Chinese-Forums

HSK test procedure: switching possible between reading & writing parts?

patphilly

Hi, I am taking the HSK level 3 next month and I am wondering about the exact procedure.

I see that there is a given time for the reading part and a given time for the writing part. And that they specifically tell us when the reading part is over and when to start the writing part.

However, these papers are in the same booklet, right? Doesn't that mean that if we are done with the writing part earlier (15 minutes are usually more than what I need for the writing part, but I usually struggle to finish the reading part), we could in principle sneak back into the reading section a little?

I was wondering if it was anyway not possible (maybe because they hand out separate booklets), whether it was officially possible, or whether in case it is not technically allowed, to what extent it could be feasible (or we'd be noticed right away and considered as cheating).

Second question: I have read people here mention they have taken a computer exam (in which the writing part is also therefore much easier). To what extent is this now widespread? I am taking the test in Paris (AFPC), in case anyone has an experience.

While the rules don't state it, the proctors at PKU did not allow people to work on a different sections when someone asked that question.

This is the protocol for most standardized tests, so I'd say that was normal. You could ask your proctors.

The test is within single booklet so you could try, but I'd just ask the proctors.

Ok, I emailed the testing center in Paris. They pretty candidly replied that they couldn't really control what we do:

Here is what they said: "In principle, the time allotted to the reading and writing parts are fixed, but since these 2 parts are on the same paper, and we won't take the paper away from you, it seems difficult not to let you switch back to part 2 or anticipate into part 3, at least for the time being. For now, Chinese Testing has not given us any clear instructions on this issue. In principle, each part has its given fixed time and it is not allowed to come back to an earlier section, but in practise, it is impossible to interfere with the rhythm of the candidates and to prevent them from changing their answers at the end".

• Like 1

• New Members

Just to confuse you further, I took the new HSK 4 in Hangzhou last December and the invigilators really tried to crack down on looking back and forth. I haven't spent enough time learning how to write characters, I know roughly what the character I want to write looks like, but not enough to actually write it. My plan was to look back in the reading section and find the difficult charcters I couldn't remember but wanted to use for the writing section. I did it twice, openly, without thinking I was doing anything wrong, and then they told me stop on the third time. I sneakily did it once more. From what I remember, they didn't tell us this before the test.

After the listening, they gave us the alotted five minutes to fill in our answer sheet, but it wasn't very clear when we were to fill in the answer sheet for the reading. Turns out, the time spent filling in the answer sheet for reading was part of the 40 minutes or whatever they give you. One poor chap next to me didn't realise and when he tried to fill his sheet in at the end, they wouldn't let him.

I took HSK3 last December in the UK. The listening instructions were to mark your answers on the question sheet and fill in the answer sheet in the 5 minutes in the end. I filled in the answer sheet as I went along rather than waiting until the end. Seeing as I had already filled in the answer sheet, I thought I would make a start on the reading section when a piece of chalk came flying in my direction. Turns out each section is treated separately. I think the same goes for the reading and writing, as some of the answers for the writing test can easily be found in the reading section. But as with all things Chinese, even if it is technically not allowed, someone, somewhere, is breaking the rules.