Chinese-Forums

Ocean University of China, Qingdao

Saxondale

I should be getting my admission package any day now :D

I'm quite surprised by the lack of information on the internet about people's experience at OUC. I'll be sure to stay on this forum to answer any questions about OUC in the future.

Please do! And also there'll be scholarship application topics starting up later in the year which you'll be able to help with.

Not sure about Ocean University - it's quite possibly relatively new, and may not have been offering courses for foreigners for very long.

• 6 months later...

Hi teukielove, I've already been there for one term and i'm about to start my second this March. I definitely enjoy studying there and i know many others do. There are 5 groups and you're allowed to go into any of them, with the flexibility of changing groups within the first week.

I started in group A, which is for beginners. You really do start with the basics (greeting, numbers, pinyin etc), which generally has a lot of westerners in. The higher you go, the more Koreans/Japanese you start to see. The classes are from 8 to 12 monday to friday, with a few breaks in between. They consist of speaking, reading, listening and writing; i'm actually very happy with the quality of teaching, despite the listening classes being very boring - this seems to be the generally feeling with the listening classes. The types of classes do start to change once you go to higher groups, but at the moment, i can't really give you much information about those groups!

I do find the teachers are quite relaxed and don't really care if you turn up or not. They plan group trips and try to get all the classes involved with activities outside of class.

I could go on and on but i think it would be better if you asked specific questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Well they've just gone through a "refurbishment" and i'm currently in the newest room. Quite a few rooms had new flooring put in, new glass showers and a lick of paint, but there's still a lot that are pretty old and falling apart. Generally, it's pretty good but it's also a huge unorganised mess when it comes to things like internet, running water and other little things. For example, my friends and i stayed a bit during the winter holiday, we paid for this (room, internet) but they cut off the internet because a lot of people had left. We had to deal with a lot of water issues (no hot/water) too, but this was all because of the refurbishment. This is still an ongoing problem.

You have everything you need and if anything goes wrong with your room, they normally get it fixed within the day. The people at the reception can speak english (level varies from person to person), which can be handy if you've just started Chinese. The location is perfect too, only a 10 minute walk from class and a 2 minute walk from the restaurants and small supermarkets. Buses are everywhere too. They're currently replacing the kitchen with another laundry room, which is a shame, but the kitchen was falling to pieces anyway.

Something i really like is how relaxed they're about things; my girlfriend stayed in my room for 2 weeks and they didn't care. You can literally bring anyone in and they won't say a word. Once the reception closes, there's a "guard" that sleeps downstairs but the door stays open, so you can come back at anytime.

Single rooms are 60kuai a night and double rooms are 35. If you're lucky, you can end up having a double room to yourself and still pay 35kuai.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, my name is Raul, I am a spanish guy who is going this september to Qingdao University in order to study one year chinese course.

Are there anybody else who is going to do the same course than me? Or someone who can give me any piece of advice about city and university?

Just applied for Confucius Institute Scholarship, my two host universities are Nankai in Tianjin and OUC in Qingdao, so there might be a chance that we will go to the same place :)

thrice, are there a lot of foreigners in Qingdao? (Korean and Japanese students don't really matter, I think they rather speak Chinese than English) I choose Tianjin because I was told there are not too many liuxuesheng there (of course, Nankai and TUT has some, but not like Beijing or other nearby cities), but I don't know what the situation in Qingdao. I know that it is a beautiful city and was the most liveable Chinese city in 2010, so I won't be sad if Nankai turns me down and Qingdao accepts me :)

There's a nice balance of westerners in Qingdao, enough to make friends, enough to not really notice them. I'm finding there's more during summer, so i'm guessing a lot of them are tourists. The expat community is quite small, especially compared to Shanghai/Beijing, so you'll start to recognise some familiar faces pretty quickly.

You'll find a few Koreans will want to speak English too, since it's something they study back in Korea but don't have the opportunity to speak it. As long as you keep speaking Chinese to them, they won't start speaking English.

• Like 1

• New Members

thrice12, where do you recommend me to stay in? fushan campus? yushan campus? now i am waiting for the admission i have already paid today the fees to oceanic university. And i wanna a share room, i think is the best choice to meet friends and practice chinese. what do you think?

I didn't have the option to choose which campus but definitely go for fushan. It doesn't feel like a campus at all but it's in a perfect location; very close to the beach, major bus stops, restaurants, supermarkets etc

meeting friends is easy, so don't let that play a big factor in deciding which type of room to go for.

which level are you going to start in?

• Like 1

• New Members

well, i have been studying three months, only two hours per week but i think i am learning fast, so i suppose i will start in the lowest or second lowest curse, dont know. Hehe ok, i hope go to fushan campus too, other question, how much would i need per month to eat, for example at university, I guess there would be the cheapest place, right?

If i was you, I'd start in the lowest class but in the faster group. Its all about reading and writing though; you can be almost fluent but if you can't read or write, you'll struggle, so definitely go in the lower faster group if that's the case.

I don't eat in the canteen, but it's probably the cheapest. I eat just outside the dorm, since the street is full of restaurants and street food. if you were eating on your own, you might be looking at 25 kuai a day, but that can definitely vary. I'm probably doing about 45 on food a day, since i normally eat out with a few friends and we buy a lot of food.

• Like 1