Chinese-Forums

你好吗?

Demonic_Duck

Outside of textbooks, is this phrase ever used? I've come across 你好/您好 plenty of times as a general greeting for strangers, despite its textbookish reputation, but now I think of it I don't think I've ever heard 你好吗 used outside of a classroom in my life. In what context would anyone ever say this?

Where I have noticed used, or rather, how (in addition to the above) is not at the initiation of a conversation but a farther but into the conversation.

For example:

A: 好久没见到你!

B: 就是了!最近我都在__

A: 我最近也都比较忙,你好吗?

B: 我还好吧!

Okay, so it's not the best example but eat I can think of right now but hopefully you see where I typically hear it used.

Ah, sorry for the confusion, I wasn't implying that I thought it was a greeting like 你好, just that both phrases have the "textbook" reputation. I guess I either haven't been party to many of the types of discussions in which it would get used, or I'm simply not too observant.

Actually the only authentic context I can think of that I've heard it in is a song, 十年 by 脑浊乐队

哦嘿,十年的光阴一闪,

你好,

属于我的都市,

哦嘿,十年的光阴一闪,

你好吗?

属于我的都市,

Come on now...

I find that my friends (foreign-exchange) from China tend to use 你好吗 when I talk with them. I find that the responses is it can tend to vary from what you may see in the text. I love to use the response 我不错 as apposed to others because it's how I would respond normally, and they seem to be similar. It's also often present in colloquial speech, alongside others. Granted this is only around a small group of friends, but I hope this helps a little.

I heard an authentic use of "您贵姓?" once...

I once got an authentic 我免贵姓张 in return when I asked that.

I seem to recall hearing 劳驾 and that hearing it in the wild was where I learned the expression in the first place, but I don't remember where or what the context was. Might have been in Taiwan, where more politeness is used.

I heard a 马马虎虎 the other day.

I first learned this one from my Korean roommate as mama-fufu and was pleasantly surprised when I heard someone from Jiangsu saying exactly that the other day.

The only time I can specifically remember hearing 劳驾 was when I let some guy pass me on the downward 电梯 in Walmart once. Though I think that finding it a completely regular and unexotic term probably means I'm not going to commit to memory every time someone says it to me. I am pretty sure it's really common on the Mainland too.