Chinese-Forums

Tencent qq (Chinese icq)

tetsuo500

I'm trying to get qq running on my (on university campus) computer. For those who don't know qq is Chinese chat program similar to icq, except it's better - because it's Chinese. You have a list of friends, when they are online you can chat to them. You can also just add random people to your list, or people from a certain city, age range etc. and ask if they want to chat. It's a good way to practice chatting in Chinese.

Anyway, I can't quite install the program. No Chinese characters are being displayed. I'm running XP etc. etc. I think I need to be running a Chinese version of Windows. Can anyone confirm this, or offer a solution to the problem?

Erk... :shock: - I think I'm having another problem.... can't get past the firewall.

To get to the point, has anyone had any success installing and running qq on non-Chinese Windows?

Download: www.qq.com

Yes, here are three options for you:

1. Go to Control Panel -- Language/Region -- Advanced, and set your localization to Chinese (PRC)

2. Download the English version, though you still won't be able to read messages in Chinese.

3. Download Microsoft AppLocale here: http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/apploc.mspx

As to the firewall, what kind of firewall is it, university firewall or XP firewall?

I couldn't get past the firewall either when I tried installing QQ, and it's the only program that seems to have any kind of firewall program. I think you need to open some specific ports or something, but I got frustrated and gave up. You can also use Chinese characters to chat with MSN, and it's free.

QQ is also apparently pretty easily hack-able. I think there was a thread about this once before ...

Woo-hoo! Thanks Quest, I never knew you could do that in XP!

It's the university firewall. It shouldn't be too big a problem though, we have two different firewalls. One for inside the computer labs and one for everywhere else. I think it's fine if I go outside the computer labs...

I think the English version is pretty old now, it's definately not up to speed with the Chinese version.

• 9 months later...

One of my friends told me that you can get a new QQ account for a small fee. I have no idea what the fee is, or where you should pay it, though. They also give them away with certain mobile phones, I think.

I got mine from a friend who had five or six accounts, she just gave me one of hers. If you have some friends in China, let them know that you want an account -- they'll probably have an extra one they can give you.

By the way, I just started using NJStar Communicator in QQ, and it works pretty well. After playing around with the settings for a while, I can read and write in Chinese. I'm using the English version, too, on Windows 2000 pro. My 30-day trial period is almost up, though, and I'm not sure about paying $100 for it...

There are many free alternatives, I dont see why you should pay to use it.

another reason not to use qq: there is a dictionary of censored/banned words/terms in qq which was implemented under order by the chinese government.

• 1 month later...

to display the chinese character on a non-chinese system, you need to install the language for "Asian Language Support". Even so, you also need to change the language for non-unicode UTF-8 programs to Chinese.

unicodechinese.gif

But in your case, you may need Taiwan, rather than PRC - for the traditional character set.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did anyone manage to get QQ (English or Chinese version) working properly on English Windows 2000 without njstar?

Even with njstar I experienced some problems with all character encodings (some characters would only be displayed as '?') - and it is now beyond its trial period anyway. Without njstar I can type characters but they are sent as blanks.

I have Chinese PRC set as my default locale, and Microsoft Pinyin installed. I have no problems writing/reading characters in other applications....

可以帮助我吗?

http://www.chappies.org/setup/QQ2004.exe (its hosted on a dutch server so shoul dbe quick)

That problem swith ??? is that NJstar builds a character up with 2 parts. If you mis a part you will see ???

There is a problem. With win2k you need chinese windows. I have dutch win2k and I cant type chinese char in QQ. The software of QQ is coded in "chinese" so it requires "chinese" windows. I use NJstar of just chinese windows. :)

Hey everyone, my website can give you a hand setting everything up, you can download pinyin ABC5.22 IME or wubi (五笔) input methods, and It has the latest versions of QQ english + chinese. I also wrote a little info up to help you register a QQ number (for free). so check it out:

http://qq.bur.st

It has a forum + translator as well. Tell me how you go!