Chinese-Forums

Some good orators to shadow?

deathtrap

I'm looking for some recordings of people considered to be excellent orators so I can shadow them and improve my pronunciation and accent. Does anyone have any links to any? 

I probably shouldn't be making any demands, but I ask kindly that not only do they have a good accent, pronunciation, but also that their speech and speaking skills be good as well. I'd like to also learn their rhythm, speed, and style as well. 

Thank you kindly! (and I hope I wasn't too demanding)

Thanks! I've seen a few videos on Youtube. Seems pretty good(even though I can't tell good from bad!). Most of what I've found are interviews and I found 1 short speech. His speaking rhythm and pace seem pretty nice.

If anyone has any more keep them coming. 

out of curiosity, why 姜文?

I'm currently struggling with the same question as the OP as well. My Chinese friends all say my accent is incredibly 标准, but despite it's 标准-ness, distinctively 外国的. They say if they were only listening to my voice, they wouldn't be able to guess I was from America, or even white, but they would know I wasn't raised in China.

So it's a difficult challenge - my pronunciation is about where it needs to be, but it's a goal of mine to sound like a native in accent as well. I've met plenty of Chinese with fantastic American and British accents, all of whom had not even left China till their collegiate years. I am convinced the reverse can be attainable.

One thing I love about 姜文's voice is the deep, natural feel to it - but I feel like it also might be at the cost of clarity in pronunciation. Would you say that's the case? Would you say it matters?

• Like 1

Another voice I'll always be fond of is 董行佶, a 朗诵家. I used to have his reading of 骆驼祥子 (Rickshaw Boy) and you can still find it via the link in this audiobooks topic. Might need to be a bit older to pull it off properly though....

姜文's a good one - northern, but not at all in your face about it. Both Imron and I spent most of our time in the north (姜文 grew up in Tangshan, next door to Imron's old stomping grounds), so I think we have a preference for that. I wouldn't mind sounding like 窦文涛 either. You could say his pronunciation isn't that clear, but it's clear enough and absolutely well within the limits for what you'll hear in real life. You obviously don't want to be making mistakes, but at the same time you don't want to always be talking like you're applying for an elocution professorship. Maybe take a look at this interview for what he sounds like when he's not acting. 

There, you can combine your shadowing with an audiobook, a movie, or a TV show. Value for money on this site, can't deny that...

Also - what about some women?

• 1 month later...

It's improving and definitely better than it was a month ago. I've been recording myself shadowing and speaking on my own with the same sentences. When I'm shadowing I seem to replicate the sounds just fine, but when I try on my own everything breaks down and I sound really foreign. I think it's a matter of practice because it's not a matter of inability to replicate the sounds but rather remembering what a native accent sounds like. Practice practice practice. As for timing and flow, I'm a hell of a lot better than I was considering I had almost no flow in Chinese at all and I wouldn't know where to put the stresses, pauses...etc.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

out of curiosity, why 姜文

Because he is, you know, attractive. 

I can't find a good female. I don't like the 娃娃音. 

I particularly like her phrasing, her use of dramatic pauses. She manages to sound completely natural while still making a powerful presentation. Doesn't come across as "oratory," and I think that's the best kind.

In passing, last week I spent 4 or 5 days with Chinese friends on a trip (to the South Yunnan Tea Mountains.) Her video came up for discussion half a dozen times. Was glad I had seen it. Everyone seemed proud of her.