Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2011

Brian US

**Another great year and congratulations to the winners! Join us in the CSC Scholarship - 2012 topic for another round of applicants.

We have spent months putting together applications for the 2011 CSC Scholarship and now the waiting begins. I want to once again thank the community here for another great round. Each year we strive to improve and compile all the information to make it easier for all scholarship hopefuls.

The CSC Scholarship - 2011 topic will have information on the application process. Please keep discussion in this topic to the CSC Scholarship results.

**We don't know how/why the status of the online application changes. It is possible to still receive the scholarship without it changing.

I want to start off with some basic information to see how everyone applied:

1) What is your native country? U.S.

2) Where did you apply? The Chinese Embassy in Washington D.C.

3) When did you apply? Early February 2010

4) When was the deadline? April 30th

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No, this was my first time.

6) What program did you apply for? Two year language program followed by a three year master's program in Chinese Accountancy.

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Tsinghua University 2. Beijing University 3. Renmin University

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No

9) What agency number did you use? Tsinghua University

10) Where did you get your physical done? Used my Chinese physical from enrolling at Beijing Language University in September 2009.

11) How did you get your documents notarized? Just paid $5 to get an official sealed transcript from my university in the U.S.

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? I do not know, but I would like to start a collection.

Finally, for those getting results:

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? I was accepted for the scholarship starting September 2010.

14) How were you notified? By e-mail

15) When were you accepted/rejected? Accepted late July 2010

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Renmin University for one year language program and three year master's program.

This is where your application will be going:

Steps

1. You send your application to a third party representative of CSC (maybe your school).

2. The third party (OR you can apply directly) sends application to your native country's Chinese Embassy.

3. Your native country's Chinese Embassy sends your application to the Beijing CSC office.

4. The Beijing CSC office sends your application to your selected schools.

5. If and when a school accepts you, your acceptance is sent to the Beijing CSC office.

6. The Beijing CSC office sends your acceptance to your native country's Chinese Embassy.

7. The Chinese Embassy sends your acceptance and all needed documentation to you.

At any step of this process your application may be rejected. Again we don't know why, how, or when the decision is made. In the end, the school gets a final say on whether you receive the scholarship or not.

I know the scholarship results are released very late for those planning to move across the world, but please be patient. For most applicants, you will receive your results around June and July. It may be possible to contact the school directly to inquire about your application. Keep in mind that your application may have been sent to another school that was not one of your preferences. In this case the other schools will not have any information.

If you have specific questions about schools including accommodations, feel free to post your own topic or browse the content already on the forums.

The CSC scholarship is a huge collaborative effort, and I'm glad we're in this together. Good luck everyone!

1) What is your native country? CANADA

2) Where did you apply? The Embassy of the Republic of China in Canada (Ottawa, ON)

3) When did you apply? Fedexed it out on Dec 7th, 2010

4) When was the deadline? Dec 15th, 2010

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? First Time

6) What program did you apply for? One Year Language Program

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? Beijing Foreign Studies University, BLCU, Shanghai International Studies University (in that order)

9) What agency number did you use? I did not need one for some strange reason.

10) Where did you get your physical done? At my family doctor's medical clinic

11) How did you get your documents notarized? I didn't get them notarized. I sent in 3 official transcripts, 2 original reference letters and photopies as well.

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? HUuh???

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? I was accepted for the scholarship! I begin my studies in September 2011

15) When were you accepted/rejected? I received my notification e-mail in mid-April

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Beijing Foreign Studies University for 1 year language study.

1) What is your native country? Pakistan

2) Where did you apply? The Embassy of the Republic of China in Pakistan.

3) When did you apply? I sent it through TCS by 15th of April.

4) When was the deadline? April 30th, 2011

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? First Time

6) What program did you apply for? Bachelors Degree(4 years) in Mechanical Engineering(English)

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? Shanghai JIAO TONG UNIVERSITY, Nanchang University..

9) What agency number did you use? Don't remember, will post soon.

10) Where did you get your physical done? from a Govt. hospital.

11) How did you get your documents notarized? from a court for less than $2

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? no idea about this..

The problem is, I sent about 46 pages in total, whereas in the application form the limit was set to 20 pages..

that was because of different requirements were given to us by our Ministry of Education(we sent them the documents first and then they guided us to the Embassy)..

Results, not known yet..

• Like 1

1) What is your native country? England

2) Where did you apply? EU Embassy for CSC

3) When did you apply? Early March 2011

4) When was the deadline? March 30th

6) What program did you apply for? One year language program.

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Dalian University of Technology 2. Beijing Normal University 3. Qingdao Oceanview University

9) What agency number did you use? EU (00006 - something like that)

10) Where did you get your physical done? My GP

11) How did you get your documents notarized? At a solicitor firm

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? I didn't bother with this

1) What is your native country? Russia

2) Where did you apply? The Chinese Embassy in Washington D.C.

3) When did you apply? Mid. March 2011

4) When was the deadline? March 30th

6) What program did you apply for? One year language program

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. BLCU 2. Beijing University 3. UIBE

9) What agency number did you use? The Chinese Embassy in Washington D.C.(8401)

10) Where did you get your physical done? My university's Health Center

11) How did you get your documents notarized? Get an official sealed transcript from my university in the U.S.

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? I didn't bother with this.

• New Members

) What is your native country? Indonesia

2) Where did you apply? I Sent it direcly to the Targeted University.

3) When did you apply? Begining of March 2011

4) When was the deadline? KUST March 15th, Jilin University April 15th, SCUT Guangzhou March 30th.

6) What program did you apply for? Master Program

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. KUST 2. Jilin University 3. SCUT Guangzhou

8) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No

9) What agency number did you use? Three agency number of these university

10) Where did you get your physical done? In Private Hospital In Jakarta, Indonesia

11) How did you get your documents notarized? Get an official sealed transcript from my university.

1) What is your native country? Canada

2) Where did you apply? Chinese Consulate-General in Toronto, ON.

3) When did you apply? Late December 2010.

4) When was the deadline? December 30th (if I remember correctly).

6) What program did you apply for? Two year language program.

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Beijing University, 2. Tsinghua University, 3. Beijing Normal University

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No.

9) What agency number did you use? Number of Chinese Consulate-General in Toronto.

10) Where did you get your physical done? My GP.

11) How did you get your documents notarized? Got my transcript printed and sealed by the "Transcript Centre" of my university (the one from which I'll be graduating this year).

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? I do not know; I, too, would like to start a collection of them.

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? I was accepted.

14) How were you notified? Email from the Consul of Education, Chinese Consulate-General in Toronto.

15) When were you accepted/rejected? Accepted mid April 2011.

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Huazhong Normal University, for one year of language training (full scholarship).*

*I had a good chuckle when I found this out (you may notice that there is a discrepancy between the university to which I have been sent and the universities that I listed). I'm looking forward to Wuhan! :P

1) What is your native country? Poland

2) Where did you apply? Xiamen University

3) When did you apply? At the beginning of March 2011

4) When was the deadline? 15th of March

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No.

6) What program did you apply for? Master Programme.

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Xiamen University 2. Beijing University 3. Beijing Normal University

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Yes.

9) What agency number did you use? The Xiamen University Agency No.

10) Where did you get your physical done? Private Hospital in Poznań, Poland

11) How did you get your documents notarized? At notary office.

1) What is your native country? Argentina

2) Where did you apply? Argentinian Ministry of Education (as part of a program, no other way)

3) When did you apply? Late March

4) When was the deadline? March 28th

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. ECNU, 2. SISU, 3. FUDAN

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No.

9) What agency number did you use? Number of the Argenitinian embassy in Beijin (as told)

11) How did you get your documents notarized? Had to pay for the services of a notary and a translator who could make a notarized translation.

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? I don't know.

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? No, read below please.

14) How were you notified? Email from the Argentinian Ministry of Education

15) When were you accepted/rejected? Today (late April).

This is the process for Argentinian Candidates:

You have to apply to a program organized by the ministry of Education; can't apply directly as far as I know.

There are 4 scholarships available for Argentine students (our total population is a somewhere over 40 million).

Only 11 applied.

. . . and here comes what made me downright furious:

Apparently the envelopes were opened locally (that or they decided without opening them) and out of the 11 candidates, 4 were shortlisted for the Chinese authorities to choose from. Meaning, if it isn't obvious enough, that while the mail read something like "Attached you will find the results of our pre-selection process. . ." the Chinese authorities were handed 4. . . out of which to choose 4.

According to the mail the selection criteria were:

- compliance with basic requierements

- Academic background (I have a Bachelor's degree in Management, a Master's degree in Finance - both from a top tier local uni, I speak English, French and some very basic Chinese).

- English skills. (I lived in UK part of my life, I graduated high school at a bilingual institution, I'm fully fluent, my (short) letter was in English and mentioned these experiences)

- Professional background (nothing special, I work at large, local half-Chinese company)

- Incidence of the candidate's studies in the "development of the nation" (The company I work at is of paramount significance for both the local economy and the development of relationships with China)

- Links between the professional and academic development of the candidate and Chinese culture (maybe a weaker point as I don't specifically work directly with things that deal with the Chinese culture)

- Institutional incidence in the development of the candidate (wtf does this mean)

For the record, last year a language course scholarship was awarded to a clerical employee working in one of the many small English Language schools here in Buenos Aires who had just obtained her bacherlor's degree at the age of 31 so it never seemed like they were being extremely picky. . .

Still, what drives me mad is that the documentation was filtered locally and in a way that leaves no room whatsoever for the Chinese government to have a say. Tell me you need to sift through a hundred candidates but. . . eleven?!

Second, we were never announced that this could be the procedure - we were directed to follow the Chinese Scholarship Council application guidelines; things got weird when I got a mail from the local government asking for my resume.

According to the mail, the selection committee is made up of three people running the program.

Finally, the mail from the Ministry of Education had spelling errors. . .

Dude, you can complain the higher staff..

in my Country, Pakistan.. we also apply through the Ministry of Education and they mailed me afterwards saying that we have sent your name to the Chinese Embassy and now you may send your application forms along with the requirements directly to the Chinese Embassy :\ ..

What I know is Ministry of Education has to forward every application they receive to the Embassy :\ ..

My advice would be to complain the higher staff, asking that why was your application ignored and never even got to the Embassy :s

and spelling mistakes can occur, as English is not your official language, but thats not what you should really be worried about.

• Like 1

The spelling mistakes were on the local government communication, in Spanish, sent to me an others. It's pretty obvious no part of the process involved China or Chinese authorities - they are in fact telling you: "we have shortlisted 4 to forward to the Chinese authorities".

I'm not sure I can really complain to anyone - but yeah, I wish this was known. . .

1) What is your native country? Indonesia

2) Where did you apply? The Chinese Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia

3) When did you apply? In the middle of March 2011

4) When was the deadline? No idea, the embassy gave me no information

6) What program did you apply for? One year language program followed by two year master's program in Public Policy

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Peking University 2. Fudan University 3. Sichuan University

9) What agency number did you use? Peking University

10) Where did you get your physical done? a public hospital in my city

11) How did you get your documents notarized? from my university, University of Indonesia

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? I dont have any

2) Where did you apply? Chinese Consulate-General in Toronto, ON.

3) When did you apply? Late December 2010.

4) When was the deadline? December 30th (if I remember correctly).

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Sun Yat-Sen University, 2. South China University, 3. Beijing Normal University

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Yes, but.*

9) What agency number did you use? Number of Chinese Consulate-General in Toronto.

11) How did you get your documents notarized? Got my transcript printed and sealed by the "Transcript Centre" of my university.

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? Just used a signature.

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? I was accepted.

14) How were you notified? Email from the Consul of Education, Chinese Consulate-General in Toronto.

15) When were you accepted/rejected? Accepted mid April 2011.

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Sun Yat-Sen University, for one year of language training (full scholarship).

*I was pretty surprised when I saw the admission letter from Sun Yat-Sen since I had contacted them before and tried to apply and they basically said don't try, saying that they do not allow undergrads or Chinese language students to receive the CSC scholarship and it was only for grad students at their institution; they said if I wanted to be self-funded I could apply again during a later date.

I guess they were either misinformed, or I was just really lucky.

• New Members

@Alex Whiteman : The same process you described took place in my country, Mexico, in order to get the CSC scholarshiop, first you need to apply through the Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs, they received all the applications an then proceed to shortlist before forwarding to the China Embassy in Mexico.

I know this, because I recieved an e-mail from the Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs one month after the deadline in Mexico (March 11th) telling me that I have to go to the China Embassy in Mexico City in one week after to a reunion. In that reunion, the Embassy personnel told us (29 applicants in total) that we were lucky because we were previously selected from over one hundred applications. Then they give us our previously sent documentation and they told us to make a new set of the Application with no more of 20 pages.

They said that some of us didn't have the stamp in the picture of the medical exam so it will be invalid unless they bring a new one before one week (Thanks to this forum I had mine ;) ) And that we could have 21 or 22 pages max. After that we give back our applications and we kept the extra pages and some paper separators.

Finally they said this year they only have 24 Scholarships for Mexico, at first they had 30 for 2011 but because of scholarship extensions from previous years it was reduced from 30 to 24, so now they will ship our applications to CSC and they will decide who will have the Scholarships. And that only 14 of the 24 scholarships will come with flight tickets, and the other 10 we will have to pay our flight tickets.

The Chinese Embassy personnel were very friendly and they give us snacks and drinks, it was very nice

1) What is your native country? Jamaica

2) Where did you apply? I applied through the Ministry of Finance in my country, they shortlist and then send the shortlisted candidates to the The Chinese Embassy in Jamaica for an interview. Even when the interview is secured, we are still not guaranteed a space. The interviews have not started as yet, so we continue to wait.

3) When did you apply? Early February 2011

4) When was the deadline? February 25, 2011

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? Yes, this was my second time.

6) What program did you apply for? One year language program followed by a three/two year master's program in International Trade and Economics.

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Peking University 2. Renmin University 3. University of International Business and Economics (UIBE) I am not sure of the particular order for the second and third choice.

9) What agency number did you use? The agency number of the Embassy in my country.

10) Where did you get your physical done? My Family Doctor.

11) How did you get your documents notarized? I used a Justice of the Peace

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? I am not sure what this is.

@Brian US A friend of mine attends Renmin University he got the CSC Scholarship last year, he is currently doing the language program...maybe you know him:-) Thanks for all the insights, I just signed up after following from last year, but this forum has helped me so much and the wait continues.

dude, you scared me man ..

the same was the case with my country, (Pakistan) we had to send the documents first to the ministry of Education and they sent our names to the Embassy, and then told us to send the application to the Chinese Embassy..

now the problem was, we received a letter from the Ministry of Education regarding the Scholarship and it was something like this

"Your name has been shortlisted to the Chinese Embassy, please send your application with the documents mentioned below to the Embassy

1. 4 Application Sets

2. 4 Recommendation letter copies (one original+ 3 coppies)

3. 4 Attested Marksheet Copies (HSC)

4. 4 copies of the Medical Proforma

5. 4 copies of the SSC Marksheets" ( and some other things that I don't remember exactly but they wanted a total of 28 pages according to the ministry of Education )

now I got confused on the page limit.. so what I did was, I made two sets, one with the requirnments written on the application form and the other set had the requirnments from the Ministry of Education..

and the total pages got around 46 :( now do you think they can reject me because of this?? :(

Question : should I call the Embassy and ask them if this was wrong?

• Like 1

1) What is your native country? Philippines

2) Where did you apply? CHED

3) When did you apply? April 11, 2011

4) When was the deadline? April 15

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? Yes, but it was short-course.

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Fudan University 2. Chong Qing University 3. Nanjing University

9) What agency number did you use? CHED

10) Where did you get your physical done? At a local hospital with my internist.

11) How did you get your documents notarized? Just paid P200 for 2 copies of my transcript and diploma.

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? What? I Donno.

2) Where did you apply? The Chinese Embassy in Vancouver

3) When did you apply? Mid January 2011

4) When was the deadline? January 31 2011

6) What program did you apply for? Applied as a General Scholar to study Chinese and Finance

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Oceans University 2. Tsinghua University 3. Fudan University

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Yes

9) What agency number did you use? BC Agency #

10) Where did you get your physical done? With my family doctor

11) How did you get your documents notarized? Didn't have to have them notarized, my reference letters were sealed and signed.

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? Did not need..

Finally, for those getting results:

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? Yes

14) How were you notified? By letter from my government

15) When were you accepted/rejected? Accepted late Mid February

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Fudan University to study Regional Economics in ENGLISH. Was hoping to study Chinese. Sooo not what I was expecting!!

• New Members

2) Where did you apply? Chinese Consulate Toronto

3) When did you apply? Dec 20 2010 ish

4) When was the deadline? Dec 31 2010

6) What program did you apply for? 1 Year chinese language program

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1) Beijing Language culture university 2) beijing normal university 3) Dalian foreign language university

9) What agency number did you use? The one for the toronto consulate. its on the website.

10) Where did you get your physical done? On campus doctor. Cost around $70 even though healthcare is normally free in Canada.

11) How did you get your documents notarized? Highschool diploma notarized for free by highschool. got a copy of transcript from my university

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? 1 red stamp on visa application and 1 red stamp on university acceptance.

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? accepted

15) When were you accepted/rejected? mid april 2011

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Dalian foreign language university