Chinese-Forums

Review of "An Elementary Course in Scientific Chinese: Listening and Speaking (Vol. 1)"

Michael H

Thanks a lot for this review, really useful stuff. I want to start studying scientific material in Chinese soon and originally planned to just buy some Chinese high school textbooks and work through them, but these specially tailored for foreigners books seem like a better choice.

Just one question, what level would you say these books are at? By this I mean is the science the kind of stuff you learned when you were 12, 16, 18 years old or does it cover uni level material (since it''s an elementary course, I assume it'll contain high school level material).

I would say that the scientific level of the reading passages varies from elementary school to high school. But these are just very short samples (mostly in physics and chemistry) and do not systematically cover any topic. You will surely get much better preparation by reading regular Chinese high school texts - if you can. If your Chinese is not yet good enough for that, then the book I reviewed might help bring your Chinese skills up closer to the required level.

• Like 1

Thanks. I'm around HSK level 6 right now, so the high books shouldn't be too difficult, but these should provide a good preparation.