Chinese-Forums

edX Basic Mandarin Chinese Course level 2 starting

Shelley

I don't think there is any difference between level 1 and level 2 from the teacher input side of things.

It is just the next level and I understand it will be the same as level 1 but new material.

Are you thinking of enrolling?

Yes, I'm thinking of enrolling, but what I meant was: they seem to have courses you can repeat later but without teacher input, but I can't remember the details. Have never done anything at edX. Is there teacher input at all or is it just a collection of videos you watch?

Ah I see what you mean. Yes this is with a teacher, you watch the videos, do the homework and the quizzes. You can join in the discussion board and chat with other students or to the teacher (Estella in this case) you will get answers on the board to any questions.

There is also tutoring where you get "one on one" with Estella for one half hour session, but this is a bit of lottery as there are so many students and from many time zones so you apply and you may get picked. The process is explain clearly in the course information.

This is a course done on the honour code so you will have to follow those rules, again all is explained in the course info.

You have to meet the deadlines as this is a "live course" and you can earn a certificate to show you have completed the course. You can also pay money and get a "validated" certificate, but this is optional.

Also when the course starts I usually start a topic here for people on the forum who are enrolled to share things and ask questions so there will be help throughout.

It seems a bit confusing to start with but you will get the hang of it pretty quick. You haven't really got anything to lose, so give it  go and enrol :)

• 1 month later...

Just to bump this topic and remind anyone who is interested that Part 2 of this course starts on Monday the 18th of January 2016.

I am looking forward to it. Also hope there may be others joining from the forums.

I will be posting highlights from the course in my blog.