even seem to apply (???).

I've been using Perakun for a bit but never knew you could actually save the words you mouse-over. Hurray. However, when i press S (Sidebar for Words was activated) nothing happens. I don't know what buttons you folks talk about. I have the Star on which i can right-click and that's it.