Chinese-Forums

Shanghai International Studies University

piccolaiena

Hi everyone!!

I'd like to know from someone that has already been in Sisu how is life there. I mean, will I have any rules as regards to the time I have to come back to the guesthouse or I'll be free to go out and come back whenever I want?

What are the trips the school organizes?

How was your free time there in general?

Then will be there many Europeans learning Chinese?

Thanks a lot

I hope many of you will answer!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Too many europeans, maybe. Looks like a laowai zoo. But the SISU is nice enough, with usually good teachers (hope you don't bump into the old chinese phonetics lady, she's terrible).

Apart from that, and despite the fact that the place is way overpriced (like all schools designer for westerners), it's not bad.

• 10 months later...
  • New Members

I'm just back from an intensive Chinese language summer program. I traveled with a group of students from Kennesaw State University near Atlanta Georgia. I have a ton of pictures(and still downloading more) from the trip. You can friend me on Facebook- Kraig Seichrist- A picture is worth a thousand words. Use Sisu study in the message.

We were scheduled to stay at the Guest House, but that building is currently under renovation. We stayed at the nearby Shangwai Hotel. There were many problems with this hotel/dorm. Properly working AC, 4 very small washers-no dryers- for the whole hotel- 16 floors. Washing clothes is a pain. Try washing in the early morning hours, if you have to stay there. Bring about 25 feet of a light cording(twine or rope) to hang your clothes in your room, as rope is very difficult to find locally.

There are some nearby restaurants that have some American "style" food. Close to American, but not quite authentic. Ciao cafe, 85 Cafe, KFC, Babella's cafe(Italian sort-of). These are expensive in relative terms of using RMB. 32 Kuai for a sandwich, 19-39+ Kuai for a pizza. Try to get used to Chinese food, if you can. Its much cheaper. Try the Jian Bing at the local vendors. There are also what I call "Chinese fast food" buffets. Noodles, dumplings, bread, meat and vegie dishes. Cheap! We had a vegan in our group. China is tough on Vegans, although we did find a vegan cafe very near the Guest house gate.

I don't know about the other academic profiles on other classes, ect., as we were pretty isolated from the rest of the "normal" school. Our schedule was intensive and we had little time for other things, but our time outside the class was scheduled with trips to experience Chinese culture in relation to a Chinese culture class. Our program was arranged by our Chinese language administrator from KSU, and so was specific to the requirements of the intensive language program.

We did have local Chinese language partners who were attending SISU. This was a Godsend, as we spent alot of time with them, and they introduced us to local spots, and helped us to manage the day to day needs, not to mention language help.

hope this helps. a

ask me anything. I can't tell you much about SISU academics, but I can answer some things about the local culture.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi All!!

I will be attending SISU this fall as a Masters of Translation and Interpretation student (MTI).

I visited the campus while I was still living in Shanghai, and my other friends told me that in terms of translation, SISU was the best there is aside from BLCU up in Beijing.

I just watn to know... are there any masters students studying at SISU now? Especially in the translation field? And if so, how is it? Does it look promising? Are the classes good?

This program is about 2.5 years, so I want to make sure I'm committing myself to a good school and program.. Any input would be much appreciated ;)

Thank you!

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • New Members

Hey guys!

I got the CSC scholarship for masters at SISU. My zhuanye is International Trade. As I'm going to be there for 3 years, I would appreciate some details about the teachers and the courses. Do you have friends who are studying this major? Thanks.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have studied at SISU between september 2012- to July 2013. I would like to talk about some of my experiences. 

I was quite satisfied with my overall experience. They have a good language program with nice teachers who knows how to teach Chinese to foreigners. Obvisouly not every teacher was good but overall , I was satisfied. 

Students come from many different countries, however usually from Asian countries like Korea, Indonesia. I must say there are also sizeable amount of Italians, most of the Europeans are Italian there.

Toilets doesn't have soap, I think its an usual thing in China. They don't wash their hands in the bathroom.

There is two different dormitory , Guesthouse and SISU hotel. I would suggest Guesthouse which is closer and renovated recently. However you must book it quite early 4, 5 months ago, otherwise filled up quickly . There is another dormitory called expert guesthouse , you wouldn't want to stay there, heard that its quite bad ,never been there actually. 

Its fairly easy to connect with local Chinese students , there is a cafe called Bella cafe at the back of the school. If you just go there, I am sure some Chinese student will pop up and start chatting with you , especially if you are a good looking guy. 

In terms of transportation its only 10-15 mins away from metro station , which is fine. There is a big shopping mall with really nice international cuisine inside. There are other smaller restaurant nearby the school which is quite cheap. There are couple of muslim restaurants too for Muslim students. 

There is a soccer field , for running and a good gym. 

Overall I had a positive experience at SISU. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hellow everyone,

I am new here and i found this discussion about SISU and decided to ask you guys a few questions,related to SISU and China because i would like to attend there nct fall.

I am  bulgarian but currently living in Kuwait and going to English school,however i dont know any chinese but i am keen to learn it and its great passion of mine to pursue the my dream of becoming translator and interpreter.I want to be enrolled in BA programme at SISU for Translation and Interpretation,however i have to take the hsk test first.

I know i have to go and attend one year chinese course so i can take the test, i would like to speak to someone that has already attened this course and to answer mea couple of questions:

1.Is the course hard for beginners like me,if they had not any chance to learn chinese?

2.Is the one year programme go enough and will i be able to take the hsk and to score 5 so i can attend the BA  degree?

3.As it is a non degree programme can i be enrolled to stay at a dormitory?

4.Is the SISU campus good and accessible for a new students like me?

5.What is the most likely place that i will be ataying at if i go for the one year chinese programme?

Thankyou so much and i am sorry for the questions but i am confused because most of the websites are all in chinese and i dont understand anything plus i am confused when it comes to the accomodation because all of the universities have multiple campuses.

Hellow can anoyone tell me about the accomodation at SISU?

i want to attend the intensive language programme for one year so i can learn chinese and then take the hsk test so i can go for translation and interpretation BA.

However can you tell me if i go for non degree chinese programme where will i be staying because there are two comapuses Hongkou Campus and Songjiang Campus. In Hongkou Campus there are SISU Guesthouse > SISU Hotel > Foreign Experts’ Building > Jinjiang Inn and in the Songjiang Campus there is International Students Dormitory. I want to stay in a dorm with other foreigners or native students,i dont mind.But can you tell me the difference between all of the campuses and the accomodations they offer? Thankyou so much

Lora xo

@mickeyblue , hey buddy I stayed at both sisu hotel and sisu guesthouse. There is absolutely no curfew nor they check anyone on the front desk. Which is kinda scary if you ask me . There is a security at the door but he is usually sleeping lol 

One thing about the both Sisu hotel and guesthouse , they are basically hotels, you will see many chinese in the hotel who stay there couple of days and leave. 

hope this helps if you have any question you can ask me . 

Cheers

• Like 1

@lora, if you want to study language first , you will go to Hongkou campus which is close to city centre. So you will either stay at guesthouse or sisu hotel. guesthouse gets filled up so quickly , I guess your best option is sisu hotel. You will definitely experience some culture shock but you will get over it quickly. There are many international students there.  

Songjiang campus is far from city centre , though it has beautiful campus environment. I don't know anything about songjiang campus accommodation options. 

• Like 1

@Sehzadelee, Thanks for info! I'm relieved. Cause lots of my friends have many issues comin back late at other unis (dorms were closed from 23) or with company. Do you have any idea about living there alone? like payin additional money for double and live alone? Is it same packed as Guesthouse? I'll have the scholarship so due to that might find some funds to gain peace ;) Thanks again!

@mickeyblue, I Iived there alone, I wasn't a scholarship student. It cost me like 120 yuan per day for single room. I would definitely suggest you to book a single room, because there is only one desk in double bed rooms. so you cant study with your roommate at the same time. 

I think there should be no problem if you pay the balance for single room. but you better arrange it beforehand. 

Sisu hotel is a bit older than guesthouse, and the furnitures are also older than guesthouse. 

All the best. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hello guys!From this September 'till next July I'll be attending the intensive chinese course at SISU. Has any of you attended or going to attend the same course?I have a specific question: I have been told that, on the registration day, I'll have to pay the fees only by cash. Should I worry about it or is it a normal procedure at SISU?Thanks in advance! :)