Chinese-Forums

Word of the Day project 每日一词计划 (Day 12 updated)

malanting

malanting,

I, for one, really enjoyed your posts and I'm certainly not the only one. Not everybody who reads and appreciates your posts will reply to them. I prefer to only write something when I have something useful to contribute to the discussion.

It seems that for most expressions you wanted to have the English counterpart. Since English isn't my mother tongue I didn't feel like having anything useful to contribute to that discussion. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate your work and learned something new from you everyday.

If for example everybody would write a thank you note on every useful post, this thread would be filled with thank you messages, which would make the more interesting messages more difficult to find.

• Like 2

I enjoyed it as well. However, you can't do it for fame and glory, you just need to do it because you want to. Some words will get peoples' attention, some won't. [e.g. single/double eyelids are a total non-issue among non-Asians; the only reason I ever noticed was because my wife pointed out to me how lucky I am to have a (Chinese) wife with double-eyelids.]

May I suggest you post a new word every 2-3 days instead?

Another option would be to create a blog here and use that format. It has the advantage that it allows longer-term discussion of each word. [in the current format, once you post a new word, it pretty much kills discussion of older words.] The disadvantage of blogs is that they have less visibility.

• Like 1

I agree with everything everyone said. I found this thread incredibly helpful and I'm sad to see it end so suddenly. With threads like this there will be a lot of people that just read the discussion and don't contribute, and they still learn a lot from it. Sometimes the discussion has gone as long as it can go and there is nothing more to say, and some words will create long discussions.

Thank you for all the great words though!

• Like 1

I also enjoyed these posts. When it started I thought it was ambitious to update daily. Once week would have been just as good.

Maybe there are other reasons for it stopping, technical problems, illness ( hope not) , work or family commitments etc.

Hope things are ok malanting. :)

• Like 1

Day 12

鬓角 bin4 jiao3 is the hair beside one's ears (not sure how to put it).

21_100910112439_1.jpg

刘海 liu2 hai3 is bangs or fringe.

200812714033124.jpg

The following examples would be useful when you go to the barber's 理发店 li3 fa4 dian4 (more so if you are male). Examples: 能不能帮我把刘海剪得短一点,露出眉毛?/ 鬓角好像还有点长,麻烦再修一下。

美容院 mei3 rong2 yuan4 means the hairdresser's. 染发 ran3 fa4 (dye one's hair) or 烫发 tang4 fa4 (perm one's hair) is what girls usually do at the hairdresser's. Examples: 我想烫一下头发。/ 能帮我把头发染成黄色的吗?

575213_144857001189_2.jpg

That's it for today. So glad that you like my posts. I would continue, if only for your support.

• Like 2

jbradfor

However, you can't do it for fame and glory, you just need to do it because you want to.

No. I was just doubting if anyone is reading my post or if it's just another fad. Now that I know that the answer is yes, I will continue.

creamyhorror

Start a blog and then become popular and famous (in Chinese-learning circles).

I don't want to become famous. :roll:

Concise Oxford dictionary calls them sideboards (though I've never heard this term), and says sideburns comes from a General Burnside who grew his hair this way. I would say that a beard is something that joins up somewhere around the chin.

Concise Oxford dictionary calls them sideboards (though I've never heard this term), and says sideburns comes from a General Burnside who grew his hair this way. I would say that a beard is something that joins up somewhere around the chin.

I mean sideburns seems to mean 胡子 rather than 头发, though it's where 鬓角 is grown.

能帮我把头发染成黄色的吗?

Down here, yellow is not really a good description for hair (it implies that the hair is unhealthy and/or damaged). To get blond hair you will have to tell the stylist to dye it gold 金色. But I understand that some people use 黃色 to describe blond hair.

Plus, you don't need that 的 in the question, do you?

美容院 mei3 rong2 yuan4 means the hairdresser's.

In Hong Kong it means a beauty parlour, which provides much wider services. The hairdresser's is 髮型屋 and a hair stylist is 髮型師。 A barber shop is usually called 理髮店 .

PS - I think sideburns is the right word.

PS - I think sideburns is the right word.

I agree, and think they are mostly quite different from 胡子, however if someone was to grow their sideburns really long, then the distinction is not as clear. For the picture you showed of Elvis, that hair by his ears is definitely his sideburns.

skylee

Down here, yellow is not really a good description for hair (it implies that the hair is unhealthy and/or damaged). To get blond hair you will have to tell the stylist to dye it gold 金色. But I understand that some people use 黃色 to describe blond hair.

Many people here just ask for yellow, not blond. I don't think yellow hair looks good as well. I prefer to call blond 金黄色

Plus, you don't need that 的 in the question, do you?

I do think it's necessary. Like 他把头发染成绿色的了,真难看。

In Hong Kong it means a beauty parlour, which provides much wider services. The hairdresser's is 髮型屋 and a hair stylist is 髮型師。 A barber shop is usually called 理髮店 .

发型屋 is not commonly used here, but 发型师 is a common word. We also call the hairdresser's 发廊 fa4 lang2.

imron

For the picture you showed of Elvis, that hair by his ears is definitely his sideburns.

Thanks!

freshysauce

Where does 腮胡 fit into this? Is it different from 鬓角?

络腮胡 luo4 sai1 hu2 is 胡子 not 头发. That's the difference. Here's a picture

08e0ec1f5cb5af7ee1fe0b52.jpg

艾紫茉

In terms of 烫发,do you know what would you call a curly-haired perm and a straight hair perm respectively? And how would you ask for a layered haircut?

烫卷发 tang4 juan3 fa4, 烫直 tang4 zhi2

我想烫卷发,不知道好不好看。/ 我之前一直是卷发,现在想把它烫直了。

What do you mean by "layered haircut"?