Chinese-Forums

Chinese Readers beats Chinese Breeze to Traditional Market

leosmith

Chinese Readers (中文讀本) is a (relatively) new set of readers very much in the style of Chinese Breeze. However they are available in both Simplified and Traditional characters, while Chinese breeze is available in simplified only. (I haven't seen the Simplified versions of Chinese Readers, but I assume they exist because my traditional book covers have an empty checkbox for that option)

I found these literally in the last hour of my visit to Taiwan, in what I believe was called the "ESLite" book store in Taipei. This is a quick summary before I jump on my plane to Japan; fell free to correct it. I may update it later.

There are

3 books at the beginner (300 to 500 character) level

1 book at the intermediate (500 to 1000 character) level

2 books at the advanced (1000 to 1500 character) level

Character levels are my best guess - I found no info on this, but I'm quite certain about the beginner level.

These are short books with no pinyin in the main reading, but a few indexed vocab words at the bottom of the page with pinyin. There are some questions at the end of the chapters. And of course, there is a CD for each book. I haven't completed a book or CD, but will let you know what I think when I do. Feel free to beat me to the punch.

So someone from Taiwan seems to have copied an idea from the mainland. That seems so unfair.

Chinese Readers

Edited by leosmith
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

The links in here are dead. Does anyone have any information about the books the OP is referring to? A quick search in four shops didn't get me anywhere, but my Chinese is not good enough to really navigate Chinese online shops.

4 hours ago, Geiko said:

I have these books, I bought them at China Sprout. I also found them in an online bookshop called Kingstone (I never ordered there, I can't recommend it): Kingstone . Or you can buy some of them at Amazon for 200$ :shock:

I've bought books from Kingstone a number of times. it's good for books from Taiwan, and the shipping is very fast, but it gets really expensive really fast (but still cheaper than that Amazon price). The last two times I was also charged customs at the door (they shipped with DHL), so I would avoid it if you can find the books anywhere else. They do have Paypal as a payment option at least, though.

• Like 1