Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2012 Other Applicants

Brian US

This topic is for discussion on the application process for other non-US/EU applicants.

***The 2012 CSC Scholarship is coming to an end. We have a new topic started for the CSC Scholarship Results - 2012 to discuss scholarship results. Thanks to everyone who participated this year and I hope all the lurkers will join us in the next couple months. If you still have questions about the application process you may post it in the new topic.

The general discussion may be found here with supporting information and discussion on last year's results may be found here. American and EU applicants should discuss here.

See main discussion for which agency number to use for the online application.

Deadlines (not updated but based from last year):

Generally should be April 30, 2012

Argentina-March 28, 2012

Australia-December 26, 2011

Canada: Ontario Dec 15, 2011

British Columbia January 31, 2012

Ottawa December 20, 2011

Indonesia-March 2012

Jamaica-February 25, 2012

Malaysia-April 30, 2012

Morocco-March 30, 2012

Pakistan-April 30, 2012

Philippines-April 15, 2012

Poland-March 15, 2012

Russia-March 30, 2012

• Like 1

Hello everyone!

Where are you applying from? Chennai, India

Just studying Chinese or pursuing a degree? PhD in Marketing management and 1 year of Chinese Study

What did your local Chinese embassy say? To follow up with Indian Ministry

Where and how did you get your papers notarized? Authorized notary dealer, just went to high court complex and found so many notary dealers to notarize my certificates.

Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No

Where did you get your Physical Exam done? Will be doing with my family doctor or in a Government hospital

Anything else you learned or would like to share? In the Indian ministry application, they might not mention about reference letters and SOP. But be sure to have it handy and they might at last minute ask for one. I was able to reach the ministry through my friend and this is what I am told.

Indian application process: application starts by 4th week of Jan or 1st week of Feb. End date shall be till mid-March. Interview in April and results in May. The interview shall happen with Indian interview panel (I still don’t have any idea on what kind of interview it is), then the selected candidate will be nominated to the Chinese embassy for scholarship. Then the embassy will forward applications to CSC. The CSC will apply for colleges. You gain admission in college, you get scholarship. This is what I have gathered so far from our government officials.

Good luck people!

--

Jamuna

Natalie Charlotte Chua

Hello Brian,

Thanks for starting this thread again. I got myself much more familiarized with the scholarship system. However, I am from Singapore. Do you have any idea what's the dateline for Singapore generally? Also, I am planning to apply for the scholarship for the school Beijing Film Academy in Performing Art. Do you think it is possible? As from what I know, we are required to go there for their entrance exam. Would they just accept a student on scholarship?

Do you have any idea what's the dateline for Singapore generally?

No, I do not know. The application is outdated but did list an April 30th deadline.

First, try to contact the Chinese embassy/consulate in Singapore for specific information. From last year I noticed many Southeast Asian countries had applicants apply to schools directly, which can be much more complicated as the application/requirements will vary greatly. You may need to deal with the school directly, the CSC in Beijing, the Chinese embassy in Singapore, or a combination of all the above.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Brian. Thanks for creating this forum. I've been waiting for it. I did apply for the scholarship this year but I got rejected because my document was incomplete. So I hope this forum can help me to improve my application for next year's application and hopefully that time around I'll be one of those lucky applicants who'll get the scholarship.

Brian, can you tell me about your own personal experience? I mean, when you applied for this scholarship, in your study plan, what are the things that you emphasized the most? Was it totally about academic alone or did you add another things like your extra curricular activities and stuffs? And about the 2 recommendation letters, do I have to ask my lecturer to make copies of the letter they have written as well? (Since we need to make copies for other documents right?). Besides, do I have to submit certificates of my achievements in non-academic activities like sports etc?

Brian, I want to know about your own personal experience. When you applied for this scholarship, in your study plan, what are the things that you emphasized the most? Was it totally about academic alone or did you added another things like your extra curricular activities and stuffs? And about the 2 recommendation letters, do I have to ask my lecturer to make copies of the letter they have written as well? (Since we need to make copies for other documents right?). Besides, do I have to submit certificates of my achievements in non-academic activities like sports etc?

I think Extrapages said it best back in 2009? Basically I talked about how awesome I am and how awesome China is, and with both of us being awesome we would be more awesome together. Kdavid put together a better one (currently in the American/EU topic), which I'll put on the main topic. I made copies of my letters of recommendations, but sometimes people don't feel comfortable giving you something they wrote about you. It's up to you and how much you want to hassle the people giving you a recommendation, so they could print off a copy or just give you one and you make the copies.

When it comes to other non required documents, like sports achievements, use your best judgement in what you think best represents you as a candidate for a scholarship.

Thanks Brian. I've started working on my essay. And one more thing,since my exam transcripts and other certificates are neither in English nor Chinese, I need to translate them first before submitting right? But the problem is that the translation fee is too expensive here in my country. Is it okay if I just get my English Language lecturer to translate and authorise all the transcripts and certs?

Is it okay if I just get my English Language lecturer to translate and authorise all the transcripts and certs?

I don't know. I suppose it would be fine as long as it looked official. I personally never got anything notarized, but then again, all my documents were in English.

Hi all,

I thought the CSC was open to all applicants...does any have any idea?

I guess its probably different from country to country. Things here in Ethiopia are definitely different. I went to the Chinese Embassy to ask about application for the CSC. They directed me to the Ministry of Education because they are supposedly responsible for handling the application process and not the Chinese Embassy. So, I went to the Ministry of Education to ask and they said they have never before taken applications for the CSC. They informed me that usually the Chinese Embassy forwards a quota of open spots for the scholarship and the Ministry of Education forwards this information to government offices so they can nominate some of their employees. So apparently no individual applicants are allowed and all scholarship positions go to government employees or something like not (not very clear). I'm not sure if there are any other Ethiopians on this forum but just a heads up that this whole process seems to be completely different in Ethiopia. And if anyone has ANY info on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm hoping there are other scholarships for international students besides the CSC.....?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, i'm from Moscow, Russia. Just finished filling in the online form, next week just after the NY holidays i'm going straight to the Embassy. I've chosen to apply to one-year language courses, Xiamen University as the preferable one. When i'm back from the Embassy, i'll try to share the information i got there.

Also, the Agency number of the Moscow Embassy is 6431.

• Like 1

• New Members

Hello, my name is melisa from indonesia too (surabaya) . Aya, do u know the agency number of our country? i've searched it, but i can't find it. i've call the chinese embassy in jakarta, and they say they haven't known it yet. thank you. by the way, where do u from? from what city?

I am from Trinidad and Tobago, last year the scholarship was advertised through our country's ministry of public administration. I called today and they didn't seem to know anything about the scholarship or if it will become available. Should I apply directly to the Chinese embassy here in Trinidad?

@Brian

I'm trying to apply this scholarship for my brother. Currently my brother is in 4th semester in China and away from home country (Indonesia)

Will there any problem if I represented his application instead of himself?

*sorry for my bad english

@bloonde

Hello. Well obviously I'm not Brian and I'm not a recipient of this scholarship yet, just someone who's in the process of applying. Just to give you my personal opinion based on what I know. Isn't it better is your brother apply on his own? Because if I'm not mistaken, he can apply through his university. It's not compulsory for him to apply through Chinese Embassy at Indonesia though. I also have a friend who is currently studying medicine at a university in China and he applied the scholarship through his university. Apart from that, it'll be troublesome if you want to apply it on behalf of your brother because you know, you need to write a study plan, and then look for someone to write a recommendation letter etc. Anyway this is just my personal opinion. Maybe Brian has a better answer for your question. Let's wait for him to asnwer it.

Okay, peace out ^_^

@apetshin

Hi there!

My brother had tried to apply through his university. But unfortunately, his university don't accept bachelor degree scholarship. The admission in his university, suggested to apply by Country Embassy.

All I need is only submit his application in to the embassy. All the document had been sent by email. Including the study plan, etc.

Dont know the consequences, but I think it's worth to try.

Beside, I also interested to participate in this year scholarship through CSC. Last year I tried, and failed because don't have any HSK for reference.

Cheers