Chinese-Forums

BLCU, Beijing Language and Culture University, Housing Info, and more

amandagmu

• 2 months later...

@Becca The only dorm I ever had a problem with was Dorm 1 (scholarship dorm) when my friend stayed there. One of the ladies who worked at reception was very strict about what times visitors could come and also checked their IDs. However, I stayed at the Conference Centre and they never checked visitors. People could come and go as they pleased. The same is definitely true of Dorm 17. However, official campus rules do not allow people to stay over in your room. Don't worry about that too much though, it goes on all the time and is very much turned a blind eye to at most places. I'm sorry that I cannot comment specifically on Dorm 6.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone.

It may have already been answered somewhere else on this site, but, does anybody know whether we would be allowed to stay in our dorm rooms over winter vaccation/chinese new year? or do they kick you out untill term starts again?

Hello, I am from Brazil and I am going to study in BLCU in february, 27 of 2012. I am kind of lost, because I can't find a place to stay there.

I would like to book a room inside the University, but when I call to make the reservation, I can't find someone who speaks english.

What should I do?

Becca - I have a friend who lives in dorm 6. Yes they are pretty, pretty strict about visiting and staying over.

Thaiana - Everyone coming to BLCU faces this problem. Around 16th January [when the current semester ends], you will have to wire a month's rent as a deposit amount to BLCU's bank account. Then you send them a fax with your details - admission number, name, country, bank transaction number, preferred dormitory, expected date of arrival along with a copy of the transaction receipt. This secures your accommodation in one of the dorms. They don't send you any conformation back, but when you will finally arrive at the Housing Centre to claim your room you will find it ready.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

and if you cant book it from brazil ... just make sure you come around that 16th of jan that prateeksha mentioned and dont be late

coz if its late (like 1 week before the first class) im sure the dorm will be fully booked ...

if you already book it i can help you to confirm it .... but im going back home at 6th of jan

and back here mid february ...

• Like 1

The fuwuyuans in dorm 6 are really really strict. If you don't have your student ID or passport with you, you can't enter. No visitors before 4pm, and they must leave exactly at 10pm. They are also grumpy all the time.

I've heard that the fuwuyuans in dorm 1, 9, 4, and 17 are not strict at all. People can come and go whenever they want, they can sleep over, party with loud music and so on.

After living in dorm 6 for two months I moved out. Couldn't stand the fuwuyuans and the rules..

ACCOMMODATION CONCERNS

BLCU has become more popular and popular in recent years with dorms becoming more difficult to book/reserve.

I don't know if things have changed in Dorm 17 but as far as I'm concerned, you will not get a guaranteed room unless someone made a downpayment on your behalf. It doesn't matter if it's an agency or a person, as long as you pay at least a month's rent in advanced.

What I can suggest to future students (without a dorm) is to get into Beijing at least a couple of days or a week before the enrollment day. There are (illegal) "agents" inside BLCU like the flower-selling lady near the BLCU hospital if she's still there that offer rooms or houses for rent. She will charge you half of a month's rent. There are also real estate agents around Wudaokou and inside residential compounds which also offers rooms/houses (Dong Wang Zhuang for example, along Wang Zhuang Road). Then last, there's Thebeijinger.com which has ads on accommodation.

It is not impossible to get a room inside 1 of BLCU's dorms but you might have very limited choices when it comes to the building and roommate.

• Like 1

hello! i have the same question with hello.anna and saiche. what happens to the dorms during winter break? i'm going back to my country for winter break. and i'm under scholarship. do i need to bring all my things with me and get another room for next semester during registration? Or can i just leave my things in the room?

and where can we get the "housing certificate" needed for the registration next semester?

thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm planning to get a Chinese friend to call and book for me in the first week of January for first semester of 2012 starting on the 20th Feb. I assume they'll give us bank details to send money to or something of that nature?

Also, should I aim for dorm 17 or check out the conference centre? I've heard pros and cons for both :/ AND (so many questions sorry!) Are there 3 bedroom apartments available anywhere where I'll be matched with room mates? or are most dorms 2 person?

• 2 weeks later...

Time for the venerable topic to be closed - many thanks to all who've contributed. Please see the BLCU index for links to ongoing discussions - and note the new Accommodation topic, with a first post detailing much of the information from this topic.