Chinese-Forums

Video Games in China

Mike N

I didn't know where else to put this topic so I decided to start it here. Perhaps if it gets enough attention the almighty admins will make a separate forum for it (<_<).

I'm interesting in gaming in China, particularly MMOs and other online games, as I do not currently own a console (or a TV for that matter). I've been doing some reading around tonight and I've come up with a few titles for Free 2 Play games (Perfect World and Chi Bi for example) but I'm just not ready to take the plunge into any one game without checking out the community first.

Anyone here play a Chinese MMO? Other gaming recommendations also welcome.

Let's get this topic started!

League of Legends on the chinese servers. It is free to play and you do not need to invest alot of time into it like most mmorpgs.

If you edit two files you will get english menus and spell/ability information. Or you could just play it 100% in chinese, The in game shop is usable with the 100 yuan cards you recharge your mobile phone with :D

@Feihong I could just play WoW if I didn't hate it with every piece of my soul. Also, like Isaid above, I'm looking for free to play.

@Keitha For some reason League of Legends is giving me an attitude and won't run right, but it's good to know that there are Chinese servers. Is there anything in particular I need to do to ensure I'm runnin on Chinese servers or will it detect my location automatically? Interesting that you can buy RP with mobile phone cards, too. ;)

League of Legends from Tencent works really well in China. If you go through the US Riot service, it's not that great. Pings average 200+ when through US Riot. To play on tencent however you need to get a frend to give you their Shenfenzheng to play.

Currently playing DOTA which is very popular in China. Also a beta tester for DOTA 2 on Valve but no Chinese players play DOTA 2.

@yialanliu: I didn't know that LoL was running through Tencent here. That's definitely good to know! About the shenfenzheng, I've already got that little issue taken care of. (wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more)

As for DOTA, I also have the DOTA 2 beta but frankly my laptop's a bit old (2009, no dedicated gfx card) and so I don't know how well it will handle the game.

Anyways DOTA/LoL/Heroes of Newerth are the obvious ones to point out here. I wish Guild Wars was still officially running in China. I need to get unlocks in my HoM for Guild Wars 2. :/

Let's get some more input from other folks on games that you're currently playing in China!

The local china server through Tencent gives me about 40 ping. It is a huge different from playing on the US servers with 200-400 ping. The only complain I have is that the matches are too long, haha. I tried a really fun semi-mmo called Dragon Nest. F2p, fantasy theme with some nice combat.You can solo or do instances with a group. Not a sandbox kind of mmorpg (which I love..) but nice for people who do not have the time for long playing sessions.

I would love to play a game where I can chat with some locals. A great way to relax and improve my chinese. I guess it is easy to find that kind of chat-play environment if I join some kind of WoW guild, but that kind of game is too time consuming.

Yes MMOs can be time-consuming and games like LoL can be both time-consuming and not very relaxing given the competitive nature of both the game and the community (but hey, you can learn some great ways to cuss people out perhaps).

I'll have to keep doing research to see what I can come up with. Maybe I'll just hit the internet bar when I have the time and talk to some folks there.

• 2 weeks later...

I went for some LoL on Chinese servers last weekend and found the experience to be rather underwhelming.

(DISCLAIMER: Since I had to start a new account I'm only level 2 so I'm still playing mostly with newbs.)

Almost nobody was talking at all (which robbed me of the opportunity to learn critically important game vocabulary--how do you inform your teammates that your lane is missing?!) and to boot the relatively low skill of players in that bracket makes the experience a bit frustrating.

I'm far from giving up on it though. I'll be putting some more time into it if for no other reason than I can play a game I enjoy at 30-40 ping rather than 300+.

Anyone have some tips on the LoL Chinese vernacular?

• 5 weeks later...

I play with a crew so always use a headset. Although you being level 2 probably makes that rare but since so many use headsets, maybe it's part of the game now where it's standard even in non premades, not sure aboutt hat though.

Anyways, most chinese can understand bot mia/top mia kind of thing.

When I play, half the time I type banter and stuff since I am not competitive outside of my premades and mess around.

• 1 month later...

I beat Blizzard's new Diablo 3, so I figured I might uninstall it. (I'm not much of a play-the-same-content-over-and-over-again gamer.) But then I bumped into another player who was playing in Chinese. So, I reinstalled the game with Trad. Chinese, now I can justify playing a game as studying! They even recorded the voice actors in Chinese. :)

Screenshot

http://postimage.org/image/q3f4xr5kd/

How is the ping when trying to play on European DIII servers while being in China? I have just had a month of vacation, which I spent in Czech Republic and started to play in Europe region on launch. I am going back to Beijing in a week and would like to continue playing occasionally, preferrably keeping my Nightmare characters (they are not transferable between regions). Though would I prefer simplified characters, this might be a good opportunity to brush up on my traditional skills...

• 4 weeks later...