Chinese-Forums

Our strategy to teach our kids Chinese

miaomiao

Thanks for your post. Are you worried that your kids will pick up a non native Chinese accent, when you speak to them in Chinese? I don't know how good your accent is, but what would you recommend in cases where one of the parents has a non native accent?

• Like 2

Thanks for a great post.

I was going to ask you about the "one parent, one language" method, but I see that there's a nice article here comparing the "one parent, one language" method with the "minority language at home" method.  The method you are using appears to be this latter method (i.e. using Chinese, the minority language in the US. at home).

http://www.omniglot.com/language/articles/bilingualkids4.htm

Raising Bilingual Children: The Different Methods to Success

• Like 3

For more TV resources, you might consider by a mainland China equivalent of Apple TV/ROKU.  There are many choices available and much cheaper than Apple TV or ROKU.

My mom, who lives in the US, has been using this iQiyi set top box, and she says it works well for most shows.  This is the 4K (ultra HD) version:

http://item.jd.com/1144553.html

创维(Skyworth) i71S 爱奇艺4K盒子 四核 双WIFI 网络机顶盒 安卓4.4.2 钛黑

Looks like JD.com can ship to the US for a good subset of their products (I couldn't find the 4K iQiyi box, but this 1080p version is available):

http://en.jd.com/product/skyworth-i71-hdmi-dual-cores-wifi-tv-converter-box-network-player-green/998291.html

Skyworth i71 HDMI Dual Cores WIFI TV Converter Box Network Player Green

http://help.en.jd.com/help/question-42.html

We currently ship to 78 countries/regions, using trusted third party courier services such as UPS, DHL and EMS. All products listed on our site can be shipped to the countries/regions listed below, and cost of delivery is automatically calculated at the checkout stage based on your shipping method, destination country/region and the combined product weight. Supersaver, Regular and Express shipping options are available and will be displayed when you checkout. Tracking is also available on ALL our parcels, so once you receive a dispatch email from our warehouse, you will be able to track your parcel every step of the way.

You can also of course buy Chinese books from such online shopping sites as amazon.cn and jd.com.  

For Chinese music, I recommend that you download Douban FM app (avail for both iOS and Android) (it's a good source of Chinese indie music):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.douban.radio

• Like 1

ADAM_CLO: My accent is quite good, but I am still worried about it. I remember being in Taiwan and meeting a family where the dad was American and the mom was Taiwanese. The kids spoke English with a crazy accent! It wasn't even like the dad's accent. People say our kids have a decent accent, so maybe we're doing OK. But I admit my wife wonders sometimes where they learned some bad grammar... only to eventually discover they learned it from me!

Gato: thanks for that link! I admit we have been concerned at times that our kids don't speak English as well as their peers. We even took a break for a few weeks to speak English in the home to help him improve at one point. It helped our kids improve very quickly and we were able to switch back to Chinese. Our oldest is very shy and I think needed that boost in his English to interact with his peers.

Roddy: You are right, there are a tremendous amount of apps out there. Most are crap. We favor the following 4 apps:

Gato: thanks so much for sharing that skyworth device! I had heard about those things but never really investigated. I'll show my wife and we'll consider getting one for sure. Eventually. Although we got our Roku for $40, which is cheaper than the skyworth device.

And thanks for sharing about the douban app! I think we will for sure start using that!

• Like 2

My wife and I are raising three (hopefully) bilingual daughters, in Shanghai up until March and now in Southern California. Our oldest is 7 and just finished the last couple months of first grade here in English (was in Chinese grade 1 in Shanghai); the middle daughter was in daban and just finished kindergarten here, and will repeat it next year; and the youngest is 2.5. For various reasons, the oldest switches back and forth quickly and fluently between English/Chinese, the middle one has trouble with both, and the youngest speaks mostly Chinese. We speak mostly Chinese at home, but I'm a frequent offender of this policy. A few reactions to the OPs post and sharing of our own experiences:

• It gets harder to keep them speaking Chinese when they hit school, but it's not impossible. Our school has the most native Spanish-speakers of any in our district, and I wonder if this makes it easier for our daughters to accept that being bilingual is cool.
  • Go out of your way to make Chinese friends, especially friends with kids. Meetup.com is good for this. Peer teaching/learning is a powerful teaching tool.
  • We use iPad+PPTV+AppleTV to mirror Chinese cartoons onto the TV.
  • Dangdang delivers to the US for RMB 50, takes a couple months so order early.
  • Use the local Chinese supermarket/bookstore. We are lucky in that Southern California is blessed in this regard. We picked up a set of textbooks/practice books by 中国暨南大学华文学院 called 《中文》 at a bookstore by the Ranch 99 in Rowland Heights for our two older daughters; it's geared toward CSL learners, with chapter headings and some appendices translated into English. It focuses on characters, and has pinyin above words but doesn't teach it explicitly. We're having them work through a couple pages a day. Our second daughter, who had not formally started learning characters in Shanghai, just read her first "poem" today and was very proud of herself. So exciting for her, and for us as parents.
  • We read a story or two every night before bedtime, sometimes in English (daddy) and sometimes in Chinese (mommy). The series we're working through right now for the Chinese is the 《故事馆》 series. They really enjoy the 侦探故事馆 book, which has mysteries and then you flip the page upside down to read the solution, a la Encyclopedia-Brown/Two-Minute Mysteries.
  • They've been playing iPad apps that teach pinyin/characters since we lived in Shanghai, but from my perspective these apps only seem to support learning that happened offscreen, never replace it.
  • My oldest daughter used a hand-me-down smartphone with WiFi to listen to Chinese music (I think we used Kugou), but the screen has broken and we haven't had the chance to replace it.

We would love to get them into a bilingual/immersion school, but those are few and far between. We are budgeting for frequent trips back to China in the future.

• Like 3

It seems that Douban FM (as well as 虾米音乐, another similar music steaming all) have been removed from the non-US version of Apple AppStore for copyright reasons. They are still available on the China AppStore, and Android app stores.

msittig: what a great post! Thanks for your guidance and ideas. You are further along in this process than we are! I would love for our kids to make chinese friends! You would think living in Houston we would have done that by now... but we don't live close to many Chinese people and we're not terribly social. We don't really have many American friends either ;-0. We went to the library today and actually met tons of Chinese families. Most of them weren't interested in becoming friends, however. They already had their group of friends. My wife did get the number of one family, so maybe we will hang out in the future.

Never heard of PPTV, we will give it a look.

Have you tried the Chinese Writer app? I think it's one of the best ways out there to learn characters.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everyone, you and your kids are undoubtedly at a vastly more advanced level than me, but you might find the following text I wrote interesting (and hopefully amusing) nonetheless.

http://mandarinexperiment.com/2014/05/18/how-to-teach-your-children-mandarin-chinese-qiao-hu-week-17/ 

My six-year-old daughter is a fully bilingual, native Portuguese/English speaker, reader, writer and is also learning Spanish and dabbling in Mandarin and American Sign Language. I have a good amount of experience with language acquisition and instruction.