Chinese-Forums

Excellent Grammar Book

eion_padraig

I found an excellent grammar book that was published this year (2004) call 'Chinese - A Comprehensive Grammar' by Yip Po-Ching and Don Rimmington. The authors are from Leeds University. The publisher is Routledge.

It uses simplified characters and pinyin in all the examples given in addition to literal and general translations. It could be an excellent reference book when teachers or textbooks are unclear. The index seems to be fairly good for looking up either words/phrases (jiu4) or for topics (coverbs as grammatical opperators).

I've been learning through tutors (a graduate & a graduate student who studied teaching Chinese), immersion (in Shanghai), and self study through textbooks. Because of this I don't feel I have a solid grammar background because of a lack of formal study in a language class, though I am usually understood. I've already found the answers to a lot of questions I've had about Chinese that are either theoretical (in Chinese is plurality assumed?) and practical (when must 'de' be used to connect adj to nouns). Anyway, I highly recommend it for people who want answers to their grammar questions that can be difficult to get from their teachers. It's directed at native English speakers when explaining the concepts.

I hope this provides useful to other people. (It's funny how excited I am about a grammar book.)

• 1 year later...

Yes, it ws interesting to got those book. Unfortunately, I am living out of the country. I lived in Indonesia. Could you gie us some adice regarding this book, where I can get this book.

Waiting any information from you all and thank you for your cooperation..

regards,

Djames

• 2 weeks later...

Don't want to be the odd man out here but I didn't think much of this book. I had ordered it and returned it after I looked it over. It's expensive for the size and content. The examples are very limited. Sorry, I think a better set are the ones listed below.

I'm always on the search for good books.

So far the best I've ever found are:

Interactions I: A Cognitive Approach to Beginning Chinese

Interactions II: A Cognitive Approach to Beginning Chinese

Connections I: A Cognitive Approach to Intermediate Chinese

Connections II: A Cognitive Approach to Intermediate Chinese

All from: Publisher: Indiana University Press;

In my opinion, these books are hot. I bought Connections II because an internet friend told me they were good. So I bought one to check it out. Smokin! So I bought Connections I and the same thing. I then bought Interactions II and now I'm going to buy Interactions I when I get some extra cash.

Honestly, I've been learning Chinese for 3 1/2 years or so and I can honestly say if I had these books when I started I'd be much farther along.

They have characters in Traditional and Simplified. Great grammar patterns. Filled with information.

Sorry to go on this way but I can't say enough.

Hope this helps someone.

Don't want to be the odd man out here but I didn't think much of this book. I had ordered it and returned it after I looked it over. It's expensive for the size and content. The examples are very limited. Sorry, I think a better set are the ones listed below.

I haven't seen any of the books listed but "Chinese - A Comprehensive Grammar" sounds like a reference book and the Interactions and Connections books sound like instructional texts. The purpose is very different.

A couple of concise Chinese grammar books.

20275.jpg

"A Concise Chinese Grammar" 簡明漢語語法

http://www.peacebook.com.hk/peacebook/hk/book_list/detail.jsp?id=20275

It's bilingual in both Chinese and English and covers basically everything you need for everyday use. It has lots of examples and doesn't use too much jargon, unlike some grammar books.

This book "Chinese Grammar Without Tears" looks good also:

http://www.tokkai.com/annie/item/tx160.html

Personally I bought "An outline of Chinese Grammar" (Schaum's), which I like because it only gives the more important rules of Chinese grammar. It contains both simplified and traditional characters and hundreds of exercises. I'd need a more exhaustive book if my Chinese is at a higher level though.

• 2 weeks later...