Chinese-Forums

World Cup Vocabulary

michaelS

Many of us may be watching the World Cup in the thick of a Chinese-speaking crowd, or at least with Chinese commentary on CCTV5, and to that end it'd be nice to brush up on vocabulary for football in general and the World Cup in particular.

I'm starting a partial list here, please post suggestions below, and corrections especially!

Also, if you're interested in following a Chinese discussion about the World Cup, come to this thread.

Teams & Players

巴西  Bāxī   ---  Brazil

阿根廷  Āgēntíng   ---  Argentina

乌拉圭  Wūlāguī   ---  Uruguay

皇马  Huángmǎ    ---  Real Madrid

巴萨  Bāsà    ---   Barça

内马尔  Nèimǎ'ěr   ---   Neymar
梅西  Méixī     ---    Messi

哈维  Hāwéi    ---   Xavi

范佩西   Fànpèixī    ---   Van Persie

罗本   Luōběn    ---   Robben

穆勒  Mùlēi   --- Thomas Muller

• Like 3

Useful and not-so-useful expressions

Describing Games

溃不成军   kuì​bù​chéng​jūn   ---  utterly defeated

满地找牙  mǎn dì zhǎo yá   --- beaten to a pulp

一败涂地  yī​bài​tú​dì    ---  crushed, beaten comprehensively

屠杀  tú​shā    ---  massacre, carnage

X Y     X bèi Y zhǎn    ---   X were torn to pieces by Y

大起大落  dà​qǐ​dà​luò    ---  a roller coaster game

Cliches and Useful Phrases

一个球队太早热,不是好事情”     Don’t peak too soon

西班牙的这种打法是有迹可循的”  The Spanish approach has become too predictable

有对球的专注力”   Have composure on the ball

卡塔尔拿钱去贿赂”    Qatar only got the World Cup by bribery

“应该把卡塔尔那个事情给他颠覆”   The Qatar decision should be overturned

[for viewers in China only]每个人都不知道是要提早睡,睡到半夜起来看,还是要看完再去睡”   Nobody knows whether to have an early night and then get up in the middle of the night, or to stay up and watch the game and then go to bed.

Misc

伪球迷  wěi qiúmí   ---  fake fans (seems like a popular expression in China)

勉强赢到  miǎnqiáng yíngdào   ---  to scrape a win

• Like 4

I think "出线在望" is something like "with the next round in sight". The dictionary says 出现 is "...参赛者获得参加下一阶段比赛的资格", and 在望 is "within sight" literally, or "is about to happen" figuratively.

I would guess "5:2" is read 五比二.

• Like 3

When I saw this thread the first expression about the world cup that came to my mind was, 无聊.  As in....  看足球怎么这么无聊啊! 

As you can see I'm not a 伪球迷.  Year round, 365 days per year, I don't watch the sport, just not my cup of tea, but hope everyone is enjoying it.  

Nice job to MichaelS for pulling together some useful vocab.

When I saw this thread the first expression about the world cup that came to my mind was, 无聊.  As in....  看足球怎么这么无聊啊! 

As you can see I'm not a 伪球迷.  Year round, 365 days per year, I don't watch the sport, just not my cup of tea, but hope everyone is enjoying it.  

Same here, definitely not my cup of tea... But living in a country where it's a #1 sport (even though our team sucks and we didn't even qualify) it's very difficult to escape the craziness :D :D 

I actually finished a lesson on 世界杯 in my Road to Success textbook a few weeks ago and I was excited to see that I remembered some of the words and expressions when I came to this thread :) 

Skylee's is excellent! As I found out by searching:

"足球是圆的"的意思是说在足球场上什么样的事情都可能发生

English: "It's a funny old game" or perhaps "Football eh? Bloody hell".

and equally cliched but effective:

“这就是足球”是人们对足球完美的性质的感慨

Let's skin this cat another way...

Any suggestions for how to render these useful footy-related sentences into Chinese:

• "It's a game of two halves"
  • "It's end-to-end stuff"
  • "Italy have parked the bus"
  • "Thing about Arsenal, they always try to walk it in"

@michaelS: I don't even understand what these sentences mean in English...

somewhat out of topic: I am not a football fan either, I usually don't watch unless I have insomnia (the players moving on a green field put me to sleep very efficiently) or it's the World Cup and the climate surrounding my national team isn't too bad (in which case I set the volume high enough to avoid falling asleep during the matches I really want to see to have something to discuss with my colleagues).

Now I have to ask, are those shirts are getting tighter? because I don't recall noticing any players nipples back in 1998 but now some are clearly visible, especially (oddly enough) on Algerian players.

I'd adjust muirm's  出线 explanation a bit, perhaps unnecessarily - rather than just the next round, it refers to qualification for it, by crossing an imaginary line which means that no matter what the results in future games, you are through.