Chinese-Forums

Juncheng - Private Chinese School in Beijing

roddy

Anyone ever been to this school? Know anything about it?

I'd seen their adverts in Thats Beijing, and had to go there to register for the HSK recently (after all the other places closed registration). They're a 3 minute walk from Beijing Railway Station, which means they're very central. Based in what looks like a private middle school. According to the receptionist they have about 100 foreign students from all over the world, and although I didn't get a guided tour the facilities I saw looked pretty good - clean, modern, friendly staff, and they had a pretty good stock of books. President of the school is a member of the International Society for Chinese Language Teaching ( 世界汉语教学学会)

They have the usual price list - a year is 2400US$, half a year 1200US$, 3 months 800US$ and one month is 250US$. They also offer one to one classes, HSK prep, etc - I'd imagine they offer anything you pay for, most private schools will. They have student dormitories and homestay options.

http://www.junchengedu.com (not juncheng.com, which is an electrical equipment company in Qingdao - just got very confused)

Contact details are on the website.

Roddy

• 1 year later...

Just found this posting whilst looking for details of other private schools in Beijing or Shanghai so thought I should add something even though it’s a year old.

I attended this school for 8 months in 2003/04 and have to say I really enjoyed it. When I first arrived in Beijing I went to a few Universities and due to them all starting at 8am (too early for me). I decided to use the private school option. I first went to Bridge school which was pretty crap – a class full of ex-pat wives with nothing better to do with their time than sit in a fancy classroom and drink coffee . . . . . and occasionally make a half hearted attempt at trying to speak Chinese . . . “wo shi audalian?”. That’s chinoz for I’m Australian. There never seemed any attempt by the teacher to correct pronunciation or basic mistakes so I decided to move on and ended up at JunCheng school.

I guess it was sheer coincidence but I found myself in a class full of like minded studiers . . . . wanted to learn Chinese properly but didn’t want to slog away for 4 hours listening to teachers without an opportunity to practice kou yu as what happens in a university environment. Class was a mix of people from all countries. Classes were from 10-12 every day and I followed up with 1-on-1 classes for 2 hours every afternoon. The morning class was 500rmb a month if I remember correctly but I understand it’s now gone up to 600rmb a month - still, not bad for 10 hours tuition a week – couple that with tuition from a Chinese student at one of the Uni’s and you get a fairly cheap way to learn the language.

I really enjoyed my time studying there and made some really good friends and had a great teacher . . . but then I guess wherever you study it’s going to be a bit of pot luck on the quality.

Definitely recommended.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...