Chinese-Forums

A plus for PLECO

Johnny20270

To put this into context I have no affiliation with PLECO, but for those of you looking to use a dictionary

I use ANKI for flashcards and take all my definitions from http://www.mdbg.net/ It uses the CCEDIT (as is included in PLECO too) but its becoming a problem as I have been noticing more and more words that have missing definitions 

Just looking at this entry 

shǔ

CC-CEDICT to count / to enumerate / to criticize (i.e. enumerate shortcomings)

PLECO: as above,  but includes the definition "be reckoned as exceptionally (good, bad, etc)"

(also 99% of the time has an example sentence)

We were studying the use of this word in class today and the sentence made no sense at all using any one of the CCEDICT definitions. It was only until I checked PLECO that it clicked

Its worth noting that other online dictionary's also don't have this specific definition either 

My point is even at upper beginner's stage its really worth getting a dictionary fit for your purpose. It will become a problem eventually

• Like 1

Thanks! Most of the data in PLC is from 《汉英词典》, which we licensed from 外研社 in Beijing - it was formerly available online via nciku, but they dropped it a couple of years ago (even before the LINE dictionary move) and replaced it with Collins, so I don't know if there's anybody offering it online now. (but that might be changing in the not too distant future... :-) )

We're going to be updating PLC with new words / examples / etc from the new 3rd edition of that dictionary shortly (along with parts of speech), but it'll probably never be able to match CC-CEDICT in covering the very newest vocabulary, which is why we think it's best to offer both.

• Like 2

Thanks! Most of the data in PLC is from 《汉英词典》, which we licensed from 外研社 in Beijing - it was formerly available online via nciku, but they dropped it a couple of years ago (even before the LINE dictionary move) and replaced it with Collins, so I don't know if there's anybody offering it online now. (but that might be changing in the not too distant future... :-) )

Thats a shame, even the LINE - Collins one is less comprehensive than CCEDIT.

If you ever get a web version of PLECO, you certainly have me hooked. I do almost all my Chinese study on PC, so naturally easier to do a copy and paste of a hanzi into a web browser rather than use a phone especially if I don't know the pinyin. You could have a sign in for paid members too. 

PS: do you have a to-do list for PLECO and whats up coming etc

For example: I think if you can make your flashcards as powerful as ANKi and include something along the lines of Skritter you are into a real winner. Skitter is useful but I personally wouldn't pay $15 a month for it, way over priced, given its a fancy writing flashcard program. Pleco have all the bones in place for it, sentences examples, stroke order diagrams, SRS algorithms, handwriting recognition software

Worth considering?

and take all my definitions from http://www.mdbg.net/

I think beyond a certain level you need to use more than one dictionary. Pleco-CC/CEDICT is good for a lot of things, but sometimes Jukuu is more useful, or the late Nciku/the current Line, which has both definitions and Chinese example sentences. Dictionaries like Iciba and Youdao have a lot of useless half-definitions but also a lot of good stuff included in the noise. If the first definition you find doesn't seem to work, you need to shop around.

As a free alternative to Skritter, I'd use Anki and pen & paper. But I've never used Skritter so perhaps it offers something pen & paper don't.

I think beyond a certain level you need to use more than one dictionary. Pleco-CC/CEDICT is good for a lot of things, but sometimes Jukuu is more useful, or the late Nciku/the current Line, which has both definitions and Chinese example sentences. Dictionaries like Iciba and Youdao have a lot of useless half-definitions but also a lot of good stuff included in the noise. If the first definition you find doesn't seem to work, you need to shop around.

I can imagine that Lu, I'm at an upper beginner I'd say (near HSK 4 level) so PLECO fits the bill for now. I definitely think PLECO beats CCEDIT substantially apart from the smaller subset of words (if I understand Mike correctly). 

LINE is great for example sentences but the definitions come from CCEDCIT which is limiting unfortunately

Skritter and other online apps can offer things like the Spaced repetition which is very useful, and it being electronic by nature saves the need for physical books demonstrating stroke order. But essentially you are drawing with your finger so not really a direct substitute for pen a and paper.

I have little experience in hand writing so would be interesting to see what the comparisons are between skritter (et al) and physically writing. 

comparisons are between skritter (et al) and physically writing.

I was lucky enough to get 3 months free summer of skritter last year and this is exactly the conclusion I came to, it is not for learning to write on paper with a pen but to learn stroke order.

Its a bit closer to pen and paper if you use a stylus but it is quite big, doesn't help you learn to squash it all in between the lines on ordinary paper.

So now I use Hanzi Grids for character practice. As for SRS you can work out which ones you need to work on. Pleco has a stroke order addon which I use, this helps with prompting me which ones I need to work on, but I have found that when it comes to writing you just have to keep at, doesn't matter if you do it the requisite amount of time for each character with SRS, you still need to refine your handwriting and prompt your memory now and again.

Hanzi Grids is excellent value for money, have a look  http://www.hanzigrids.com/

• Like 1

Thanks Shelly! Very useful

(I created my own Hanzi grids quite quickly with Microsoft word and the drawing toolbox, although I never use them. Nothing as fancy and not automated as HanziGrids. Took all  of 10 minutes pretty easy to do .... if you know how of course!)

I typed it wrong edited

It's so good for looking up things. Like in breakup Chinese pod lesson - women fen shou ba - means let's break up but literally means to separate hands. So it's like adding 3 words instead of one lol