Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2012 American/EU Applicants

Brian US

This topic is for discussion on the American and EU application process.

***The 2012 CSC Scholarship is coming to an end. We have a new topic started for the CSC Scholarship Results - 2012 to discuss scholarship results. Thanks to everyone who participated this year and I hope all the lurkers will join us in the next couple months. If you still have questions about the application process you may post it in the new topic.

So a member sent me a message he received from the Chinese embassy in Germany that the EU scholarship is still available. Here is a quick google translation into English:

Colleagues from the Chinese Mission to the EU, I have informed me that the EU-Window program will run from 2012 on. You may complete the online form and let the person responsible Mr. KE send your documents. If you have further questions, please contact Mr. Ke. He is his email: kechangqing@mail.moe.edu.cn reach.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

PAN, Mengqiu

Zweite Sekretärin

Abteilung für Bildungswesen

Botschaft der VR China in der BRD

Dresdener Str. 44, 10179 Berlin

Tel: 0049-30-24629310

Fax: 0049-30-24629325

Email: 07@de-moe.edu.cn

www.de-moe.edu.cn

I don't know if this is for German applicants, the CSC didn't inform this guy that the EU application has expired, it got renewed, or maybe it's all one big joke. Your guess is better than mine. EU applicants feel free to apply, but try contacting your Chinese embassy for a further explanation.

The general discussion may be found here with supporting information and discussion on last year's results here. Non-US/EU applicants should go to the Other Applicants topic.

Message me for the US and EU contact information. New members cannot message, so post here and I will enable it for you. For the online application use the agency number 00006 for the EU and 8401 for the US.

Deadlines (not updated but based from last year):

US: March 15th, 2012

EU: March 30th, 2012

• Like 1

I will be applying for the first time for a year of Mandarin study. I'm a US citizen from New Jersey. The first issue is the health form, which I hope to get filled out in Malaysia or Bali before I go home. Not sure how long that will take, though. I am traveling and will only spend a few days in each city. In January, I will send my application to the PRC consulate in NYC, though I haven't seen their agency number listed. Beijing Foreign Studies University is currently my top choice.

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for this thread and for all the other amazing threads at Chinese-forums. This site has been an amazing help for answering all my questions about studying in China. Love coming here!

This year I'll be applying for the scholarship. I'm busy gathering all the materials such as recommendation letters from professors etc. It's a slightly stressful process, but also a good challenge.

I'm hoping to win the scholarship for a 2 year English master program, hopefully at Tsinghua University. Fingers crossed!

BTW, I'm applying from the Netherlands. We have an organisation here which takes care of the Dutch side of things, and which sends all the application materials to the CSC people. So technically I'm not applying for the European scholarship. From what I gather the application requirements are also slightly different, as the Dutch organisation doesn't mention taking a medical exam beforehand. On the other hand, I do have to get official English translations of all my documents, which people just have to be willing to provide (grrr)!

Anyways, hope we can all help eachother figuring out all the details! Figers crossed for us all ;).

Hi, I'm an American currently in my final year of a masters program in Madrid, Spain and planning on studying for 1 year afterwards in China (hopefully with the assistance of the CSC). Given that I am a US Citizen, but currently resident in Spain, is there any change to my application process? I assume I would fill out the application as if I were in the US and send to the US address, does this seem reasonable?

I'll be applying even though I'm currently studying in Taipei. I wonder how they'll like all my documents coming from the "rebel province." :mrgreen:

I applied last year and didn't get it. I'm not expecting to get it this year either, and even if I do I might not take it. It all depends on where I get placed. My current school has high-level courses that will be useful for me, like reading academic articles, advanced 文言文, etc. If I win the scholarship and get placed somewhere that will allow me to study such things, then great, but if not I have no problem staying in Taiwan another year.

Incidentally, I'm open to ideas on where to apply for such a thing. I don't want to take up space in this thread, but if anyone has any recommendations for such a program on the mainland, a PM would be appreciated. I'll be searching the forums in the meantime.

Hello fellow CSC forum members. I am an American currently doing a masters program centered on Daoist studies. I will be applying to do a Masters at either 1) Sichuan University, 2) Peking University, or 3) Renmin University. I hope the government will be willing to finance my studies of all things 迷信 ; )

hi guys,

Im also going to aplly for the scholarship with the aim of doing my masters and learn chinese in beijing. I have allready studied as an exchange student in beijing institute of technology for 4 months so i allready know a lot about living in China. Like kike I'm also applying through the dutch organization.

My top 3 universities:

1 Beijing Daxue

2 Renmin Daxue

3 Tshinghua Daxue

The thing I'm worried about is the chance of actually getting selected because of the limited places available.

Firstly let me say how helpful this sight has been. So much information provided by people, really great stuff.

I applied for the scholarship last year. I was living overseas at the time and had to quickly round up all the information before the closing deadline, I shipped it express to the embassy but they refused to accept it, after reading through all these topics on the CSC it seems that its not as easy as just sending it to the Chinese Embassy in London.

I was wondering if you could please enable the messaging service on my account or simply send me the EU contact information to apply for the 2012 CSC.

@Alexander Meulema...

Cool seeing a fellow Dutchy :D! So which master are you hoping to do?

Anyway, I was hoping you might know something about this: I emailed Nuffic to see whether or not we actually have to take a physical examination, and they sent me back an email saying that we have to get a statement from a doctor saying we're healthy (gezondheidsverklaring). But that sounds awefully vague to me, as it could mean anything. So do you know anything about this? Are we required to take the examination or not? I hope not!

I'm worried about the placement too. I have absolutely no clue as to how many people apply to the scholarship per year!

This seems like as fitting of a place for this as any.

When I was going through this process last year, I scoured everywhere for an example of a study plan. I'm one of those people who like to learn from examples. Anyway, I wasn't able to find one.

I've attached the one I submitted with my (successful) application last year in hopes that it may be of some use to others.

kdavid Study Plan CSC 2011.pdf

• Like 2

Anyway, I was hoping you might know something about this: I emailed Nuffic to see whether or not we actually have to take a physical examination, and they sent me back an email saying that we have to get a statement from a doctor saying we're healthy (gezondheidsverklaring). But that sounds awefully vague to me, as it could mean anything. So do you know anything about this? Are we required to take the examination or not? I hope not!

When I applied through the US, I used an older physical examination. The DC contact didn't really mind, but wanted to make sure I had updated HIV tests done. I would try to get more clarification, or try to follow the forms posted on the main website.

Sorry to sound stupid, but when/how can I apply

The general topic has all the information. As the deadline isn't until March, you can start looking into it January.

@kdavid

Awesome writeup there! Mind if I put it in the main topic? I personally got by with more of a cover letter format and about 200 words...but you set a new bar.

@Kike

I haven't really looked into the physical examination but reading the older topics i think it is best to have it up to the standards the csc requires because they still have final pick when it comes to the scholarship.

As for my master itself i haven't really specified it yet because of the lack of information on the university sites but im planing on getting a mba or a master in international marketing or something else in that area but my main goal is to learn Chinese.

I did ask nuffic if we had to attach a bachelor diploma right away but they replied to me that if you don't have it yet that you need to state the date when you are going to get it.

What I'm curious about is the profile of dutch people that succeeded in getting the scholarship like for example their GPA. But i haven't found any other dutch person on this forum that succeeded in getting the scholarship so this could eather mean that there arn't that many people that apply or that they just don't like to share information :P.

@kdavid

Awesome writeup there! Mind if I put it in the main topic? I personally got by with more of a cover letter format and about 200 words...but you set a new bar.

Go ahead! Hopefully it can help give others an idea of what's been done in the past.

@ Alexander Meulema

Actually I get the feeling that not too many people apply for the scholarship in the Netherlands. Through conversations I've had with people (even professors) none seem to really know anything about education in China- it's just not so well known yet. Also in comparison with the EU, the Nuffic offers many more scholarships: 25 in comparison to the 100 that the EU offers. That's quiet a lot I reckon. If I remember correctly Nuffic has also only been offering scholarships for non Chinese education students for two years or so. The scholarship is thus fairly new.

But I dunno... I'm hoping that the GPA requirement will be something like a 3.0. Whenever universities in the Netherlands ask for some sort of academic standard for acceptance, it's usually a minimum GPA of 3.0 (average of 7). I'm guessing it will be the same for Nuffic.

When I applied through the US, I used an older physical examination. The DC contact didn't really mind, but wanted to make sure I had updated HIV tests done. I would try to get more clarification, or try to follow the forms posted on the main website.

I'm afriad I'm just going to have to make an appointment at the hospital... or wait for a reply from the CSC (which is taking a long time).

If there are two things that I find the most irritating, it's the English proficiency test and the physical exam, haha.