Chinese-Forums

Help me please, what word is this?

nowhere

Hi everybody, while reading a website I came across the following word:

i4056h.jpg.

I've tried to look it up in some dictionaries but to no use because the word is an image, the strokes are kinda blurry, and most importantly I can't identify its radical.

Can someone please tell me what that word is?

Many thanks in advance.

The top and the bottom left part are fairly clear. I tried Plecodict's very forgiving handwriting recognition with a not too careful hand, that made my mid bottom part not at all look like 贝, more like a small 只 but more round. Still, I got 赢 as the only sensible alternative. Second best was its traditional form.

889: Times like this -- where you can recognize a few components but not all -- are when Wenlin comes into its own

I always keep a copy of Laurence Matthews Chinese Character Fast Finder 3200 HSK Simplified Characters which is based on quadrant component lookup close by. It also contains an equivalent Traditional character lookup section.

xiele,

Jim

Hi guys, thanks for your advices about the dictionaries, I tried the demo version of Wenlin and it seems great but as a college student who has a girlfriend my budget is kinda tight so I can't afford its price of $199 yet :D. Perhaps I'll have to find a better part-time job soon.

In the meantime, can you please help me again :D? This morning I came across some words in some pictures on the Internet which for some reasons are very hard for me to identify.

1. Pic 1:

2m80gwh.jpg

The word I can't recognize is the last word in the right column. It seems to be 事 but I'm not totally sure since the strokes are too blear.

2. Pic 2:

9jq1r6.jpg

Also the last word in the right column, this time I can't even recognize the radical. At first look, it's somewhat similar to 着 to me but when I zoomed it up I saw some seeming differences between them. 着 fits with the rest of the sentence, though.

3. Pic 3:

25jhw8w.jpg

The first word in the right column. I can see the radical is 目 but couldn't find a single word in my dictionaries that looks similar to it.

Many thanks in advance.

The word I can't recognize is the last word in the right column. It seems to be 事 but I'm not totally sure since the strokes are too blear.

It's 事. 怎么回事 is a common phrase.

Also the last word in the right column, this time I can't even recognize the radical. At first look, it's somewhat similar to 着 to me but when I zoomed it up I saw some seeming differences between them. 着 fits with the rest of the sentence, though.

It's probably 著, which can be used interchangeably with 着 as far as I know. I'm sure there's a rule on this, however.

The first word in the right column. I can see the radical is 目 but couldn't find a single word in my dictionaries that looks similar to it.

That's 瞬 shùn. 瞬间 means 'in the twinkling of an eye'.

Finally, can I just say your comment that "as a college student who has a girlfriend my budget is kinda tight" put a smile on my face? :wink:

Hi everybody, thanks for your help last time :D.

I don't want to but still today I have to bother you again :cry:. Can someone please help me with the first word in the second column in the following picture? :help

8wz1h1.jpg

The word is quite clear and I think it's 绫, but the whole sentence makes no sense to me at all, so IMO perhaps it's a typo. I'm just wondering if there's any word that looks or sounds similar to 绫 that can fit in with that sentence?

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

It's the simplified and complex forms of jue2 followed by de, which together mean 'feel (that)...'.

The (most obvious) radical for 觉 / 覺 would be 见 (simplified) or 見 (complex), whilst for 得 it would be 彳.

Best thing is to learn your radicals thoroughly (at least the CASS 189: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/31003-guide-to-simplified-radicals/page__p__239182__fromsearch__1#comment-239182 - if not the Kangxi 214; there is no shortage of not-that-detailed but at least complete Kangxi lists online), and perhaps how to convert between simplified and complex systems (there's a partial conversion chart here: http://www.chinese-forums.com/showthread.php?p=226907#post226907 ), or get a course or book that teaches you plenty of characters and their strokes, if not their radicals and composition! :wink::)

Edited by Gharial
Adding links

(simplified script)

(traditional script of the same character above)

(same for both scripts)

覺得 means "feel", e.g. 我覺得 means "I feel (that) ...

PS - nowhere, could you tell us why you keep asking about these seemingly random words/characters? Are you reading comics etc? Could you let us know the context?

Remembered another resource that you might find interesting, Nowhere. Scroll down to the bottom of the following link and note the 'Other' components section: http://dylansung.tripod.com/hanzi/t-s-s2.htm .

Of these Other, 14 (simplified versus complex) components, four are left-side-only radicals that you are probably reasonably familiar with already ( 讠/ 訁, 饣 / 飠, 纟/ 糹and 钅/ 釒) and that can be easily found (and copied!) from online dictionaries like MBDG, whilst the remaining 10 components aren't radicals but rather 'recurrent partials' (to borrow the ABC C-E Dictionary's term) that occur primarily as either the tops or right sides of (simplified versus complex) characters.

Anyway, like I say, learn your radicals ( http://dylansung.tripod.com/flux/radscheme.htm and e.g. http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=radicals&cdqraddm=1 will be useful too for comparing the various systems), otherwise looking up characters will remain quite difficult!

For example, that 赢 (from your OP) took me about 3 seconds to find in the ABC, under 亠 (what I'd call the 'lid' radical). (I didn't "know" that 赢 can be found under 貝 in traditional dictionaries, or in electronic under 贝 also, but then, 贝/貝 doesn't seem to be the most intuitive radical in this case, at least not according to modern paper-based reference works!).:)

Edited by Gharial
Adding "speed look-up" example!