Chinese-Forums

Guest maeli'i

888 usually means 发发发 (发财)or good fortune, because of the pronounciation is close to 发(fa1),

and a newly popular usage in online chatting is to say goodbye, since the pronounciation is close to bye's in english, for example,

--那我下了

--好,8

• 1 month later...

888 can be 'san ba' (slang) =' bitch' as in the English colloquial usage. Although it's meaning is less harsh, like gossiping woman. Chinese in this area will often laugh when they see it san ba, hehe. 8 is lucky as it represents money, but some Chinese tell me that 10 is luckier as it represents everything, family, life etc.

888 can be 'san ba' (slang) =' bitch' as in the English colloquial usage. Although it's meaning is less harsh, like gossiping woman. Chinese in this area will often laugh when they see it san ba, hehe. 8 is lucky as it represents money, but some Chinese tell me that 10 is luckier as it represents everything, family, life etc.

I don't think it's anywhere near as harsh as "bitch." In Taiwan, 三八 can be used for men or women. For men, it usually means that the guy is being too effeminate, but I think the meaning has been stretched to mean "immature." I'm wondering if 三八 has anything to do with 三八妇女节 (International Working Women's Day, March 8). Probably not, but it was the only origin I could think of.

888 can also be a car license plate which might fetch US$500,000 in Hong Kong or US$100,000 in Shanghai during government auctions.

But 8 is not the only lucky number. 3 and 9 are also deemed very lucky. In fact, the license plate "9" auctioned in Hong Kong in 1994 got the highest bid ever recorded -- US$1,700,000.

Yes, according to my friends, 三八 is actually a reference to womens day. I just found this out as we've just had womens' day. Maybe in male usage it indicates a woman that is too independent minded for their taste!

Yes, according to my friends, 三八 is actually a reference to womens day. I just found this out as we've just had womens' day. Maybe in male usage it indicates a woman that is too independent minded for their taste!

is this related to cantonese word, 死八公 ? :)

• 2 weeks later...