Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2014 Other Applicants

haoyu

This topic is for discussion on applicants not from the US or EU.

Edited in Admin note: This topic was started by our CSC Hero, Brian US. Brian has now moved back to the US and doesn't post so much, so I've given ownership to NEW CSC Hero, Haoyu. Thanks to both Brian and Haoyu, and also the much-missed CSC Goddess, extrapages. 

The general discussion may be found here with supporting information and discussion on last year's results may be found here. American and EU applicants should discuss here with last year's 'Other Applicants' topic here.

See main discussion for which agency number to use for the online application.

Deadlines (not updated but based from last year):
Generally should be April 30, 2013

Argentina-March 28, 2014
Australia-December 26, 2013
Canada: Ontario Dec 15, 2013
British Columbia January 31, 2014
Ottawa December 20, 2013
Indonesia-March 2014
Jamaica-February 25, 2014
Malaysia-April 30, 2014
Morocco-March 30, 2014
Pakistan-April 30, 2014
Philippines-April 15, 2014
Poland-March 15, 2014
Russia-March 30, 2014

• Like 1

• New Members

kello, am emmanuel archibong a nigerian. Am looking forword to studying in china under the chinese govt scholarship. I would wellcome the many help that will be given to me in this forum through information on how to apply for undergraduate studies. I want to know if china do offer scholarship to candidate who want to enroll in undergraduate studies in china.

• New Members

Hi! I have a question...

I'm currently 32 years old and I left high school about one year before graduation, and at the moment I'm doing a travel and tourism diploma but I'm only half way through the course... would this be a problem if applying for the CSC scholarship? Should I request a transcript anyway?

Thank u!

• New Members

Hello, I am Angela, from Indonesia.

I am going to graduate senior high school next year and I am looking for information how to apply for Chinese Government Scholarship at Nanjing University or Beijing University for Aeronautical Engineering faculty.

If any of you have been granted a scholarship, I would really appreciate if you could share some information and advice.

Thanks a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, I had received scholarship last year but because of my personal issues i could not go to China last year. I want to apply this year but somewhere I heard that if you decline once you will not be offered scholarships again. Can someone please clarify a little or post further information. Thank you.

Hey,

This  may have been answered (didn't find it thou!) but is there any way to apply from China?
. . .and not just from China but independantly of your native country. . . as in, through your uni in China? (for example)

Last time I tried to apply through my country, the local Ministry of Education had established itself as an intermediary so that, if the CSC granted us 4 scholarships, the Ministry of Education would handpick exactly 4 candidates beforehand (without looking at the applications) and allow those and only those 4 applications through. . . and that's how these last months in China I've the pleasure to meet fellow countrymen, who can't speak the language, don't dare anywhere beyond the 校区 gate, constantly complain about China and eventually relinquish everything to jump into the first plane back. . . but got here with a scholarship because their mum/dad works at Ministry of Education back home.

Anyway. . . things have apparently improved as there's a way, for language course scholarships only, to apply directly at the Chinese Embassy; provided you have a high HSK score (which I do).
 Now, the catch is: they don't like people who are already studying in China; those are bad and don't deserve a scholarship - even if they've been running on their hard earned savings all along.
(Same thing with the Confucious Scholarships BTW; got my HSK results right before the date of my flight - so I dropped by to ask if I could get an extra semester on a scholarship. . . forget it. . . "Ah no. . . hahahah. . . Ah no. . . hahahah. . . We only help people who are not in China" (sic) )

However, not all hope is lost: Provided I dish out 2000+USD on a 32 hour flight back home and be there while I apply and my application is considered, none of the above will matter. . .

Ok, back to the question:
- Does anyone have experience getting the CSC scholarship while in China? how exactly?

- I've been thinking that a lot of the bureaucracy has to do with coming into China with an X visa; I imagine arriving at A uni with a residence permit from B province and an invitation later. . . how's that? madness?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, anybody got Chinese Goverment Scholarship for any English Program in Chinese University before?

I tried to apply the CGS for Master Engineering (in English) in Tsinghua University, but the uni's rep told me that it may not be acceptable since the program is in English.

So she suggested to apply for Beijing Scholarship or Tsinghua University Scholarship instead. 

Just that the both scholarships mentioned only cover the tuition but no monthly allowance.

:help

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm from Brazil and I want to apply for CSC Scholarship by Chinese Embassy in Brazil, but their website still haven`t update information about CSC Scholarship 2014, what about your embassies? I think they are delayed because of 春节..

Thanks

Hello.

I'm from Malaysia and this is going to be my third time applying (officially second time because last 2 years I only applied online and I was not able to send my application to the embassy on time because I was hospitalised).

The first time I applied was in 2011. I applied for the undergraduate program and they rejected my application because it was incomplete. They told me I had to submit a recommendation letter.

The second time was in 2012 (as mentioned above).

I did not apply last year because I went to South Korea for an exchange program (yes, I am currently a university student in my sophomore year but I am still hoping to get this scholarship and to study in China).

This is the last time I am going to apply. I really hope that I will get the scholarship this year.

I am going to apply for an undergraduate program in Chinese as a Foreign Language and my universities of choices are Sun Yat Sen University, South China University of Technology and South China Normal University. 

All the best to all the applicants! (^.^)/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

I'm from Russian and interesting in getting Bachelor's degree in China (with 1 year of Chinese)

The question is: how I can apply to Bilaterial program? I guess this is the one "way out" of this situation.  I'd like to know, if you know the information,like the universities in which I can apply (would like to do this directly) and what should I do then? I don't understand anything!!! :(((

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello. I am Haste from Philippines. I plan to apply for Chinese Government Scholarship. I am actually interested in the long term language program but i would like to pursue my graduate studies after the Chinese language program. Would anyone here know if you can apply for the scholarship for Chinese language program and apply for the scholarship after the long term language program? I am not sure if 1 year preparatory classes is enough to complete masters in Chinese. Hence, the enrollment in the Chinese language program if possible. Is the scenario possible (long term language program then masters program). 

Also, is it mandatory to put in a guarantor in China? What does the guarantor do? 

Hi everyone, sorry I'm a bit late on this thread, I have so much going on right now.  I will help with the questions whenever and wherever I can so don't hesitate to ask.

Glen321 - Well, it depends on where you are applying and if the agency will accept your application.  You are presented with 2 challenges though: firstly, that you do not have a high school graduation certificate, and secondly, that you are 32 years old (age limit for bachelors degree is 25 years old).  That said however, if your embassy or MOE accepts your application, you might have a shot.  Although I have met CSC students who were awarded the scholarship despite their having surpassed the age limit, I have never really met one who got it without graduating high school.  If you can get some solid recommendation letters (from your government or the Chinese embassy), it would really help your application.  Good luck!

Javanangelina - Contact the schools directly and ask them for the requirements of applying for CSC.  Schools have a certain quota and you will have an advantage if you meet their requirements.

KCB - Join the club! I was awarded the CSC scholarship last year but I decided to go with another scholarship.  This might really harm my chances if I do apply this year.  That said, if your Chinese embassy or MOE accepts your application, the CSC will probably just respect their wishes and grant you the scholarship.  Try to obtain a pre-admissions notice from the university or universities you want to attend, it increases your chances.

Alex Whiteman - It is possible as far as I know, but it really depends on the university you choose.  There is a new rule this year.  Normally, each university has a quota for CSC.  Many prefer to give it to students who are already studying in the university (e.g. excellent students or students who have good conduct and are going through some financial problems).  Over the past few years many foreigners in China have been applying for these university scholarships.  This year I have approached some universities inquiring about the requirements to obtain such a scholarship (that doesn't include my embassy nor my MOE).  A few of them told me that this year the CSC requires a document from the applicant's Chinese embassy.  This document is called "application form" or "application letter".  It doesn't really matter what it's called because the Chinese embassies are all aware of this document.  Chinese embassies are requested to liase with the MOE or the government representative body.  The government body authorized should give the Chinese embassy permission to give this letter to the student.  When the Chinese embassy gets the approval, they will then send the original application letter to CSC headquarters in Beijing.  Alternatively, this letter can be sent to the university, who will then submit your application documents.  Some universities are either unaware of this change or they have more 'authority' on their CSC candidates because some of my friends have applied to universities that did not request this document.

rhett - If you are filling in the CSC scholarship form, you can leave the guarantor section empty.  If you have already been accepted by a school, you can fill it up with the school's details.

bs1997 - Leave it blank, put the information of the school that has accepted you or put the information of your Chinese embassy.  I don't think this part will have an affect on your application so do not worry about it.

revealed - That's what they always say.  When the results come out, we all find out that so many people got into the English-medium programs.  Some schools will allow you to apply for them through CSC, others won't.  If your Chinese embassy supports you in this, get them to talk to the school.

Lin You Le - Have you been able to find the information you need? The website now has the information CSC applications for the year 2014/2015.

LittleDreamer - If you are applying for the Bilateral Program then your government and the Chinese embassy in your country will have to be involved.  You will have to apply through your government and then they will pass on your documents to the embassy.  If you want to apply directly to the universities, try searching for information on University Scholarships, many universities offer them.

tanhaste - No, the guarantor information is not important.  If the online system allows you to leave it blank, you can leave it blank.  If you want to apply for a masters degree with one year language, you only have to apply for a masters degree.  You can also select the box where it says you need preparatory Chinese language classes for one year.  You do not have to apply for the language year separately.

I wish all of you the best of luck!

• Like 2

@Shuoshuo, thanks for the reply! :) I'm trying to apply through our embassy. Only, I am a bit confused with the requirements. In some websites, they say admission/acceptance notice from universities are "optional" since the embassy will be the one to inform the university about the application. In some, they say it is needed. I checked with the embassy or the dispatching authorities here and they themselves aren't sure how csc works. But when I look into the school websites, they say application time has passed. :o So I'm still hoping the dispatching authorities can do something (as said in some websites). 

Anyway, thanks again for the reply.