Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2014 American/EU Applicants

haoyu

This topic is for discussion on the American and EU application process.

Edited in Admin note: This topic was started by our CSC Hero, Brian US. Brian has now moved back to the US and doesn't post so much, so I've given ownership to NEW CSC Hero, Haoyu. Thanks to both Brian and Haoyu, and also the much-missed CSC Goddess, extrapages. 

The general discussion may be found here with supporting information and discussion on last year's results here. Non-US/EU applicants should go to the Other Applicants topic and check out last year's American/EU topic here.

Message me for the US and EU contact information. New members cannot message, so post here and I will enable it for you. For the online application use the agency number 00006 for the EU and 8401 for the US.

Deadlines (not updated but based from last year):

US: March 15th, 2014
EU: March 30th, 2014

• Like 2

If I am applying from the UK, which is obviously part of the EU, do I use the EU number (00006) or is there a special number reserved for the UK?

Also, a part of the CSC scholarship application form is "Contact in China " and the 2nd part of this section is entitled " Family members".

I have an official contact at Shanghai Jiaotong university that I can use for the "contact in China" part, but I'm not sure what to write for the "Family members" section.

Anyone have any ideas?

Regards

• New Members

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I would like to study Chinese for 2 years. The non-degree language programs for most of the schools I'm looking at say they are 1 year programs. Does this mean I can re-apply for another year of language learning or is it '1 year and leave'? I just want to make sure putting down that I'd like to stay for 2 doesn't lessen my chances. Thank you!

• New Members

你好!

I am currently studying in China (got Chinese Government Scholarship for one year to learn Chinese), but I was wondering is it possible to get the scholarship for Master's Degree? I graduated in UK (Tourism Management) and straight after graduation I moved to China, to study. Not gonna lie, I love it here. But could someone please provide me some information? Do I still have a chance to get a scholarship AGAIN but this time to study MA? 

Yes, I googled it, but information seems old and it would be very useful to find someone in the same situation (or someone who has any clue with that kind of business..).

Appreciate your help!

@SangDi

I saw your post and tried to PM you but seems I can't so I'll reply here. A couple years ago I got the EU Scholarship to study Chinese for one year in China, and then I got a scholarship to study a Masters in China, with one year 'Chinese language training' beforehand (as the Masters is taught in Chinese). Since the EU scholarship only initially covers one year, and I had to be enrolled in a UK HEI to apply to the CSC through the embassy my only option was applying directly to the university. I don't know your situation, but it's possible it could be the same. If you want any more info about applying direct to universities then let me know.

Finally, it is possible to get another scholarship for Masters studies, you do have a chance, so good luck!

• Like 1

"I saw your post and tried to PM you but seems I can't so I'll reply here."

New members don't have access to the private messaging systems. We also ask that members keep information in public where possible - it lets more people benefits, attracts more people to the site, and allows others to add further comments or corrections. 

• 4 weeks later...

@seahorsemafia

It is possible to reapply for the same language scholarship, though in most cases reapplying is mostly rejected. At least out of my 12 friends only 1 got the scholarship twice in a row for language studies (EU window program). If you first apply for a language program, and after that for a degree program, your chances are much better based on the previous years' experience. There are some universities which have their own scholarship quota, for example the university where I have studied offered us to extend our scholarship for another year with the CSC. So it is possible to stay for two years, but it only turns out after the first year. :)

@SangDi

Which scholarship did you get for this school year? The EU Window? Because with that scholarship scheme, you can apply for a master program as well this year! My former classmates first got the one-year language scholarship, then they reapplied for master with success. Municipalities and provinces also have their own CSC scholarships for degree programs, and you can also apply directly to universities.

Hi, I had received scholarship last year but because of my personal issues i could not go to China last year. I want to apply this year but somewhere I heard that if you decline once you will not be offered scholarships again. Can someone please clarify a little or post further information. Thank you.

Hi:)

I'm sorry if this question was somewhere in that forum before, I was trying to look for it but I failed;/

I just got my results of HSK and fortunately I passed HSK 3, HSK 2 and HSKK 1. Next autumn I would love to go to China for Chinese language course for 1 semester or 1 year. I have a Confucius Institute at my University, however I'm attending to Chinese classes to private school. CI at my uni cooperates with Xiamen University, obviously I would like to apply for Confucius Institute Scholarship at this place. However, I'm afraid that my application would be rejected (for example because they would prefer students from CI).

My question is: Can I apply both for Confucius Institute Scholarship and Chinese Government Scholarship (EU window)? (Of course I understand that I can get only 1 :-) ). For how many places (host institutes?) can I apply through both of this scholarships? 

Thank you very much for any answers or information!!:)

You can apply for both scholarship schemes, it shouldn't be a problem. You also doesn't have to select the same universities: as far as I remember, you can fill two spots for the CIS and three spots for the CSG. If you get both scholarship, you will have to decide which one to accept. I don't know which university you want to attend, but please note that even if your CI accepts your application, the host university can still reject you, which will result in failing the scholarship, so it isn't reasonable to aim for top universities.

CSG scholarship doesn't work like this way: if the embassy selects you, there will be a university which is willing to accept your application.

My personal advice is to apply for both.

Also curious to know the answer to kcb's question on turning down the scholarship and then reapplying. I want to apply for a CSC, but may have to turn it down until next year, I would like to apply though, so that I have more options.

ZhangKaiRong thank you very much for your reply:)  Honestly speaking, I'm not familiar with chinese universities ranking, and now I see I should put an attention to it:) I chose Xiamen University because I have a friend there and I read somewhere on this forum that it is better to apply to the university that cooperates with my CI as they can recommend me or sth. I have a last question for you:) I have both EU and Russian citizenship and I'm wondering if it would be better to apply to CGS (Eu Window) or just normal CGS? 

Guys, apparently we need to include a photocopy of our foreigner physical examination form in our application.

Do any of you guys know where I can get a blank copy of this form so I can give it to my doctor here in the UK to complete?

Thanks!!!

• New Members

Guys, I see you are talking about examination forms and stuff.. Well, I strongly suggest not to bother in your countries (I spent almost £150) and I had to re-do it again in China and pay almost 50 dollars. Oh god I was mad! I am sure they will ask you to take the tests again (it takes just few hours for everything)and pay again!

Ink15 I think it's better to make all the tests that they require, I read that a lot of applications were rejected as they were not full. Today I made ECC, X-Ray and went to laboratory to take AIDS, syphilis and blood type tests. In my country I spent on it abt 30 mins and paid abt 50$. In two weeks with all my results I go to the doctor (abt 20$). They would re-test us for sure, I suppose they require pre-testing just to be sure that you are really healthy and you can be accepted for the scholarship. But now I'm really happy that it didn't cost me as much as SangDi;/

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hi!

I was wondering if there has been an official call for application for EU Window so far. I've been ckecking here and here and nothing has come up yet. So have you guys found an official call on some other site? Can you begin to apply before an official call is published? I'm sorry if my questions seem stupid.

I also have a few questions on how to choose institutions but I don't know if this is the proper thread to ask about this. Please let me know.

Thanks in advance!