Chinese-Forums

Hainan University

rocoloco

Hello,

Im planning to study chinese in Hainan University for 1 semester this year. I heard that Hainan doesn't have any decent universities, that students only party all the time, ... overall, I heard that students should stay away from studying there.

Is that true? How could it be so bad?

I need some advice, information, anything.

Thanks

Rok, from Slovenia

I heard that Hainan doesn't have any decent universities, that students only party all the time, ... overall, I heard that students should stay away from studying there.

How did you choose Hainan? Why did you decide to study there?

Excellent choice! Hainan University is a great place to study Chinese, and of course there are some students who party everywhere but there are plenty who care about learning here too. I am not a student there, but my husband is. If you need someone to show you around town we'd love to - send me a message! When do you arrive in Haikou?

I chose it because I alway wanted to stay at more tropical place for a longer period of time and because it's something new for me also. I wanna enjoy my time there and learn, later on I plan to study somewhere else also.

If I go, I'll arrive around 30th of August.

The weather here is very agreeable to me, warm for most of the year and less hot in summer than in the mainland, except when there is a typhoon and a some 30-day period in winter in which damp is very troublesome as the campus is located almost on the seaside. As for the people here, well, in every corner of the world, you get nice people and unpleasant ones. It is enough as long as you have nice guys around. Students party a lot? Hmm, I don't know. I am not a party fan. :mrgreen: But of course, there are some parties organised by the class or by the faculty on festivals or particular days.

Good Luck.

PS: By the time the damp period comes, it is winter vacation.

Edited by kenny2006woo

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • New Members

Is anyone currently studying Chinese here? I'd like to pick your brain if I could, I want to study here for 8 weeks in the summer but in order for my University to accept credit and allow me to use financial aid I need credit, syllabus, and other information.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have just applied to study at Hainan University for 1 year from September 2014. I made my application through CUCAS. It has been hard to find any information about Hainan University, but what I have found, seems to be good. In the end, I chose Hainan over Xiamen Uni (because Xiamen's campus for Chinese study is way out in the countryside, away from the city and beach) and over Sun Yat Sen Uni (because of the expense of living near the uni, no campus accommodation available and the pollution.) 

If you are at Hainan university or are going to go there, please contact me on here, or directly add my Wechat: maxwx1

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi, I am currently studying in Hainan and have written a blog post about the 2 main universities in Haikou. Feel free to have a look if you want to find out some more information: https://followmorris.wordpress.com/2015/01/10/whats-the-difference-hainan-normal-university-and-hainan-university/

Hi BigMax, thanks for a great write up about the two universities

I believe we talked about Hainan a while back on Wechat, before you had started studying there.

How are you finding the teaching quality?

I came to visit the uni back in November and applied to start in March, still on track to start for then.

I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about how the placement test works? I'm curious to know what level class I'll be in. I've been studying pretty intensively since we last spoke and now on a good day I'd put myself at around HSK 3

How is the food in the cafeterias? Also if you don't mind me asking, what are monthly living costs like?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys, I have been studying in Hainan University for 6 months now, and I love it. 

I have written a review of the city which I hope can give you an introduction to Haikou, I'm happy to answer any questions you might have and please feel free to share --- thanks, BM

https://followmorris.wordpress.com/2015/04/15/haikou/