Chinese-Forums

Wuhan University

roddy

This topic is for discussion and reviews of Wuhan University. Accommodation, courses, on-campus facilities and activities - anything to do with Wuhan University goes in here. If there's a lot of discussion about any one particular topic we might split it into a new thread and leave a link here.

• 5 years later...

Wuhan is a good place to study Chinese. Back when I lived there, it was a much more authentic Chinese city than Shanghai and many other Chinese cities. apart from that, the mix of foreigners who study there is incredibly diverse.....there are a lot of them, not too many Europeans/Americans though (i.e. better if you don't want to speak English too much!) You'll meet and hang out with people from Laos, Cambodia, Burma, Turkmenistan, Pakistan, Vietnam, Mauritius, Nepal...... and surprisingly, about 90% of Africa!......real people from a great number of countries, which you probably never had the opportunity to meet before. The city can be overwhelming sometimes, but It's worth it. It changes fast though , from what I've heard, and might not be what it used to be about 4 years ago.....

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • New Members

Accommodation is pretty bad at Wuhan University. Even if you pay for a single room, you can still expect lots of trouble. Last year, there was no hot water until late November (except for those buildings which had boilers in the bathrooms). The rooms are mouldy, so your clothes and shoes will rot and the walls will be black. I know that WuDa has built a new dorm for the coming academic year but I am not sure about standards there or if it will be available to foreign students.

Another problem is that everything is far away. The scenery at the campus is beautiful, but if you want to go get some food from a supermarket you will have to walk or take the local minibus to the main gate. This takes time. During the Chinese New Year holidays there will be no minibus so you will have to walk everywhere.

From the academic point of view, WuDa is considered superior to Huashi, for example, but accommodation is really really substandard.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@roddy, Despite the reputation about it being a historical school and one of the best, the academic side of Wuhan University isn't that good except for some class, the foreign student office isn't helpful either. I've been participating in 20-30 econ class in Chinese language for both bachelor and master level, only 20-30% of them actually encourage critical thinking and open discussion. For the "international class"-English speaking class the quality is even much worse, the teacher don't give a damn about the student and sometimes the exam question is unrelated to the issue and they let the student cheat on the exam.

@bill, There is no relation between the hours of work and the credit, if your study plan says course A is 2 credit, then its 2 credit but the time you will spend in class could be 2 up to 5 hours. I don't know about the level of strictness on the computer major but in the economic department it seems people can leave anytime they want to. I have a friend from Nepal he is a doctoral student in software engineering, he said they barely speak English at doctoral level. However, on the "English speaking or international class" the teacher do speak in English and you can do your works in English but I don't think you will be communicate well with your teachers. But i'm speaking from my experience in the economic department, perhaps the computer department is better.

I will still advise you to look for other option, unless it is a scholarship I don't think its worth it. The next semester in here should start soon at the end of August or the beginning of September. I suggest you inquire about your program to the foreign student office of Wuhan university, here is the website (http://whufses.com/en/) and their email address (fses@whu.edu.cn).

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hey all, 

can anybody tell me if the pollution of Wuhan is much of a deal breaker? I heard some people start to get a real flare of acne and chest problems etc....  can anyone confirm/relate? 

also, Im thinking of doing a year language course there, anyone tell me what level of HSK they come out with roughly after a year/2 years? 

I have been reading bunny87's posts and it sounds super intensive but quality education, any info on HSK prep classes and pass rates etc? Could really help me decission between Wuhan and Zhengzhou, I know Wuhan is more prestigious but for me, I think things like environment and study rate are important. 

thoughts?? 

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

Huh, quality is not something I would associate with WuDa. Then again, I haven't been *allowed* to go to Chinese Classes.

I have heard they can be quite challenging though, which is a good thing if you have a year to work on Chinese… I personally have done a year at Jiangsu University and came out with an HSK 4, as did most of my classmates. After the 中级 level in WuDa most of my frie ds tried their hand at the HSK 5.

Other than that, if messy administration, polluted (not an actual danger to your health), and terrible roms don't deter you, then come on over!

(Really, stay away from the dorms)

:)

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm searching for complete lists of courses offered at Wuhan: 

What I've found for this school (and others) just is nowhere near complete enough. It says 课程中心 but the quantity of courses listed for a top 10 university such as Wuhan....? (http://kczx.whu.edu.cn/G2S/ShowSystem/CourseTypeSet.aspx?NO=56

Is there anybody at  Wuhan U that can link me to some sort of course list or PDF please?

• Example: UCLA's course list for Chinese department http://www.registrar...HIN &funsel=3
  • No course descriptions necessary. Lists of titles are sufficient. 
    (I'll take whatever I can get)
  • Primarily interested in lists for liberal arts - foreign languages, sociology, literature, history, international relations 
  • No MOOCs, no incomplete 精品课程 lists necessary. 

• 1 year later...
  • New Members

Hello there! I'm really excited to be attending 武大 starting this Fall! Has anyone else been admitted to the School of International Education? I will be a General Scholar studying to improve my mandarin. I have passed HSK4/am preparing to take HSK5. Does anyone know about the language placement test and how we might be divided up?  I am from the USA and have previously lived in Guangzhou teaching English. Although I'll have a stipend, I'm sure I'll be needing to find a (few) part-time job(s) while in Wuhan. I'm know English teaching is a possibility, but would really love to find a gig where I can use my mandarin. Does anyone have any recommendations, advice or opinions about the University, the mandarin language program, part-time work or Wuhan in general? I have traveled fairly extensively throughout China, but never made it to 湖北。Can't wait to make the move back to China in just over a month! Who's joining me in Wuhan?!:)

Hi guys ! !

I applied for the CGS and I chose Wuhanuniversity as a second choice !!

Do you have an idea if they published their nominated list or admitted list ? 

I applied for a PhD in Biochemistry and Molecular biology, what do you think about the quality of study in the school of Life sciences ? ?

Thanks in advance ! !

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I am a previous Master's Degree student at Wuhan University and I wanted to leave information in any case you are going to study there, because I see the last response was long ago and many peopley applying to it this year, at least that I saw in a Facebook group:

1. Wuhan itself is a city of constant change, I obtained my Master's in 2018 and in my three years many things changed.
  2. International student rooms have been renewed and improved a lot from when I arrived in 2015.
  3. You can live with the scholarship, even travel around China.
  4. There is a lot of international students so the experience of getting to know many people from other countries is really nice.
  5. Get a VPN, I highly recommend ExpressVPN before getting to Wuhan. Also download Baidu (Chinese maps) with time you will understand the app.
  6. If you want to really succeed in your studies find a Chinese colleague to guide you a bit through all the confusing processes.

If you have any doubt, feel free to send me a message.

• Like 1