Chinese-Forums

Where is the Quote button?

Takeshi

I know where the quote icon is but how do you use it?

If i want quote something how do you actually do, keystroke by keystroke.

I ask because I am always failing to do it when i need it.

thank you for any help

I know this seems simple but unless you know you just don't know :help

I like the t-shirt idea :lol:

This would make a great T-Shirt:

Front: Chinese-forums.com

Back: Where is the Quote button?

One of those tshirts which sounds cool, but not sure if one would ever wear it. When I was studying in Beijing I got two tshirts made (dirty cheap). One had "老外来了" on the front and "老外去了" on the back. Not worn it. One had "与众不同" but with each character written backwards. Wore that one twice but got fed up of people politely telling me that the characters were wrong. "Aha, I'm a 与众不同 guy! hahaha!" They didn't get it.

I'd actually forgotten about those tshirts (I had them made in 2006) and now I want to wear them. Not likely to get much attention here in Switzerland though.

If i want quote something how do you actually do, keystroke by keystroke.

Copy the text you want to quote.

Paste the text into the "Reply" text field.

Select the text with the mouse.

Hit the quote icon (this will place quote tags around the text)

Type your reply.

Repeat as needed.

• Like 1

I use IE9 on windows 7 and IE8 on windows XP.

Sometimes if I press return like five times before pasting the text and then highlight it and press the quote tag it works. But sometimes it does not. It does not work at all at the top of the reply box.

I have always disliked the lack of a quote button on this forum. Why take away such a convenience? If you want to prevent unnecessary quoting, just start politely advising and warning users who show poor quoting etiquette. Community pressure will take care of the rest.

I suggest it be put back as a privilege for posters with >X posts, and revoked for those who quote indiscriminately (i.e. made contingent on user class or number of posts).

(Sorry, it just really bugs me to see such a basic feature missing.)

If you want to prevent unnecessary quoting, just start politely advising and warning users who show poor quoting etiquette. Community pressure will take care of the rest.

Unfortunately it doesn't. The problem is, as much of an inconvenience as it is to just copy and paste text the part you want to quote, it turns out it's even more of an inconvenience to go back and delete the parts of a post you didn't need to quote. I believe at various times the quote button has been enabled temporarily on trial and it always ends up being removed again for the above reason.

If you want to prevent unnecessary quoting, just start politely advising and warning users who show poor quoting etiquette. Community pressure will take care of the rest.

Unfortunately it doesn't. The problem is, as much of an inconvenience as it is to just copy and paste text the part you want to quote, it turns out it's even more of an inconvenience to go back and delete the parts of a post you didn't need to quote. I believe at various times the quote button has been enabled temporarily on trial and it always ends up being removed again for the above reason.

+1 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

One nice thing about a quote button is that it attributes the quote to the person who made the statement.

The way it is now, I sometimes have to read 20 posts to find out who a poster is replying to. It is possible to add this manually, using the "QUOTE name='imron'" syntax and the like, but obviously most people won't bother.

How about a quote button that sets the name and a link to the post, but no text? That's why I really like the quote button -- not because it quotes the text for me, but because it sets those. As others have said, it's often more work to cut out the text I don't want than to highlight the text I do want.

How about a button for users to flag a post as excessive quoting? After 3 people flag it, it gets sent to a moderator to either delete or accent. If delete, the post gets deleted and a note gets sent to the poster saying why. And yes, I do volunteer to do that. roddy, what a win-win for you: either I will do it, and people will stop bugging you for a quote button, or I agree it's too much work, and I, at least, will stop bugging you for a quote button. What's not to love?

However about not allowing posts that have too high a quote ratio?