Chinese-Forums

Degree equivalent to what HSK level?

XiaoXi

Heifang,

I have heard from many Koreans that is is easier to get a 9 than an 8 HSK because of the curve (only 1.5% of zhongji participants get an 8). Of course for them the writing is easier, so I have a question for you:

Would you be more confident of getting an 8 on Zhongji if you took it again, or do you think it would be easier to get a 9 by taking gaoji again?

For Laska, I came to China just over two years ago and studied at BLCU for a few months and then Heilongjiang University for two semesters. I got level 7 in May last year. However I have studied Japanese and that helps loads with the reading section. My weakpoint is still listening. Although if I take gaoji I will also be weak at writing because in Japan and here in China I am over-reliant on wordprocessors and mobile phones.

I would recommend an intensive HSK course immediately prior to the examination - this will boost your score considerably. Most of the private schools catering to Koreans in major Chinese towns have such classes, usually in the evenings.

mrtoga,

Hmmmm...

That's a good question. I am not really sure. Maybe this time around an 8 would be obtainable simply b/c I think my grammar held me back last time on the 初中 exam (for some reason I don't really remember studying much grammar at all in school, somewhat strange...), but now it's better...I think.... However, I personally think since the Advanced exam forces development in writing and speaking, I wouldn't really want to retake the 初中 exam . (I, too, am overly dependant on typing, so I am most fearful of writing in pencil and in little grid boxes...so this is my major obstacle. I am going to start 补习班again this week *sigh*)

But what I do have to say about the people I know with an advanced certificate, It's usually a pleasure to hear them speak and I think that those advanced people are indeed at an advanced level in all areas. Some people I have met with an 8, not necessarily...

For listening I bought some 高级 听力textbook along with the 20 or so tapes from BLCU's bookstore, but I am sure they can be found somewhere for much cheaper...Somehow I find the listening portion of the advanced exam more difficult than all the practice exams but this may just be nerves and since it's the first section...

hope this helps... =)