Chinese-Forums

Fudan University Fall 2011

Tiny

New Fudan student, fall of 2011, any tips?

Hey Guys, and new here and trying to find someone who is going to study at Fudan University in Shanghai during the fall.

Im also more then glad to accept tips about the student life in china, like is best to live in a dorm or rent an apartment? how do you manage economicly?

is it hard to be accepted as a "外国人" foreigner?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tiny

I'm going to Shanghai to study at Fudan for 2 semesters. A friend of mine, she recommended me to stay at the dorm, since going back and forth between school can be a pain depending on rush hour.

I've been so lucky, that I've saved a considerable amount of money, well at least enough to survive in Shanghai for a year. I believe I saw in a recent post, that you were from Sweden. Good thing I'm not only one wit a freakish language (Danish ^^).

Have you decided what to do with the medical examinations and vaccines.

Regards

Philip

• Like 2

Hello Tiny

Im only staying 1 semster so far:) That friend of your seam smart, I have also decided to stay in a dorm, have you decied yet?

I relay on CSN and savings as well..

Yes, Im Swedish^^danish? nice, my mother is danish so I understand..

If you only staying for 1 semster you dont need the medical examinations and vaccines.

Are you going alone or with friends?

When are you arriving in Shang Hai?

Best

Tiny

Hi Tiny

I will definitely stay at the dorm, since part of going to China was to meet some new people. Good thing you understand Danish, cause my Swedish is horrible. And yes, I'm going alone, though I seem to have talked my friend into visiting me during the national holidays in October :).

By the way, I'm somehow not authorized to write private messages yet, so I can't see the message that you've sent :).

Best regards

Philip

A word of caution: two years ago I signed up at Fudan for a 1 semester non-language course (social science, taught in English). After the application they mailed me that I was admitted, after that they just gave a few shreds of information and then nothing. In the end it turned out their admission papers arrived in the Netherlands 1 month after I was supposed to register with those papers at Fudan in China. I had to drop the study plans and find some alternative (never heard an apology from them).

Maybe this is only an issue at the non-language courses, or maybe they solved this. Anyhow, be careful with their international office and be very assertive to make sure they can't mess up your application.

beacause im going alone, I want some time to meat some new people and find the school.. Shanghai is big, so i need a couple of days to find the school:P haha

Do you know anyone else that are going to Fudan this semster ?

Best tiny

Ah definitely not a bad idea :).

If you get the chance (you must) go to some dim sum like restaurant and order xiao long bao. It is small dumplings with

crab meat in it and then you'll get a little bowl of vinegar for dipping. It is great!

I'm going all by myself.

Regards

Philip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Its nice to find a topic that interests me.

I have been accepted for the fall semester too in language program in Fudan University.

I think that i will stay in the dorms of Foreigner Students, room for 2, that is 55rmb/day/person, but i had friends that suggest to rent a apartment with friends that its more cheaper and i can have a rooms just for me.

Sorry my english. :)

Best from Portugal.

Hi Jzhou

I've thought about renting a apartment as well, but the problem is transport time. We most likely will have classes quite early and I hate getting up early xD. But yes, it is definitely possible to find an apartment, which overall will be cheaper and larger.

hello:)

yes, I was going to find a apartment at first, but now when Im goin alone, I dont want to rent one if a dont have anyone to stay with.

Are you staying for a year or one semester?

your english is great!

I gonna stay a semester first to see.

Than i gonna think to continue in Fudan or not.

I saw places near of Fudan like KIC Village or Tohee Internacional Student Village.

And i hate too get up early :x

I prefer go having fun at night, sleep until 1pm, and class at 2pm. AHHHHH!!

I dont know how the dorms works, if got time to enter and get out, if its only boys, and other girls, or all together. How the kitchens works, because i like to cook and the chinese food its not enough for me. LOL.

A lot of questions, e no answer.

For example:

Dorms for 2 person: 55/day/person X 31 days =1705

Type: Apartment for rent

Rooms: 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2 living rooms

Size: -

Price: ¥6,500

Area: Hongkou

6500 / 4 persons = 1625

Dorms you share and a 2 kitchens for each floor.

In appartment you got your owne room and kitchen for 4 persons.

• 4 weeks later...

hello people

The more I think of it i really would like to stay in a apartment during my stay in shanghai (at fudan University). I afraid that I wont be social in a dorm at fudan.. the more a read of the Campus it seems expensive and unsocial.

maybe im totally wrong?

I would like to find some people that also are going alone and wants to find an apartment, or ir anyone already have one and need a rommaate for the fall?

Im a girl, so maybe is sounds stupid but I think I prefere a female roomate or both, not only boys.

if ypu know anyone that are intrested in renting a new or need someone a new rommate pleace contact me.!

(Im sory for my bad spelling..)

best Tiny^^

Hey jzhou and tiny

When are you going to china? I've been thinking about it And might be

Keen to get an apartmemt instead of a room since i would have a lot more freedom during my stay. So if you're interested

We could try and find some people.

Regards

Philip

I had sent a email to TOHEE Apartments, but is already full for the fall semester.

Now i need to find a room in apartment to rent, or roomies to rent a apartment.

The dormitory got to many rules, and i saw some blogs that the chinese controlo our internet conection.

:(

Sounds great, I found this website in which you can find apartments to rent.

http://www.smartshanghai.com/housing/apartments-rent/

Some of them are actually quite nice and still affordable, I saw one with an indoor swimmingpool xD.

@Jzhou

All Chinese Internet is censured, google doesn't always work(As far as I know) and you can't connect to Facebook. But of course to any problem there will be solutions ;)