Chinese-Forums

Subs2SRS Anki Deck Index

Yadang

The Assassin (2015)

Sound file included.
Translation, Traditional Chinese and pinyin included,

One/two word sentences retained for native speaking and listening practice for advanced beginners.

Snapshots included

Recognition cards: Chn (trad) -> Eng
Recall cards: Eng + Chn sound -> Chn

The vocabulary is harder presumably due to the setting being in Tang Dynasty

First_Time_2012

Sound file included.

One/two word sentences retained for native speaking and listening practice for advanced beginners.

Snapshots included

Recognition cards: Chn (trad) -> Eng

Beijing Meets Seattle II: Book of Love (2016)

Cantonese and English dialogue removed as far as possible.
Sound file included.

No snapshots

Recognition cards: Chn (simp) -> Eng

My Geeky Nerdy Buddies 2014

Sound file included.

Snapshots included

Recognition cards: Chn (simp) -> Eng

If you would like to create a new card from a note (e.g. a card with only just the sound to test your listening skills),

a) browse
b) select the deck,
c) open any card,
d) click on '+' (top right), Card 3 will appear
e) within the Front Template box, delete all of the HTML code inside
f) Click on 'Add Field' at the bottom
g) On the field, change the "tag" to 'Sound", press 'OK'
h) click on 'close'

Additional information

For some reason, on my computer, Anki has a little bug that interferes with me making Cloze cards out of the pack. I would be interested if that happens for you (though I think it unlikely).

Please give feedback on the pack and I will update the pack accordingly. The English translations are straight from the subtitles. So there may be some errors.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For anyone following this thread... I think I might have made a mistake (at least in one of the decks I checked) in the card formatting, rendering it so that the clozed out word isn't shown upon the card being flipped... I'm planning on looking into it this weekend...

Sorry, 艾墨本, didn't see your post earlier... You're welcome!

I haven't considered, but I could... the time consuming part is finding soft subtitles in Chinese... They have the series on youtube, but only with English subs... If you found a source of soft subs for me, I would be glad to do a few.

hi IKone152, glad to know it was helpful! Welcome to the forums! 

I have downloaded the "20 once again" file. Can someone please explain what do I keep getting the error message "Please edit this note and add some cloze deletions. (help)"? I read the help link but do not understand how to proceed.

Strange thing is that I do not see the english meaning and chinese words coming out. Thank you.

View.jpg

Ahh. You must be a beginner Anki user. I feel for you as I had my problems with it before.

I think that message is actually part of the card and auto appearing. You do not need to do a cloze deletion. It is just a message.

What exactly are you trying to use Anki for?

Hi chinesemadrush,

Sorry, that's a problem that I'm planning on fixing soon.

For now, you can fix it using the following steps:

1. Select the deck in Anki

2. Go into the browser

3. Click on the "Cards..." button

4. In the "Back Template" box, paste the following:

{{Snapshot}}<br><br>
{{cloze:Simplified}}<br><br>
{{hint:Pinyin}}<br><br>
{{hint:English}}<br><br>
{{hint:English_Definition}}<br><br>
{{Audio}}

Note that all of the decks are setup assuming the user will be using simplified Chinese. If you want to use traditional (and the deck has traditional, as "20 Once again" does), follow steps 1-3 above, then:

4. Into "Front Template" paste the following:

{{Snapshot}}<br><br>
{{cloze:Traditional}}<br><br>
{{Proper_Nouns}}

5. Into "Back Template" paste the following:

{{Snapshot}}<br><br>
{{cloze:Traditional}}<br><br>
{{hint:Pinyin}}<br><br>
{{hint:English}}<br><br>
{{hint:English_Definition}}<br><br>
{{Audio}}

​Let me know if that doesn't work or if you have any questions.

• Like 1

@Yadang,

I am not sure if it so helpful for the beginners up to intermediate level Anki users to have the cloze function message and cards. From my point of view, it is a confusing factor for those not familiar with Anki.

I am not sure if it so helpful for the beginners up to intermediate level Anki users to have the cloze function message and cards. From my point of view, it is a confusing factor for those not familiar with Anki.

I agree that Anki can get confusing fast... That's one of the reasons I spend time making all of the decks in the same format. The reason I decided for cloze to be default, is two-fold: First, it's compatible with all of the decks, whereas back>front classic flashcards are only compatible with the decks that have an English translation. Secondly, as I've been doing cloze more and more, I find it to be much faster at acquiring vocabulary than memorizing the whole sentence (as is expected of course). Where there are sentences or phrases or whatever I want to memorize, because it's something I say a lot or something, I just cloze out the whole sentence. This approach I think makes a good balance between learning vocabulary fast (and in context, with audio), while also being able to learn set phrases I know I'll use... This has been my (limited, and by all measures short-term) experience so far, anyways. 

I've really tried to make it as easy as possible for the beginning anki user... I think the problem is that Anki just has a steep learning curve...

@chinesemadrush

referring to my first screenshot, click on browse. That will give you the 'Note'. The Note contains all the information that you need.

Click on cards and you get picture two.

You can create many different cards from the note.

In the 2nd screenshot, the types of cards created are recognition, recall, listening, Eng ->Chn

And the design of the card for a recognition card is shown.

How do you control what is shown on the front of the card (here is Chinese)? It's by the box that says 'Front template'. For this example, it is 'Hanzi'. The front preview shows you what will show when you first see the card (i.e. the front of the card).

In the 'Back template', you see a mass of commands. All these contain the information that you want to back on the back of the card. i.e. what you see after you have tested yourself.

If I wanted to add sound to the back card (e.g. a recording of the hanzi), then:

click on 'Add field'

click on 'sound'

add to 'back' and click 'OK'

So now sound will be played (if I have that field filled in) when I see the back card when testing myself.

Anki_3.jpg

Anki_4.jpg

Anki_5.jpg

Anki_6.jpg

The last part I do is to create another deck with just Recognition cards.

To do this:

search bar type "card:Recognition", then click search. This results in all the recognition cards being shown. Highlight (i.e. select all of them).

Click on change deck and everything should be explanatory from there on.

Anki_7.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

And while we're at it here is the yuge deck I made for An Li's classic 饮食男女.

I think this one's especially useful because of all the good accents here that you can improve your listening ability for...

perfect audio, english translations, and a it's great movie.

940 Notes, 940 Cards

Simplified Pinyin and Audio / Image

English Translation

Style: Cn Audio, Image -> Cn w/ Pinyin, translation in the edit window

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4gYfV5t7gFDeUg2U29DalBSVVk

屏幕快照 2017-03-09 下午9.34.17.jpg

• Like 4