Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua 2011 Chinese language

stephaniepainter3

Hi! I will be studying at Tsinghua from fall 2011-spring 2012 in the Chinese language program, and I will be starting as at the beginner level.

Anyone else?

p.s. I am from the USA boise, Idaho; How about you?

• Like 1

• New Members

Hi there. I am a grad student from Washington, DC. Also will be starting at the beginner level, but still trying to decide between Beijing Language and Culture University (BLCU) and Tsinghua U. Just curious: What made you choose Tsinghua?? Thanks!

Hi! I hope you come to Tsinghua! I applied to both BLCU and Tsinghua, and in the end I picked Tsinghua because of its status and history. I know that may sound like a dumb reason, but both language progams don't really provide information about the classes from which to compare (which I am sure you've noticed), so that's the only reason I have. B)

• Like 1

Hey guys, I just got recently admitted to Tsinghua's Chinese Language Program. I just wanted to create this thread so that we can get to know each other even before going there or at least help each other out with our questions :)

Admission documents would be sent in by mid-june that contains our inquiries with dorm reservations and what not. XD

by the way, i'm Christopher, 22, from the Philippines. It would be nice to meet you guys! XD

I am also attending Qinghua chinese language program starting from fall 2011. Hope you choose Qinghua over BLCU because what I have heard is that the quality of teachers is higher in Qinghua... But I guess it depends on your luck what kind of a teacher u get. By the way I am from Finland, a small country in northern Europe.

I have also been accepted to BLCU. The only reason why I choose Tsinghua honestly, is for its status, and my advisor said he would go to Tsinghua. The programs seem pretty similar. But I hope you go to Tsinghua! Why are you going to study Madarin? Do you hope to teach Asian Studies ect? I am planning to teach Modern Chinese History.

• Like 1

In addition, I have received by admission papers from BLCU, but not Tsinghua. Have any of you received your visa/ admission papers from Tsinghua yet?

• Like 1

HI there,

i also chose tsinghua over blcu because of it s reputation and also because at blcu 50 percent are foreigners which is a bit much I think. i m not beginner level but I hope to meet you all!!

anyway, I paid the admission fee last week and I think we will only get the visa admission papers in the end of june, maybe a bit earlier!

do we pay the courese fee once we are there?

Hi Kckathi! I am gald to hear that you will be studying at Tsinghua. I am pretty sure that we pay tuition ect when we arrive. What level will you be starting at? By the way, what is your full name? Mine is Stephanie Marie Painter. I would like to add you on Facebook if you don't mind.

• Like 2

Hi

I chose Qinghua university because it is my home university's partner university. I also haven't got the admission papers yet from Qinghua but they should arrive in two or three weeks. I started to learn mandarin because i wanted to understand chinese commentators in badminton... probably not the best reason to start to study a new language. My chinese teacher said that my level would be intermediate 1 but i think it is more likely elementary 2 or 3... but luckily there are level exams before the semester so I will get to a suitable level.

Hi everyone,

I just applied for Qinghua language program as well, awaiting my confirmation.

I chose qinghua because its the #1 uni in china, many government officials have studied here.

If you are in business later (depending what your purpose is) its the best place to get to know people.

I visited the campus 3 months ago to see a friend who was studying there. Classes are quality and so are the people.

Spoken english is of very high level (for china) and i easily spoke to everyone (Taiwanese, malaysians, czech... seriously, the people come from everywhere) practicing chinese is fun too.

Secondly there is this little street at liudaokou, which is close to qinghua.

Its a place with western bars, chill-out places etc. perfect for study, but also to meet people.

The place was packed around 15.00 some drinking, some studying.

I also had an exchange program to Lingnan university in Guangzhou. Also one of China's top universities.

Because of that i have experience in visa, health check, customs etc.(i know many people have questions about this)

The dormi's there were small and tight.

However, it is the cheapes/safest resolution to your stay there and the atmosphere amongst people was allways good.

Still i prefer to rent an appartment.

Might be looking for roommate's later

and oh yeh,

Im Freek van der Velden

23 years old

From Lisse, Netherlands studied in Amsterdam

Feel free to ask questions or add me on fb if u wanna.

Cheers!

• New Members

Hi everyone!

I'm coming from Montreal (Canada) and I just finally signed up a few weeks ago at Tsinghua university. I will also be joining the Chinese language program starting this fall (September 2011).

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in the class. By the way, I was wondering if anyone has received the papers from the university yet?

Best,

Lydia

Hi. I'm currently wrapping up my first semester at Tsinghua's Chinese Language Program. I have enrolled for summer classes at BLCU and another semester of Chinese classes in the fall at Tsinghua. As for my experience at Tsinghua, I was enrolled at the beginner level and took three classes (Speaking, Listening, and Comprehensive Chinese). I thought that two of the teachers were awesome, but that the other could have been better. I would be happy to answer any questions that you might have.

Hi lamchr, i just want to ask how the entrance exam would be and how will the usual tests be? what are the methods used and how did you study?

oh and, how did you pay for your tuition fee? i was thinking of using a card but will the added fee be too much? or is there any other way to pay aside from cash?

oh, and i'm glad to be able to meet you guys. see you this coming september! will be arriving at 12mn of september 5 :(

Hi Lamchr!

I have a few questions... Do you live in the international dorms? My boyfriend is coming to China with me and him and I would like to get an apartment, do you have any recommendations (website would be nice)? I would like it to be as close as possible to Tsinghua.

Is the subway expensive?

In addition, I am having a hard time getting someone from the Chinese program to reply to my email... Do you know if any of the staff (that deals with admission and tuition payment) have a Skype address?

by the way, where are you from? and what is your favorite thing about living in Beijing?

• Like 1

I was wondering whether is it different if you studly Chinese language only at Tsinghua, Beida, Fudan, etc, such prestigious universities and they worth the extra 3-4000 RMB/semester extra cost? My guess would be that you only have to pay the price of the name of the uni, but language is just language... Or these schools have exceptionally good track records of teachers? Maybe not, I really have no idea...

there are many apartments near tsing hua tho getting one requires an agent, well, at least its easier but it could cost up to a month's rent.

subways aren't expensive. i believe that each journey costs 2 RMB or around 0.35 USD

i've heard that not all teachers are great. two teachers are great out of three or sometimes just one out of three from tsing hua. read it in the earlier term of tsinghua in this forum as well.

choosing a school only sets the environment and studying materials for you, it's up to you to excel at it. even the cheapest school can bring out the brightest student, if he chose to study well. tho tsing hua is a very nice experience (i hope - going there this coming sept). who wouldn't want to study at the top school? :)