Chinese-Forums

Two master's degrees, university teaching experience, but no TESOL certification

Vinz Clortho

I am interested in teaching English in China, specifically Beijing, where a friend of mine lives, but I don't have any sort of TESOL certification.  I have an MA in English, a Master's in Libray Science and university teaching experience. While getting my MA in English I was a graduate assistant employed in the university writing center.  While getting my MLS I was mostly employed as a research assistant and I since three full semesters of university teaching experience running a freshmen research methods course.  Without any kind of a certification could I get a job or do I need to get complete one of the online certification programs as well?

Yes, You could get "a job" without a TEFL/TESOL/Celta.

A job that just asks for "any kind" of TEFL would likely hire you without one anyway. The online or weekend tefl courses are just bits of paper. Not worth much other than ticking a box.

A job that asks for a CELTA or TESOL (externally assessed, accredited) usually would need you to have one or get one before starting work.

There are plenty of both these types of job. My current employer hires people with and without a CELTA currently. It depends on the person more and their relevant experience.

The experience you have is mostly with older students or adults. Would you want to teach that age group? Most of the jobs i see advertised are for children's English classes.