Chinese-Forums

Summer 2010 Study For High School Student In Hangzhou?

Nancy R

I am new to the forum and very glad to find it.

Is it possible for a U.S. high school student to study Mandarin in Hangzhou for summer 2010? Are there academic language programs open to high school students? I am not thinking about U.S.-based programs that HS students sign up for in the U.S. and then go to China to study at a camp or university. I'm more thinking: can a 16-year-old American high school student who has already taken three years of high school Mandarin find anywhere in Hangzhou to study Mandarin in either a credit or noncredit course?

Also, is it "too late" to find something for summer 2010? In my part of the U.S., school gets out June 22.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I am posting this for son, who's at school at the moment, because he's thinking about going to Hangzhou for the summer to study Mandarin, and time to arrange this is getting short. He was there for two weeks in April as an exchange student. We have asked his HS Mandarin teacher and she has no leads.

Nancy

You are OK with allowing your 16 year old son to go by himself to China and live by himself and find his own program? Wow, you are pretty amazing.

I don't know the answer to your question.

But my first question is whether your son, as a minor, is actually legally allowed (by Chinese law) to get a visa and travel by himself. I don't know, but I have a feeling the answer is no.

Second question is why is he against a set program? Is it the USA-based part, or a set program in general?

FYI, I came across this website yesterday: http://www.nextstepchina.org/summer-program/ I know nothing about it, but it might be a good place for you to start looking.

Since the boy has already spent 2 weeks in Hangzhou as an exchange student, I assume he intends to stay with the same host family again (and so he'll have help and supervision).

Also see this blog by an Australian girl who attended BLCU at age 17:

Solo plane trip

I almost fell asleep straight away, as it was exhausting to have to go through immigration and everything alone. [...] I am too old now to be an unaccompanied minor, but mum requested that I have a meet and assist, because Singapore Airport is so large.

Graduation Day

My certificate is very official, complete with red stamp of authenticity. I am now a university graduate at age 17!