Chinese-Forums

Chinese funeral tradition - need help

Guest Twilight

First off I would like to say that this is a great site! :D

My very good friend in chinese, her father has just passed away, my husband will be one of the pall bearers. This will be a traditional funeral.

I need some guidance as to what to send my grieving friend and her family. Is there anything in particular that you would send traditionally? If flowers any one in particular? She already has all my love and support but would like to do something along her cultural lines to make it special.

Also any insight that you feel would help. I have come across a couple sites about colours to wear and not wear.

All help is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Twilight

• 1 month later...

Any color will do, except red. Black or dark color is more common than white. White is usually for the family only.

You can buy them some flowers, especially chrysanthnum, or other kind of flowers of yellow or white color, pink may do too, but never be red.

In some Chinese societies you're expected to give some donation (called "Bai jin", the number must be odd, never 100, make it 101, as it means that when you die, die yourself only, never die together, just avoid any even number.)