Chinese-Forums

Word of the Day project 每日一词计划 (Day 12 updated)

malanting

I've never seen NHEEE or HKCEE or HKALE before

In case anyone is interested, the HKCEE and HKALE have been replaced by the HKDSE (Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education). The last round of HKALE and the first round of HKDSE were held this year. They are part of the overall change of the HK education system from a 6+5+2+3 framework to a 6+3+3+4 framework.

So you can actually recognize it when you see gaokao?

It usually appears italicised and/or with an explanation for the reader that this is what the Chinese university entrance examination is called. For example, in an article you might see something like:

The Chinese university entrance examination, known locally as the gaokao, blah blah blah blah blah...

Then for the rest of the article, the writer will just continue using gaokao. Readers unfamiliar with China and the Chinese education system will not just recognise gaokao by itself for what it is.

It usually appears italicised and/or with an explanation for the reader that this is what the Chinese university entrance examination is called.

Of course, I've seen such intances in news reporting before. I thought it impossible that an average English native would recognize gaokao.

Day 10

Today, we will continue to talk about words related to 高考. The first one is 加分 jia1 fen1 , as mentioned in the update on 裸考, it means bonus points for students. 加分 is not limited to 高考 only. One can get 加分 in 中考 zhong1 kao3 (high school entrance exam) or even 考研 kao3 yan2 (graduate school entrance exam) as well. One gets 加分 for various reasons, for winning a national competition, for coming from ethnic minorities, for being a state-recognized athlete and so on. But most don't get preferential treatments. Coupled with murky handling of 加分, there has been an outcry against it. Example: 他是国家运动员,高考有10分加分。/ 如果能在这次竞赛中获得一等奖,高考就能享受加分。

Apart from 加分, there's 预录取 yu4 lu4 qu3 . This usually means a student has passed the exam of a particular university and been all but admitted, he/she may skip 高考. 录取 is "(being) admitted" 预 means "in advance". 预录取 has also been criticized because some universities use this to "snatch" excellent students. Example: 我参加了复旦的自主招生,已经被预录取了。

分数线 fen1 shu4 xian4 is the threshold or lowest score you have to get to enter a school. For example: 今年高考发挥失常,离一本分数线还差了6分。(roughly, 一本 means key universities, 二本 means other universities. So 一本分数线 is higher than 二本分数线).

28fcfdfc825333f3c7a1623a0ca80ab9.jpg

Last word 志愿 zhi4 yuan4 is a noun, meaning one's "choice of college" 第一志愿 would be your first choice. We have to filling out a form of choice before 高考. This is called 填志愿 tian2 zhi4 yuan4. Example: 他高考考得不错,被第一志愿录取了。/ 高考填志愿一定要慎重,关系到以后的去向。

Do you have to 填志愿 before the college entrance exam? How do you say 分数线?

• Like 2

No update today? :(

Thank you for noticing it.

I run into 情侣装 the other day, and I'm wondering if the meaning is exactly the same as 情侣衫, or if the last is mainly used for t-shirts... If identical, which one is most common?

情侣衫 should have a broader meaning althou 情侣装 always refers to 情侣衫. I've yet to see two people wearing same coats in winter. :P

Day 11

单眼皮 (dan1 yan3 pi2) single eyelids

双眼皮 (shuang1 yan3 pi2) double eyelids

201072821564290677801.jpg

Example: 现在的女生似乎都喜欢单眼皮男生。/ 是单眼皮好看还是双眼皮好看?

Two more examples: 别看他是双眼皮,其实是开出来的。/ 我要是没睡醒就会翻出双眼皮。

Can you guess what the last two examples mean from the context?

• Like 2

a relevant term is 內雙眼皮/內雙 - double eyelids which look like single because the folds are not obvious.

Yes, I had wanted to mention this, but thought it's too complicated. (The last example may and may not be because of 内双)

What happened to this thread? Malanting doesn't update this anymore :/

I'm seriously considering abandoning the project because few seem to be reading my post. It looks like the initial passion for this thread has died out. Now, almost nobody replies. What a pity! I had intended to keep the thread going for several months, at least until the end of my summer vacation. But I really had a good time meeting all of you. Especially those who were kind enough to accept my friend request. This thread may not be updated anymore, but you can always ask me question related to Day 1-11 or more. I'd be happy to answer them. Thank every one of you for your support. So long! :D

Well may be people still read it but don't necessarily reply? I did not see this thread as a discussion-based topic, I always would come and pick some vocabulary. There could be many who gain from it, but don't have anything meaningful to contribute.