Chinese-Forums

From new HSK 3 to new HSK 4

chinopinyin

Getting to a higher level needs two different and important things, in my opinion.

First is to maintain what one already knows, and second is how to expand that knowledge in a sustainable manner.

Anki is a good tool to address first one (I personally use it every day).

Second one, how to expand, can be a personal preference (Anki for example), but I prefer to have a meaning attached to every batch of new words or characters. I can use this extraction tool to build vocab list out of given Chinese text. This way the new words stick much better, as they have context (and usage) I remember.

You might want to check what overlap there is between the new HSK level 4 vocabulary and the old HSK list A. I have not checked myself, but I am under the impression that there are more daily life and leisure words in the new HSK vocabulary, while the old HSK vocabulary focusses more on reading, so there might not be that many words in common.

Also, I think I read somewhere that the old HSK basic actually can contain words from both list A and list B.

These are why I don't really see the HSK basic exam itself as a stepping stone between new HSK levels 3 and 4...

(But learning the words from the old HSK list A helps a lot with general reading.)

@Panshibo: I fully agree with using some SRS, such as Anki. Most of my flashcards refer to sentences rather than words in isolation. I also try to have flashcards with audio

@edelweis: I share your impression that the old HSK was less oriented to the daily life.

Is there any textbook that you would especially recommend?

Have you used any mock test book for new HSK 4?

• 1 year later...

Next May I'm going to sit Hsk 3, but since the Confucius Institute in my hometown only offers HSK exams once a year, I thought that maybe I can study a little harder and sit both level 3 and 4... Is it crazy thinking of doing it in only two months? Should I "only" have to study the 1200 words HSK 4 has, or would there be other aspects that I have to practise to have chances to pass both tests?

I think it's a little difficult to answer you without knowing what kind of background you have and how much free time you will have to prepare for the test.

I mean, you could be studying Chinese full-time or only in your leisure time.

You could already know how to handwrite only a handful of characters, or 1000 characters.

You could already know 1000 Chinese words (just not the ones required for the test), or only the 600 words in the HSK3 list.

Same thing with grammar, listening ability, and reading speed.

There are mock-up exams online. You can try them to evaluate yourself.

(I think, if you find the HSK3 mock-up tests difficult and only study Chinese in your leisure time, going from HSK3 level to HSK4 level in two months is improbable.

On the other hand, if you find the HSK3 mock-up tests are easy, and study Chinese full-time, then it's possibly doable.)

(edited several times... my brain is tired)

I did HSK 3 and 4 within a month of each other (not back to back but similar).

Scored 280 on 3, 255 on 4 no studying in between. The only thing that was different was that I was clearly a level 4 student but wasn't sure at the time. So if you are unsure, you could just try to do it back to back ,won't hurt you. Also, the test isn't that long for level 3 and 4. The higher levels are longer and might be slightly problematic with fatigue, but 3 and 4 aren't bad.

If you are taking level 3 and 4, you only have to study level 4 as level 4 includes all the vocab of 1-3 and then adds some more for 4. So by studying for elvel 4, you are in default studying for level 3.

to the OP, I would just do whatever textbook you have like the Chinese practical reader series, and do a couple of mock tests.

Edelweis and Yialanliu, thank you both for your replies. You know, I read on Chinesetesting.cn that HSK 4 is intended for students who have studied for two academic years, and since in June I was going to finish my level 2 textbook, I thought it would be doable. However, Edelweis is right, mock exams will give me a good idea of what my Chinese level is right now. Today I took the HSK 3 mock test that's on chinesetesting web page and I scored 38/40 in 听力,30/30 in 阅读 and 9/10 in 书写。I'm feeling confident with this leve. Tomorrow morning I'll do the same with level 4, and see what happens!

HSK 4 you need to be able to communicate at a high standard. What i do is aim for 10 to 15 characters a day. And the two weeks leading up to the exam, just immerse yourself in everything Mandarin. Watch the shows, speak only Mandarin, (even when English is easier), then you should be find.

In case anyone was curious, here are my results of HSK 4 mock exam: 33/45 in 听力, 33/40 in 阅读 and I'm not sure about my score in 书写, since I imagine there are several correct answers, but I clearly wrote two wrong sentences, so if they were generous with the scores, around 13/15. I definitely will follow your advice, study the 1200 words of HSK 4 and try to pass both level 3 and 4 at the same time! Well, and the intermediate oral exam too, if possible. :shock::help