Chinese-Forums

Now that I got it, they REFUSE me the CSC scholarship!

Pingu

Hi everyone,

I'm french and I just arrived in China to complete my double degree at Fudan university, Shanghai. Around July, I received the admission letter from the CSC granting me the full scholarship for the master I will be doing there. Full scholarship means of course, as it says by itself and as written on the official document I received: exempt from (among others): tuition fees, on-campus accomodation, medical fees and insurance, textbooks etc.

We were supposed to pay online (between Aug 11-26) or to pay once at Fudan, but with a fee amounting to 5% for the delay. By the way, on the day of registration I reckoned that many of the international students had met troubles to pay online, and even at Fudan.

When I was still in France, during the period "we" were supposed to pay online, I preferred to make sure and ask for a FORMAL confirmation that I would not have to pay any fee, in order to avoid any issue once at Fudan. Many members of the International Students staff at Fudan told me that I had nothing to pay... until a man, working at the head of the faculty I will be studying at (and occupying a huge position within the Party), randomly told me that: "sorry, but there is a misunderstanding. You still need to pay the tuition fees. I will hold a meeting of the program board later and tell you what we figured out".

You can already notice how much the latter's decision was arbitrary and unfair, given that I got all the legal documents indicating that I have been awarded the CSC full scholarship!

So before flying to China, I basically told him that I would not take the on-campus accommodation (this was a way to tell them: "I will not be that expensive to you" but it turned out against me, see below). The reason for this polite refusal was that my companion is going to live with me in Shanghai, and given his working place and since Fudan University is far from the centre, he would not be able to make it everyday to his company (located downtown). So this was a justified reason and not an indicator of the fact that I didn't need the money I had been legally and officially granted.

Then I arrived in China and decided to proceed to the registration and see what happens. We basically had to go through 4 lines : the first being the one of the tuition payment, and the following - approval to get the residence permit form, approval to make an appointment for the health check-up, approval to get the on-campus dorm etc. Of course the second line was only accessible once we validated the first etc; so nothing was possible without paying the tuition fee first (unless... you're granted the full scholarship of course!). Well, in my case I decided to wait in line for the tuition-fee line to see what happens: actually they almost "bent" in front of me and asked me not to pay anything! So the official paper I got duly means that I have nothing to pay, and this was again confirmed later with the other lines (i could make all the administrative processes without trouble this day, and without paying one kuai, except maybe for the medical appointment: something like 4 Euros).

Then when I came back home and read my emails, I saw what the program board ARBITRARILY figured out: My master is not a "NORMAL" master (it is English-taught, which is still covered by the CSC scholarship, and which i got anyways), and the CSC didn't know that (like if it was my fault). And basically, the same guy goes on by saying that, instead of 8000 Euros I will be given ... 300 Euros plus "a monthly stipend". First, he turned my full scholarship into a joke (300E). Then he does not tell me the amount of the stipend (which will be arbitrarily fixed later at something like... 10E I guess?). Then, it is for me to pay the "mistake" of the CSC, and to finish... He announces that if I ever dismiss the on-campus super offer (I recall that I previously and gently told this guy that I would not take a room at the dorm), then I would get... nothing, no money whereas I was awarded a full-scholarship.

All that because I wanted to make sure, when still in France, that I would not meet any problem, and in spite of my legal and official attribution of this full scholarship.

If one of you can ever think of one solution, or already met this problem - who knows? - please tell me, and especially what kind of interlocutor would be best suited for my case.

I am going to try the french consulate and embassy, and I am just about to take it higher verily to a lawyer. But I should maybe start with a member of the CSC? In any case, I don't know how to get them in touch personally.

Thanks again

Is this post referring to the master's in teaching Chinese program?

No, that's a Confucius Institute issue, this is the CSC.

You say this is an English-taught course -are the fees higher than a standard masters?

Nope, it's an English-taught master in International Politics, newly established between my home university and Fudan. I could not retrieve the thread you're referring to, do you know in which section it was posted? thank you anyways !

Roddy, the fees are 80,000 rmb, which is indeed higher than other programs.

I'm not surprised you've hit problems then. Regardless of whose fault it is, I doubt you'll get 80,000RMB out of CSC - they could fund a classroom full of language students for that. Can't see Fudan agreeing to waive the fees, but if they've got spare seats, who knows - see if you can get someone from your university to make representations to their university. Consulates and lawyers would be premature at this point.

The issue with the Confucius Institute scholarships is irrelevant.

• Like 1

Brian US, no I simply applied through their website, and a member of my University staff (in France) also sent the form to all master's students (even if we knew only one or two of us would get the scholarship).

I really don't know what to do, who to address, because when I go through regisration steps for the moment everything's fine, as legally expecetd... I really hope they're not gonna ask me to pay the sum suddenly, under the guy's orders...

Anyway thank you all for your help

Don't know what's best to do, anyone got any ideas? The most plausible solution I can see is playing dumb - if they ask for fees tell them to get in touch with the CSC. I doubt the CSC will pay, but if you're from the partner university and they have spare seats, maybe they'd let it pass? Doesn't seem too likely, and certainly not if it's a two or three year course. Presumably you're not interested in transferring to another normally-priced course. Even if you do fight it with CSC, it could take ages to sort out and will be a massive distraction, if the university let you continue attending classes.

It sounds like a CSC error, but it would have been a remarkable stroke of luck to have them pay for that course - if you'd posted the details on here earlier (no reason why you would have, of course) I suspect someone would have told you something isn't right.

Actually it's only for one year, so maybe my cause will be heard... Anyways I'll try to keep you guys posted. And yeah, what I'm afraid of most is that it is probably going to take a long time to sort this out but anyways my only goal is to make them accept their "mistake" and act accordingly, fairly for me.

I'm getting in touch with my home university, and I am going to call the consulate too, to feel somehow protected against "their arbitrary". But I doubt again the consulate will tackle my issue rightfully. To be continued

Yeah their purpose is to protect you in serious circumstances... But since I am determined to defend my rights until the end, maybe they don't want the matter to be eventually taken higher, or they would give me the rights persons to get in touch with instead.

The thing is, I don't want to have exclusive Chinese interlocutors given the inner contradictions in their system.

my only goal is to make them accept their "mistake"

Just a side note. Trying to make someone do something in China often has the opposite effect you intend. Fight for your rights of course, but just be careful you don't try to back people into a corner by showing them how they are wrong.

• Like 3

I'll agree with both of them. And if it has to be someone's fault, definately don't make it the people helping you.

Play the poor victim student card who came here paying for the expensive plane ticket based all upon the scholarship, without which you don't think you would be able to find enough money to study. You really appreciate all the help the people are giving you. I find being rather annoyingly persistent, but always polite and thanking at the same time, and only because you're stuck in a position not of your own fault that you can't get out of without their help.

And, maybe mention that at least it's an interesting read that has greatly increased the viewers of your site who are interested in the conclusion and you're really hoping you can give them good news soon.

The blog is in facebook, not easy to see from china... and maybe create it too, I never like to lie without absolute undeniable proof that it's not a lie.

I've found that every school in China is terrified of the media and anything bad that gets publicized too heavily.

Just mention it at a joking side statement, and not too much, as if it's a little funny thing to you, but it's nice to have extra visitors. You don't even realise the implications it would have on them, or how much they might over-think it.

Heilongjiang University and the H1N1 dormitory quarantines... Some photos of the food they received got on the web and to the media... The food improved amazingly over night.

Maybe hear what others think of my thoughts before saying anything though.

Definitions

Hes, 50% hers, 50% his. Only for use with those who don't fill it out in their profiles.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry i haven't replied for ages... I have been busy doing all the registrations prossesses.

As for the present issue, i had to go through the french consulate so as to get in touch with this 'untouchable' CSC, which they eventually managed to do.

I didnt get the 'apologies' i expected, they just said it was a 'misunderstanding' instead, because basically no one is ready to pay for my program now, indeed.

So hopefully i will get a partial scholarship, at least. I will let you know.

Thanks for your help anyways!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow I'd be very interested to hear what happened here.

I got admitted to Fudan on MA in Chinese Economy (English taught program) on SGS. They're supposed to pay for my tuition, give me free accommodation, pay for textbooks, insurance and give monthly stipend.

The tuition is 50,000 per year and it's a two year course. I certainly cannot afford to pay for it and reading this post I'm starting to worry... my name is online and course is listed too, got official admission notice as well and all papers but it looks like the person who created this post was in exactly the same position...

I hope everything will be all right. If anyone has any updates it'd be great to hear!

Cheers

Pete

• 1 month later...