Chinese-Forums

Does My Contract Sound Legit?

JayW

Don't be mean now :P

JayW, the contract says they are responsible for all legal documents right?

They've already breached the contract by suggesting you do something illegal.

Just send them an email saying if 21 if not old enough then the contract is void.

IMHO they're just trying to save face by not telling you outright they don't want to honor the contract.

im sweating right now... if i can't work out there with being 21, where can i work?

and is there no way of getting bye that? i hear of allot of under age people working as a teacher... I don't want to get a fake i.d. what the hell do i do!?

I am not aware of official visa rules, perhaps 21 is fine. Just ask the embassy.

And if you know other people working in China, then ask them directly what visa they have and how they got it.

The point is, if that company now claims that you are too young, either it is true and they breached the contract by asking you to lie, or it is not true, and they are lying to you because they don't want you to come anymore but don't want to admit it either.

I am not aware of official visa rules, perhaps 21 is fine. Just ask the embassy.

And if you know other people working in China, then ask them directly what visa they have and how they got it.

The point is, if that company now claims that you are too young, either it is true and they breached the contract by asking you to lie, or it is not true, and they are lying to you because they don't want you to come anymore but don't want to admit it either.

well... what would happen if I went there anyways? with my contract they could fire me if they choose.

also I have just got another contract, but its from Will-Excel TESOL and i don't know if there trust worthy.

Hey, isn't Will-Excel TESOL run by a forums member, or am I getting confused again? :conf

Oh, and if a serious organization offered an English teaching contract to someone with the limited understanding of English grammar demonstrated above, I'd be somewhat concerned with its applicant screening process.

Hey, isn't Will-Excel TESOL run by a forums member, or am I getting confused again? :conf

Oh, and if a serious organization offered an English teaching contract to someone with the limited understanding of English grammar demonstrated above, I'd be somewhat concerned with its applicant screening process.

well actually, i just checked out there youtube channel, and they seem legit.

theres just this one blog i found where the guy said all the posts about them were traced back to the same i.p. and they were a scam.

i guess he must be upset with them or something, or they have a really great scam.

either it is true and they breached the contract by asking you to lie, or it is not true, and they are lying to you because they don't want you to come anymore but don't want to admit it either.

Or, more likely, they just have no idea what they are talking about and are telling you a mixture of hearsay and the first things that came to their mind.

Oh, and JayW, seriously, the way you are writing you should not be teaching English. If it's all because you're tired only, then please take the time to spell-check your posts; that's the least bit of respect you could show people that are trying to help you.

• Like 1

Or, more likely, they just have no idea what they are talking about and are telling you a mixture of hearsay and the first things that came to their mind.

Oh, and JayW, seriously, the way you are writing you should not be teaching English. If it's all because you're tired only, then please take the time to spell-check your posts; that's the least bit of respect you could show people that are trying to help you.

Sorry, I'm awake now.

Thank you for your reply.

Do you think if I went out there, would they just fire me?

If I take your advice and assume they just don't know, what are the chances of going out there and just being fired?

Sorry, I'm awake now.

Thank you for your reply.

Do you think if I went out there, would they just fire me?

If I take your advice and assume they just don't know, what are the chances of going out there and just being fired?

I don't think they're not interested in hiring you, just not interested enough to care about the visa thing. If you get a visa, great, they'll take you, if you don't, whatever, just find somebody else.

Whether you would want to work for a school like that is a different question entirely.

also I have just got another contract, but its from Will-Excel TESOL and i don't know if there trust worthy.

There is enough third-party feedback out there to verify our trustworthiness. We also offer references on request when necessary.

Hey, isn't Will-Excel TESOL run by a forums member, or am I getting confused again?

That would be me. I just returned from my first holiday in two years. I'm playing catch-up on lots of things. :rolleyes:

well actually, i just checked out there youtube channel, and they seem legit.
Oh, they've got a Youtube channel. That's ok then.

Is that sarcasm, roddy? ;)

We actually have lots of different social media. Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, YouTube, Picasa, etc.

We've attempted to create a large presence on the web to show that we are indeed a real company providing real training. Unfortunately, this isn't enough to satisfy unhealthy skeptics' imaginations.

theres just this one blog i found where the guy said all the posts about them were traced back to the same i.p. and they were a scam.

Apparently, the only "genuine" feedback for some people is negative. It's unfortunate that the naysayers out there can't believe that it's possible for some companies to provide a good, competitive program that people actually enjoy.

We're gratefully indebted to all past participants of our programs who take time out of their busy schedules to leave comments on forums and provide references for us. Those with healthy skepticism who do not trust forums and blogs can view our YouTube channel and see many fresh faces providing feedback on our course. We update the testimonials several times a year.

Two points:

- there's no age limit on F visas

- it's illegal to draw a salary on an F visa

OK, I have a new question then.

should I risk it?

I would really love to teach in beijing but I don't have 2 years of work experience, Which is required for a Z visa.

OMG, I just got an email back from them...

She said I was to young to teach, so don't mention that im going to be a teacher or i won't get an F viza.

which im sure they meant i can't use an F viza to teach english.

Well now i was wondering, about this invitation letter. Could one of you fine gents read it over?

I left some things out because of the rules i may break.

Invitation letter

Type of visa applied F1 visa (90 days)

Date 1st August 2010

To whom it may concern

Invitation letter for Mr JAY $$$$$, passport number(WG*****)

We are more than happy to invite you to participate with our company for business matters

concerning Cultural and Social activities for the benefit of Chinese students.

We look forward to welcoming you to Beijing, China and taking an active role on an Culture

Exchange Programme.

Regards

I've heard of people younger than 21 teaching in China, I don't think you'll get rejected for being too young. And when you apply for a visa, of course you need to show ID, unless you plan on using a fake passport and other fake details. I'd just give this school a miss unless you can be firm with them and get a Z visa and for them to cut the bullshit (which will never happen).

We are more than happy to invite you to participate with our company for business matters

concerning Cultural and Social activities for the benefit of Chinese students.

We look forward to welcoming you to Beijing, China and taking an active role on an Culture

Exchange Programme.

That seems quite odd, the school I work for invited me to become a teacher and teach. None of this "Culture Exchange" stuff.

That seems quite odd, the school I work for invited me to become a teacher and teach. None of this "Culture Exchange" stuff.

It's likely they've written it this way because technically he can't teach due to his age.

I imagine that the rules in Beijing are much more uptight than in other cities. If he was going to another city where the supply of foreign teachers was lower, a Z visa might be possible. However, it's not difficult to find mid-20's teachers in Beijing with at least a BA and perhaps even a TESOL / experience.

The danger in this situation is that this school, in Beijing, is going after the OP because they can't get teachers elsewhere. Teaching on an F visa is technically illegal, and if there are any legal issues, the school may not take any responsibility. They may not even be registered to lawfully employ foreign teachers.

JayW, you may be moving too quickly and just grasping after whatever is available in order to fulfill your dream. It may be best to go to college and get your BA first, and then try again. China, and Beijing, will still be here.

If you insist on coming over now, you should seriously considering doing a TESOL to make yourself more marketable. As it stands now, you're putting yourself in a position to be taken advantage of.