Chinese-Forums

First Episode 88: 男人帮 (Men)

simplet

The style reminds me a lot of 《好想好想谈恋爱》in that depicts a kind of western style of living, yet is based in China, I mean drinking tea/coffee from a cup with a saucer? And a guy supposedly saving a deposit for a house, yet living in an apartment that would probably cost close to 10,000 RMB a month to rent? Well, suffice to say some suspension of disbelief is required :mrgreen: Not that it takes away from the show, but it's just funny to watch these things.

@renzhe, feel free to move this to the GFEP.

Personnally I stopped paying attention to all these material contingencies in chinese shows the day I watched the 爱情公寓2 episode where the (apparently jobless) orphan studying to be a lawyer organized a charity event to raise money for his orphanage three nights running on his own dime, and on top of that payed for all the "big stars" contributions every night. I guess he could afford it though because it was in that magical private club in the middle of Shangai were they sell cocktails for 8 kuais a piece.

Watched the first episode and agree that it was interesting and not very hard to understand. Not sure I would categorize this as a sitcom, though. It's certainly tragicomic, but not in a way that busts my gut. I'll continue on to episode 2, but I feel the hour-long format really hurts these types of shows. It's hard to maintain comedic momentum over such a long running time.

This show reminds me a bit of how 媳妇儿的美好时代 was in its first few episodes. I hope the comparison ends there, though, because that show became really sad after a certain point and the latter half was nearly devoid of comedy.

Up to episode 7 now. Episode 6 was pretty bad, and I thought about dropping this show then and there, but I had already downloaded episode 7 so I'm going to forge on for one more episode.

The problem with this show is pretty much as I feared, the comedy just sort of dries up over such a long running time. There are a lot of characters, but unlike 爱情公寓, there aren't that many plot threads since not all the characters have to show up in any given episode. So if you don't like what's going on with the main character then you're out of luck because there's not much else going on. And for the most part, I don't find 顾小白 all that appealing for a main character. He's definitely a jerk, but not witty, charming, or hapless enough to make him interesting.

UPDATE: Just finished watching episode 7. I won't be continuing with this show.

Bah I'm up to episode 3 so far, and it does look as if it's not going to be as good as the first ep all the way but I still like it a lot. Ep2 was ok, episode 3 is awesome though, mainly because the childhood friend/ aspiring movie star is in it a lot and I love her. I do feel like the main character is going to start getting on my nerve at some point but I'll try to not watch too many episodes at a time, hopefully that'll delay it a bit.

I've watched 3 episodes. I don't love it, but I like it enough to carry on. When I get bored, I just count how many times they switch glasses.

It's still not clear to me why 孙红雷 is not undercover. I'm holding out hope that this will be a major plot twist. He's just posing as a whiny curmudgeon, but is actually a fashion special agent trying to uncover a huge black market of scarves.

I've been watching on qiyi (if you download their player, it usually lets you skirt the region restrictions).

@Gleaves: You basically pointed out the major flaw of this series: 孙红雷 is totally miscast in the lead role. With his deep voice and serious demeanor, he would be perfect to play a writer with an intellectual bent. But an egocentric douchewad is a tougher sell.

• 1 month later...