Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua University Fall/Autumn 2010

bunny87

Hello,

Ok so quick question. My sister is coming to visit me in November :) but I'm thinking, as she'll be there for about 2 weeks, she should stay at a hostel which will be much cheaper.

For those of you who've been to Tsinghua already, are there any hostels around that area? Like Wudaokou for example? Or can you even book guest accommodation at the university itself? As I've heard that sometimes, a university does have some accommodation like that (well, they do in the UK anyway...)

OR (and this might be slightly radical...!) could she just bunk in my room?

Let me know - thanks!

nazreal

Hey everyone...its labour day in China..so they have a 10 day holiday...nothing is going to get processed till its over....and on top of that my tutor has been extremely unhelpful with information about when we find out if we've been accepted/visa's/terms dates..basically everything =.= Anyone started applying for visa's yet?..and the compulsory fully body checkup...does anyone have any idea which one we need to take? (apparently theres a few to choose from :S)

Ah....I didn't realise we had to do a full body check up - is that here or in Beijing? So how long do you reckon it will take for all the acceptances/rejections (God forbid!) to go through? Someone possibly on this thread mentioned the end of May...when flights to Beijing and booking gets pretty expensive...lovely.

p.s....I'm from the UK too ^^

:)

Hey everybody -- I'm coming to Tsinghua in the fall, too! I got the acceptance email from the MID program a few weeks ago already.

Judging by this year's academic calendar, I'm guessing the semester will begin at the end of August (or at least registration will). I'm sure we'll get more details about that and how to get visas once we receive the official acceptance letters/packages (in my acceptance email, they said I'd get it at some point in June -- but that may just be for the MID program).

Does anyone know how the "registration" to obtain a dorm room works? I'm guessing there's some type of online system that will open at some point this summer, but I didn't find any detail about it on the webpage.

And concerning dorm rooms, I think I read that there is one (or two?) building(s) just for international students. But does anyone know if they're mixed, or if there's one building for guys, and one for girls (or maybe separate floors)?

Hey Guys,

Just checked my application webpage and it says "admitted". This is what it says exactly:

"Congratulations! You have been admitted by our program. The admission documents will be issued before June 30, 2010. Please wait for it. You have not paid the application fee(your check is invalid), so you need pay it with your tuition fee when you register in Tsinghua in Sep 2010,we will return your check to you."

I am relieved! Anyone else have the same thing?

Hey Guys,

Just checked my application webpage and it says "admitted". This is what it says exactly:

"Congratulations! You have been admitted by our program. The admission documents will be issued before June 30, 2010. Please wait for it. You have not paid the application fee(your check is invalid), so you need pay it with your tuition fee when you register in Tsinghua in Sep 2010,we will return your check to you."

I am relieved! Anyone else have the same thing?

Hey! I have literally *just* logged in (was feeling a bit blue today and thought hum...after MONTHS maybe they've changed it) and hey presto! Admitted! I got the same message by the way - including the part about paying fees once I arrive. Can't wait! Definitely lifted my spirits after a dismal day at work :)

Nazreal

ps. Congrats to everyone who's getting the same sort of message :)

Congrats nazreal and nparbis, and everyone else who's been admitted!

I found this link deep into the forum; lots of good info about dorms, classes, transportation, etc., for those who hadn't found it yet.

Edit: nazreal, no clue about hostels near Tsinghua (though I'm sure there must be some), but I don't think there's any way your sister will be able to stay in your room. Apparently having guests after 23h is strictly forbidden (they have to sign at the main desk when they come in, so you can't slip them in quietly either). But I'm sure you'll be able to find an hostel once you get there and know the area better.

Hi everyone,

I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm hoping to apply to Tsinghua for the Spring 2011 semester (CLP) for one year. The Fall application is still ongoing. Does anyone have any idea when the application for Spring beings? I'm asking because I'd like to apply a.s.a.p. Thank you in advance!

Nazreal: Nice. Hope the documents come in sooner than later. Which visa are you planning to apply for?

Ruich: I am actually wondering the same thing. They didn't give me any other info other than being admitted. It'll probably come along with the package, so we just gotta wait i guess.

MGMT: Yo thanks. Congrats on the MID program admission as well.

Congrats to everyone that got accepted as well

@MGMT: Thanks for the link :) - it's a little outdated but it does answer some key questions about the accommodation. I didn't realise there was a 'sealing your room' day although I don't think that looks as though it's something we can look into as new residents. I read somewhere in the Tsinghua Spring 2010 thread that there is a week's window of opportunity before registration where accommodation is actually discounted. Doesn't sound like 'sealing', hence my earlier comment...

The link also mentioned that I can book a hotel room for my sis which is situated in the G2 area of the map - haven't checked the map so hopefully it's close! This could work out as cheap as a hostel...

@Ruich and others with questions about semester dates: I'm assuming it'll be roughly 25th-28th August or so based on their previous academic dates.

@nparbis: cools - I'm applying for the student visa although I'm looking to get either a double entry (£45) or multiple entry visa for 1 year (£150) because I think I'll be visiting my cousin in Taiwan in January. Otherwise I'll just get a double entry, nip to HK somewhere and re-apply for a working visa (as I plan to get a job once my Chinese gets to an OK level - hoping!!!)

Can't wait to actually get everything sorted!

No pb, nazreal. I hadn't read that G2 hotel thing, cool that it's working out already!

Actually, concerning dorm rooms, does anyone know the exact procedure to get one? I remember reading about that "discount price week" too, and also about a website on which you could register for a room -- but I also read something about a "first come first serve" system with no prior online registration. That seems a little weird, but who knows. I sent an email to FSAO, but so far got no answer, so if anyone knows...

hey all, I'll be joining the MID ranks this fall as well, and Ive been living in the area for the past year and have some friends in the current program so maybe I can share some info- from what Ive heard, everybody that moves into the dorms is looking to get out within the first month. Theres loads of apartments nearby, most notably 'huaqingjiayuan' which starts at around 3000rmb and is very close to school. Check the beijinger.com for a better idea. I live very near and pay 2300/mo, though that might be hard to find without a roommate. As far as hotels/hostels, theres the wudaokou hotel, huaqingjiayuan hostel, peking uni intl hostel, and maybe a few others, im not sure how much they cost.

cheers folks, see ya in the fall!

@nazreal : people can sleep over. it's against the rules, yeah, but it's possible. what i wouldn't do is parade in there too late (after 9:30-10pm) when they start warning all the guests that start coming that they gotta go. of course, if you have a buddy in the dorm building, your sister can chill at their dorm room for until about midnight while you wait in your room and see if any one comes knocking. With the cleaning ladies coming, i somehow pulled off having a baby rabbit for a week. and congrats on being admitted! look forward to meeting you!

@nparbis, MGMT, brewerbrewer: congratulations!!

WELL! I just got admitted. :mrgreen: Of course, I also got engaged so let's see how this affects me going ... :wub:

and geez, chinese-forums updated. i stopped by a day ago in a rush and was like "...wrong page" and didn't have time to go double check anything. it does look nice though now that i have time to look at it.

just for the record, the wonderful message they left for me was :

Congratulations! You have been admitted by our program. The admission documents will be issued before June 30, 2010. Please wait for it. You have not paid the application fee, so you need pay it with your tuition fee when you register in Tsinghua in Sep 2010.

it does sound like we'll be there in September now

@bunny87: excellent! shall see you there then :)

re. accommodation - is anyone actually thinking of only living in student dorms for 1 month and then moving out? I guess I assumed the cheapest and easiest solution was to live in dorms although I definitely see the attraction of living elsewhere. I also kind of like the idea of rolling-ish out of bed and getting to class (will be bleary eyed but hey, I love my sleep!)

@MGMT: I think we've both read the same thread - looks like the accommodation procedure is definitely sketchy but only because information on the internet is so sketchy. I'm planning on arriving a week before registration for the discounted week but then again, people have mentioned the www.thutraining.com website which doesn't work so I think I'll just be waiting for the package to point me in the right direction...

@Ruich and others with questions about semester dates: I'm assuming it'll be roughly 25th-28th August or so based on their previous academic dates.

It really started as early as August in recent years? Wow.. I expect middle of September. This makes the whole planning rather tiresome. How should I buy a plane ticket without knowing, when University starts? *sigh*

@bunny8: thanks and congrats to you too!

@brewerbrewer: nice to see another fellow MID-er around here!

@nazreal: unless I find bugs in my bed/etc, I'm planning to stay in the dorms for at least a semester -- but I think there's no way I'll stand living there for two whole years. When I'll decide to move out exactly will depend on what accomodation I find outside/potential roommates/etc. But one semester seems like the minimum to get to know the people, the city, etc. I'll see when I get there, I guess.

And yeah, that's the (non-working) website. You're right, I guess the package will give us the info we need, I just wish I could start planning now. I plan to get there a bit early, too (though the definition of "early" depends on the actual to-be-determined start-date...), possibly even before discount-week if it means I'm guaranteed to get a single room.

Ah....I didn't realise we had to do a full body check up - is that here or in Beijing? So how long do you reckon it will take for all the acceptances/rejections (God forbid!) to go through? Someone possibly on this thread mentioned the end of May...when flights to Beijing and booking gets pretty expensive...lovely.

:)

I don't know if its compulsory for everyone..but our tutors been hassling everyone to get it done asap..."students going for 6 months (1 sem) do not need the full body checkup....but students going for the year (sem 1 and 2) must get the full body checkup...you can get done when you are in beijing, but if you get there and they find out you have a problem you will be sent back"...so probably better to get done before heading out there... :S

omgosh..everyone is getting admitted...me and my 2 coursemates are still waiting =.= Still just saying the inital form has been verified...

We weren't allowed to send off our applications till end of april..the wait is killing us as we're supposed to be guaranteed the place as long as we apply, but apparently there are now "complications"..because our application was delayed thanks to the volcanic eruption ><

Has anyone started applications for accomodation yet?...its exam period and i havent had time to look into anything, and my ever efficient tutor is unavailable for any kind of help regarding accomodation etc...to make it worse..both my coursemates have no intention in living in the dorms so im going to be all by myself EEKKK

It really started as early as August in recent years? Wow.. I expect middle of September. This makes the whole planning rather tiresome. How should I buy a plane ticket without knowing, when University starts? *sigh*

According to the academic calendar, the end of August is only for freshmen enrollment and the Welcome Ceremony. The actual registration for international students was on 10-11 September in 2009 so I guess it could be on the 9-10 September 2010 this year.

According to the academic calendar, the end of August is only for freshmen enrollment and the Welcome Ceremony. The actual registration for international students was on 10-11 September in 2009 so I guess it could be on the 9-10 September 2010 this year.

Oh really? I hope so! As I will probably really struggle to go to China so early in the summer. So I suppose that means the discounted week for accommodation starts in the first week of September....

@ScarlettWan: I'd better get an appointment with the doctor's in that case...speaking of which, does anyone know if Beijing have chiropractors? And by that I mean properly trained and certified as I fractured my spine ages ago and sometimes I need the odd maintenance adjustment but I don't particularly want anyone touching my back unless they're kosher if you know what I mean...

Anyhoos, on a different note, why weren't you allowed to apply before April, if you don't mind me asking? Otherwise, I don't think we can start applying for accommodation - I'm going to wait for my pack to come through before dealing with that....