Chinese-Forums

favourite Chinese film?

wix

What is your favourite Chinese film? You can include film somehow related to China or Chinese culture more generally. It does not have to be made in China or even in a Chinese language. (for example, The Last Emperor was an English language film)

My personal favourite is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. To me it evokes the most wonderful images of historical China (although probably in no way representative of reality). Ang Lee (Li An) is an extraordinaryly talented director and has made films that cover a great range of styles ( from Chinese martial arts epic to Jane Austen). An honorable mention also goes to another two of his films Eat Drink Man Woman and The Wedding Banquet.

Another great Chinese film is Farewell My Concubine. It was directed by Chen Kaige, who also made Yellow Earth and The Emperor and the Assassin. Another Chinese director of note is Zhang Yimou who made Raise the Red Lantern and the recently released Hero among others.

Guest mirela_violeta

I remember that I was quite impressed after seeing "The pavilon of women", which was made after a book written by Pearl Buck. It was quite interesting to see how marriages were arranged in the chinese society and how it was to be a married women in China in those times. Of course I liked The last Emperor too.

To Live, by Zhang Yimou has got to be one of my favorite films of all time, Chinese or otherwise.

It encompasses basically the entire modern Chinese era, and gives a really heartbreakingly bittersweet look at the ups and downs that the Chinese of that generation have faced. I'm a big fan of Zhang Yimou in general, but To Live just hits a nerve with me that other movies don't. I also really like The Road Home; it makes me cry every time I see it.

As for non-Zhang Yimou films, I liked Life on a String a lot. It was directed by Chen Kaige I believe. Its a really beautiful looking film.

Actually, I was a film major, and the Chinese 5th Generation was a big inspiration for me to decide to persue film, so they have a special place in my heart.

I'd have to go for Big Disaster, which was basically Speed with a tanker-full of rocketfuel instead of a bus, and some Chinese guy accompanied by a young female reporter in a swimsuit. I dont' know who directed it, I just happened to see it on BTV8.5 the other day . . .

For second favourite though, I'd probably go for Together, by Chen Kaige (let's see if characters work on here . . .和你在一起) It's set mostly in Beijing, and stars Beijing Railway Station (ok, there may be some disagreement on this point from the actors . . .) It's been accused of being a tearjerker, which may be true near the end, but I found myself getting really involved in it, which doesn't usually happen. It's all about a young violinist who comes to Beijing with his dad to study music, and has a great soundtrack.

Roddy

I've seen it three times and met the director at a party. It's a great movie about contemporary China and the changes occuring in traditional Beijing. The story is heartwarming and has good funny moments by the excellent actors and supporting cast members.

Afternoon chaps.

New to this board so go easy! A long time back I Lived in Fuzhou, although my Chinese has more than withered away. Could still order the beers when i returned for a month last year though!

As for the films, I used to love the HK kung Fu films, traditional costume films, where you could blatently see the wires, usually subtitled. Things like Crouching Tiger are superb though, a true beauty of a film. I love the ending because it is real, and not some Hollywood type rescue. There was a film on the BBC last weekend, 55 days in Peking, starring Charlton Heston. Somehow it was a gripping film, as many of that era was. Doesn't matter how accurate it was, but I love seeing the scenery and architecture of Beijing.

I know some of you live in China at the moment, and wonder if you find the same. Myself and my flat mate were very much a minority at the time in Fuzhou, and found the westerners were frequently asked to appear in TV stuff. We had a whole TV progarm devoted to our lives out there. Probably the worst TV you'll ever see, but it was ammusing. A french friend found fame in a wine commercial. Apparantly a film director had been looking for me and my friend for a few weeks, but the bar we frequented up town, we didnt go to for a few weeks, so alas we missed our chance to be in a film. Any of you find these things still happen? I haven't been to Fuzhou since 1997, and am told its changed a lot.

I love the ending because it is real, and not some Hollywood type rescue.

What, the bit where she jumps off the bridge and floats away into the clouds? How's that real then?

Roddy

(Sorry, will go easy on you next time, promise. Welcome to the board)

I know some of you live in China at the moment, and wonder if you find the same. Myself and my flat mate were very much a minority at the time in Fuzhou, and found the westerners were frequently asked to appear in TV stuff. We had a whole TV progarm devoted to our lives out there. Probably the worst TV you'll ever see, but it was ammusing. A french friend found fame in a wine commercial. Apparantly a film director had been looking for me and my friend for a few weeks, but the bar we frequented up town, we didnt go to for a few weeks, so alas we missed our chance to be in a film. Any of you find these things still happen? I haven't been to Fuzhou since 1997, and am told its changed a lot.

I am sure China has changed a lot. I only made my first visit in 2000 so I don't have much perspective. But my grandfather visited China in 1978 and the way he talked about it it was like another world.

I spend most of my time in a small city in Southern Fujian province. I was recently invited to a talent quest by the local TV station. Although I didn't see the TV broadcast I was told that I was heavily featured even though I was just a member of the audience!!!

I have also written for the English section of a newspaper in Xiamen and they are always keen for me to contribute something. Although there are quite a few foreigners in many of the big cities now, it is still not to hard to get your fifteen minutes of fame if you want it.

Yea yea, so when she jumps off the cliff if the camera were to follow her down it would have got quite messy. I was thinking more of when Chow Yun Fat dies, rather than them ramming the antidote down his neck and bringing him back to life.

I was (un)lucky enough to be sent a copy of the TV program after I left on VHS. Oh my days, its worse than Channel 5. For those outside the UK, thats an insult. Good fun though. We featured in the Fuzhou Wanbau in our first week, apparantly we were extremely happy at the progress of the 15th national congress of the party. Fantastic.

Like you say you can get your 15 minutes over there no problem! I love the games they seem to play, where they love the foreigners one minute, but then keep you at arms length. Great people.

Wix: which city do you live in? Have you had the pleasure of Fuzhou? I hate the bad press it got in the LP guide. It may not be the prettiest city, but its not that bad. Xiamens nice though.

I just watched Hero & thought it is quite good. Predictably sad ending in some respects. I also love Beijing Bicycle. Has anyone seen a film called Happy Times, I have heard it is good.

polly

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Chairman Roberto

I would agree that "Crouching Tiger" was an excellent film...probably the most romantic film I've ever seen. I also was very moved by "Life on a String", a beautiful work of art.

Favorite Chinese movie? I guess that would depend on the genre. I would say in the chopsocky HK action, "The Tai Chi Master" (Jet Li) would be the best of that type. "Storm Riders" is my favorite fantasy film. In the more "serious" entry, I really enjoyed "Horse Thief."

Like most smelly, barbaric, ocean-going foreign devils, I am a big fan of Zhang Yimou. I've heard more than one Chinese dimiss Zhang with "Oh, he just makes movies for foreigners." Arrrgh! It's a shame many of the local folks don't recognize what a national treasure he is. God, it makes my head hurt when people parrot the latest announcement from CCTV...and this apparently extends to opinions of film directors.

The Chairman

"Practice Roberto Thought"

Well, first we'll have to get my favorite Hong Kong Movies out of the way:

First would be 英雄本色 (A Better Tomorrow) - Chow Yun Fat as Mark Goh (brother Mark) the late Leslie Cheung as Kit. John Woo's first big movie.

A Moment of Romance (I've forgetten the Chinese name of this movie) starring Andy Lau - great great gangster movie.

Two from Wong Kar-Wai - Chungking Express starring Tony Leung, Takeshi Kineshiro, Faye Wong and Bridgette Lin and In the Mood for Love - starring Tony Leung (again) and Maggie Cheung. Great great great movies.

Then Taiwanese movies:

Yi yi (A One and A Two) by Edward Chang (?) - a great look at comtemporary Taipei through the eyes of a family.

The already mentioned Eat Drink Man Woman and Wedding Banquet.

Then Mainland China -

Well, everyone's already mentioned most of my favorites. Here's one that seems to slip through the cracks - "Iron and Silk" starring Mark Salzman as Mark Salzman. It's very dated (1985 China) but it's a great look at how English teachers and Chinese interacted 18 years ago.

Also, while I found the entire movie really indulgant (in a bad way) and just stupid at times - the Chinese portion of the Red Violin I really enjoyed.

I am obviously not a frequent film watcher, but have seen a couple of the Chinese stars in other movies and TV shows in China.

I'd still like to hear some feedback from the folks in this forum since I believe this was the first film to feature a big name Western star together with big name Chinese stars in a Chinese language comedy.

I haven't seen Da Wan (Big Shot's Funeral) but envision similar joint productions in the future. Maybe I should start writing scripts.

• 3 weeks later...

wow, TSKillet named all of my favorites.

I'd have to add on HK one "Wing Chun" with Michelle Yeoh to the list and I'll also take this time to lambast Crouching Tiger for being a beautifully shot decently choreographed film but not the cat's meow that US audiences thought it was.

a nice Chinese on I saw was "Shi qi su de zixingche" also called Beijing Bicycle. Not really a favorite, but interesting and worth seeing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...