Chinese-Forums

How to brew green tea with a gaiwan 盖碗

abcdefg

That should be a fine adventure, Shelley. I wish you great success. Maybe you will meet a clerk at the store who knows a lot. Remember to try using the gaiwan several times with plain cool tap water before doing it with hot water.

What we did in class was to first do several "mock brewings" with cool water, going through the whole process -- all the above steps, even rinsing the cups. Then we rehearsed with warm water (not boiling) but no tea leaves. When we had it all down pretty well, then we tried it with hotter water and just a few tea leaves. Then we did it "for real."

The teacher would circulate through the class, stopping at each student's bench, sipping our results and giving constructive comments. "Oh, it tastes like you didn't use enough tea leaves. Let's have a look. (Takes off the top of my gaiwan.) Yep. Take your gaiwan and go look at hers and his, do a side by side comparison, and also taste a cup of their tea. See if you don't think it tastes better than yours."

"Now save back some of your not so good brewed tea and then do it all again using more leaves. Compare your first batch with your second. See what you think."

She could also "diagnose" other problems, such as "Your water wasn't hot enough" or "You steeped it too long" just from tasting a sip of it. She would make you try again, taking pains to correct that specific error. I found it amazing and very helpful. 

She, and the other teachers, kept emphasizing the point that so much of how tea tastes in the cup is technique. As a beginner several years ago I had naively assumed that the only thing which really counted was the quality of the tea leaves. I figured everything else would sort of magically take care of itself.

This kind of practical coursework stood my naive opinions on their head. Very humbling experience to be proved wrong over and over. But it presented a golden chance to learn.

• Like 1

Wanted to show you another way to hold the gaiwan.

post-20301-0-45211900-1431491113_thumb.jpg post-20301-0-22212000-1431490704_thumb.jpg post-20301-0-40452100-1431491216_thumb.jpg post-20301-0-86276100-1431491571_thumb.jpg

Index finger on the center of the lid. Pour through the crack. Thumb and middle finger hold the lip. Other fingers tucked out of the way.

People who use the gaiwan a lot are graceful and make it look effortless. It's really not when you first start. So if you find it awkward, don't be discouraged. Practice helps. Remember to start with cool water from the tap, just to get the feel of the system.

post-20301-0-10343000-1431492195_thumb.jpg post-20301-0-70725900-1431492268_thumb.jpg post-20301-0-29913100-1431492332_thumb.jpg

This is the Yunnan Youle Shan Maofeng, mentioned upthread. Wanted to give you an idea of volume, and let you see what the leaves look like when wet. Always spread a few out like this to better appreciate their structure. It's one of the way you tell good tea from second rate. 

Not a lot of stems. Only the terminal bud and one or two small, tender, young leaves. High grade stuff. Smooth, slightly floral taste, almost sweet at first. That's the 口感。The aftertaste 后感 is a little grassy. Overall delicate but not wimpy. Good tea in the morning. Good tea for late spring and early summer, right about now.

A footnote on aftertaste 后感。The way to best appreciate that feature of your tea is to take a mouth breath after swallowing. When that air hits the back of the tongue and palate, it produces a taste sensation that's different from what you get at first. Always pause to do that with a new tea once or twice. Focus on it as a separate part of the experience.

Making Biluochun 碧螺春 tea with the gaiwan 盖碗。

We've been talking about making green tea with the gaiwan in this thread, but have only illustrated the process thus far with Maofeng 毛峰 tea. Since good green tea often comes rolled in small "pearls" instead of just being loose leaves and buds, I thought it might be helpful to talk about it too at this early stage.

Really isn't all that different from the steps described above. The main difference is knowing how much tea to use. Here's how I do that, without resorting to precision measuring tools.

post-20301-0-51877300-1431651569_thumb.jpg post-20301-0-14547700-1431651578_thumb.jpg post-20301-0-19581300-1431651591_thumb.jpg

First a refresher on how the gaiwan looks. And indulge me further with a refresher on how Biluochun 碧螺春 looks as well, just sprinkled on a saucer.

If you look closely at the inside of your gaiwan, you will see two concentric bottom circles, one larger than the other. This is difficult to illustrate well in a photo, so I've taken several shots hoping that one or two are clear. I've even put a 1 Yuan coin 硬币 down there as a graphic helper.

post-20301-0-20595400-1431652493_thumb.jpg post-20301-0-07352100-1431652502_thumb.jpg post-20301-0-80162200-1431652510_thumb.jpg post-20301-0-81036200-1431652638_thumb.jpg

The reason all this matters is that it's how you know how much tea to use. With a pearl-rolled tea that I'm making for the first time, I use enough to cover the larger circle in a single layer. If that turns out to be too strong, I adjust the amount of tea next time, using only enough to cover the inner circle.

It's a "by-eye" measurement, and not precise. Sometimes I wind up using an amount between the smaller circle and the larger circle. I also ask my guest whether he or she prefers tea that is 浓一点 (stronger; nóng yīdiǎn  ) or 淡一点的 (weaker; dàn yīdiǎn.)

Here's what that looks like. Pearls covering only the small circle and pearls covering the large circle. Remember, only a single layer, not a heap. This tea is compact and expands a lot when it comes into contact with hot water.

post-20301-0-33026500-1431653285_thumb.jpg post-20301-0-75662600-1431653295_thumb.jpg

Then proceed to brew it as you would with the Maofeng tea, described above: warm the chabei first, etc.

• Like 1