Chinese-Forums

Tuttle Publishing Giveaway - Phase 1

roddy

Happy to be able to announce yet another giveaway, this time in cooperation with Tuttle Publishing.

Unfortunately this time round we can only ship to the US and Canada. I realise that's going to put a lot of people out of the running - but on the other hand, all the more for the Yanks and Canucks. We can give up to two books per person - will look at demand and the difference it makes to shipping costs.

The deal is, as usual, that we give you something free on the assumption that when you get it you will come back and tell us about it. We've had some excellent reviews as a result of these giveaways, and I look forward to more. 

If you are in the US and Canada and can spot a book or two you'd like to review, please: 

1) Say which book and why it suits you - will you be using it yourself, with students, a child? 

2) Provide a link to something that will convince me you will actually review this book once you get it. Maybe you've already written up a review (or three) in a previous giveaway. Or you've just written up a review of a book you actually bought. Doesn't have to be on here, could be on Amazon or a blog. This isn't essential, but it's a big plus. 

3) If you've missed out on earlier giveaways, say so - I'd like to be as fair as possible, but at the same time I don't have a spreadsheet of who's who. 

So, what actual books do we have available...

Chinese for Beginners (with Audio CD, and a 4.5 star rating on Amazon)

Chinese Flashcard Kit, Volume 1, including: 

349 Flash Cards.
A Handy Organizing Ring .
Audio Recordings of More than 2000 words and phrases .
Plus a 32-page study booklet.

My First Book of Chinese Words

Chinese Character a Day Practice Pad

The 1st 100 Chinese Characters - Simplified Edition

Tuttle Learner's Chinese-English Dictionary (think this is the one Pleco offers?)

Essential Chinese - a 'self-study guide and phrasebook'

And a couple of cultural ones: 

Decoding China - a handbook for living in China

and finally

The Chinese Way in Business

Edit: No, not finally, I forgot

Studying in China - this is a very recent publication, only been out for a month. 

There's more to come - I should be posting another ten or so in two weeks, and after that...there's more!

I'd be interested in "Decoding China - a handbook for living in China" if no one else is interested in it. I am hoping to visit China next year.

Example reviews:

An Elementary Course in Scientific Chinese

Tuttle Learning Chinese Characters

250 Essential Chinese Characters for Everyday Use

Hi Roddy,

Well, this topic seems pretty quiet. I would be willing to review Chinese for Beginners. I am an intermediate Chinese reader (currently at the end of book 3 of the Tales and Traditions Readers from Cheng-Tsui, a series I have highly recommended on this forum; ready to move on to book 4 in just a month or so with my private tutor), and my spoken Chinese is not far behind but lags because of lack of speakers to practice with here in the middle of the U.S. I completed Integrated Chinese levels 1 and 2, as well as Tales and Traditions as reader supplements. I am also a university prof so I think I should be able to write an objective review as grading is part of my everyday routine. I have not participated in any other give-aways.

If you think I am a worthy candidate then please send me a private message and I can give you shipping details. I prefer not to post that here. If you want to send me a second book then I would be interested in the business in China book.

Russ

• 3 weeks later...

In case it helps peak anyone's interest, Tuttle Learner's Chinese-English Dictionary is a great dictionary for beginners, and it's one of the few paper dictionaries I kept after getting Pleco. Every word is high-frequency and useful, and has at least one or two sample sentences. It also explains the character breakdown for 2+ character words. Of course, you still get that with the Pleco version, but the paper dictionary allows easier random-access to entries (to let you learn new things that you weren't necessarily looking for).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.

Did this giveaway ever happened? I wonder from which countries do our forum users access Chinese-Forums.com
I am based in Louisiana.

I've done a video review of my copy of Assimil. I can do the same for Tuttle books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2N1-a4aHb4

I've also written a review after trying FluentU

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/45121-my-fluentu-review/

I've tried to participate in giveaways, but I usually find out too late =-(

I have videos of my spoken and listening skills in my thread
http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/44848-my-chinese-progress-log-videos/

One of the surprising factors is that after +8 months of learning Chinese I still use Pinyin only. I would like to review the Chinese Flashcard Kit, Volume 1,
If I receive it, I'll most likely buy Tuttle Learning Chinese Characters: A revolutionary New Way to Learn and Remember the 800 most basic Chinese Characters + New practical Chinese reader vol 1. I'll be learning by myself using these 3 formats (unless you have a better idea/approach. I have no prior experience with characters).

I will be travelling to Beijing next year. Although I have a decent Chinese, I keep acting like an American while speaking it. Decoding China sounds like a nice book with tips on what to do and what to avoid while visiting China. When in Rome, do as the Romans do (or in this case, do as the Chinese do!). Maybe after reading it and writing a review, I can go to China and see how accurate it is =-)

I've tried the the Tuttle dictionary demo. I'll probably buy it soon from Pleco =-)
I already have a paper dictionary. I bought Langenscheidt Pocket Dictionary Mandarin Chinese. Believe it or not, I bought it because of the strong cover material it's made of. I have been thinking of making a video showing the vocabulary that I've actually looked for in a paper dictionary (since Pleco is my weapon of choice nowadays).

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am located in Ontario, Canada and I am an elementary-level learner of Mandarin, having completed 2 classroom-based courses in the last year in my area and am studying at HSK 2 level,

I am interested in reviewing : 

Tuttle Learner's Chinese-English Dictionary
Chinese Flashcard Kit, Volume 1
The Chinese Way in Business.

I have participated in a previous giveaway and have posted 3 reviews, listed below:

My First Chinese Storybooks—That Is Wrong, That Is Wrong” 

"Beginner’s Chinese"

"Everyday Chinese

Please advise when you make your decisions and I will provide my contact informatnon

Steve

Sorry, Smcullen - actually just sent in a list of names and addresses a couple of days back (it took a while, mainly due to me). I didn't update in here as I didn't think anybody else would be posting - my bad. 

• 4 weeks later...