Chinese-Forums

Shenzhen University

ccaraway

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had experience living in the International Students Dorm at Shenzhen University? If so, how was it? My main concerns are: Shortages of water and hot water, lack of sufficient air conditioning, noise level, and general atmosphere.

Thanks in advance!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • New Members

Hello,

Does anyone have any information to share to about SZU in general? How is the university vibe? How are the teachers? How is life in Shenzhen in general? How are the dorms? Any knowledgeable input would be appreciated.

I will be coming to study Chinese at SZU, starting Feb.2013. Anyone also joining this Spring? It would be great to hear from you!

I have been working in Shanghai and Beijing for the past 2 years, and I now plan to move south. My Chinese level is decent, though nowhere near good enough for professional use.

Regards,

chaoyang25

• 3 months later...

When I went to visit the campus, I didn't see any foreign students there. All I know is that they don't offer any scholarships and that Chinese people prefer to study at other universities who offer graduate programs in Shenzhen.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I live in Shenzhen now and am also considering returning to full time language study. I already have rented a home here, so finding accomodations for the first year is a moot issue. My big challenge is to find a way to pay for it ;)

Has anyone heard of a masters degree in Chinese being offered in Shenzhen? I found a hint no a website but it did not pan out...maybe some school being overly optimistic?

• 4 years later...

I'm studying Chinese in SZU right now. The place is just great - palm trees, warm weather (compared to my home country, Finland) and nice people. And at first I thought you'd hear Cantonese all over, but no, I've used Mandarin in all places. English isn't spoken much in here, so it's a great place to go and study Chinese ;)

The teaching is very good, and they teachers are very, very friendly and funny, which makes studying fun. I'm in 初级B class, and the system goes like this (from the lowest level to the top)

入门A

入门B

初级A

初级B

中级A

中级B

高级A

高级B

我强烈地推荐深圳大学。如果有问题,你可以问我。

shenzhen.jpg

• Helpful 1

I think most of my classmates have been learning for one or two years (I had been learning in Finland for two years before coming here), so I think yeah, I entered as a third year student.

But I don't know for sure, because they have this placement test before the classes begin. They interview you in Chinese and ask you to read some characters from a book of whichever level they think you are. So if you've been learning Chinese in China for 6 months or five years in your home country, you could be at the same level and you'll be placed in the same class.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1