Chinese-Forums

cei4

devi9

Hi everyone! I need to type a Chinese character that I think was made up for pronounciation purposes (it's very 口语 ). My computer's typing program doesn't have it and I checked unicode and it doesn't seem to be there. Can anyone type the word cei4 meaning to break? Don't worry about typing the wrong one, in every standard dictionary I've looked in there is either only one word or nothing. Or if you know a website I can copy it from that'd be a great help. Thanks!

It's not part of "normal" Unicode - in fact even Wenlin doesn't know the Pinyin, you have to go to the entry immediately after it in Wenlin's dictionary and scroll up to find it. Very very obscure word. So even if someone sent you the character it probably wouldn't display on your computer.

It is part of Unicode Extension B, though - the hex value is 24b62. To display/print it you'd have to get a Unicode Extension B font - there's one called "SimSun Founder Extended" included with the Microsoft Office Proofing Tools pack, but that's the only easy way I know of to get one. You can get a sample image of the character from the Unicode Extension B character chart - http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U20000.pdf, Once you have the right font, you can open up Word and choose "Symbol" from the "Insert" menu - that will let you type in the hex value and bring up the corresponding character. Or you could just zoom in the PDF on that character, take a screenshot and paste it into your document as an image.