Chinese-Forums

WIFI at BNU

crow610

Pretty sure it doesnt. Although a couple of the cafes around it have Wi Fi. Try Tube Station near and the Aolouba (???) cafe near the east gate. Although Aolouba cafe food n drinks are a bit funky..... and Tube station doesnt have any outlets to charge a laptop.

Sorry, thats the best I know of....dont know if that helps

Chris

There's no wi-fi on campus that I know of. Tube Station, as mentioned does. Tube Station serves up Subway type sandwiches, which are not bad, few hundred meters north of the east gate on the other side of the road. No power though, and can get a bit rowdy between all the university and middle school students who frequent the place.

The Aoulouba or whatever it is called has power and wi-fi, but they're a bit wierd. Only been in once, asked if they have wi-fi, yes, so I ordered a black coffee. Black coffee turned out to be one of those 3-in-1 sachets which has milk powder and sugar already added, and the wi-fi wasn't working until I pointed out that the fact I'd walked in and asked 'do you have wi-fi' and then sat down and pulled out a computer might mean it would be a nice idea to turn the router on.

There's a relatively new place (opened up this year) called Library, 臧书屋, a good bit further north, maybe half-way between the the 3rd and 4th Ring Roads at the west gate of Mudanyuan Xili - look for the UBC Coffee, and it's on the other side of the road. It's a couple of stops on the bus, and you might be as well heading all the way up to Wudaokou, but they have reliable wireless, a ton of power sockets, massive comfy sofas and decent food and drinks. Little pricy maybe, and the portions are small.

Places which apparently have wireless but that I've never been to - the teahouse opposite the east gate next to the pizza buffet place (one of the 18Y all you can drink places) and a cafe on the south side of the 3rd ring just east of Beitaipingzhuang bridge that I can't remember the name of. You can also sometimes get a very weak signal in Twelve Oaks at the east gate, but it's not to be relied upon. I think it comes from the teahouse over the road.

Thanks! I really appreciate your quick responses.

I believe the dorms have internet since it was mentioned in the room description however since you are saying that they don't have WIFI then it's probably an RJ-45 port in the wall.

I was thinking of bringing my wireless router so at least in my dorm I'll be free to move about.

Do you know if the libraries at BNU have internet access too? Also, seems like in the US people who bring their laptops to coffee shops will use the outlets so they don't have to be dependent on the battery. C_Smith85, you mentioned that one particular coffee shop does not have access to an outlet. Is this pretty common or can I expect most coffee shops to have some outlets.

Thanks!

Almost everywhere has outlets, and more recently outfitted places will have made an effort to install loads to make sure everyone can plug their laptops in. Others will have a few extension cables lying around in case they're needed. It's electricity after all :wink:

Tube Station is a bit of an exception, in that they didn't put any outlets in the public area. Bit odd, especially as they were one of the first around here to put wireless in. It's the only place I can think of where you just can't get power. Other places you might have to faff around getting the waitress to find an extension cable, or use batteries till someone moves away from their power socket, but it's not a major issue.

Starbucks seems to not be very laptop friendly and one Barnes and Noble Starbucks I went to actually had a sign up next to every outlet stating that the outlets are for store use only. Kind of stupid since they are trying to get people to sign up for the extremely expensive SBC wireless Internet. I wish American coffee shops would realize that there is no need to make money off of Internet usage but use it as a ploy to get customers to come in and buy their outregeously priced drinks ($3.5 for a freggin pre-made drink that only requires you to add ice).

Oh well. :conf

That "ploy" doesn't work. Not in London, anyway.

We don't have many large coffee bars in London, and most of them have deliberately removed or blocekd off power supplies so people don't sit there all day with their empty espresso cup.

I think it was Seattle, the "inventor" of this kind of lifestyle which is now removing wireless from some cafes as it doesn't promote a social atmosphere. basically, the cafes are full of people silently tapping away. Of course, what this really means is that the customers aren't spending enough money.

Hm. I never really thought of coffee bars trying to create a social atmosphere. I would mainly go there to do homework and even although I am not in school anymore, I still go there with my laptop to do whatever. Some coffee shops have tried to take adavntage of people who use laptops but hosting a chat room for people who are in the coffee shop. I think that would be a great way for people get up and co-mingle with other coffee shop patrons.

Hey baby....can I buy you a sugar-free, fat free no whip, extra carmel, soy carmel frapachino with a dash of cinamon? :mrgreen:

crap...forgot to mention decaf.

oh ya....venti.

• 2 weeks later...

The Xiti (Citi? City?) cafe under 今典花园 now has wireless, and I'm using it now. Wouldn't recommend the place very highly - basically an overpriced 上岛咖啡 type of place, but it has plenty of power outlets and wireless, so might be useful for someone living nearby. Keep heading directly south from BNU West gate and you'll find it easy enough.

EDIT: Don't order the coffee :-?

EDIT 2: And indeed avoid the food also. In fact, ladies and gentlemen, forget I even spoke.

Lets all bow in a moment of silence as Roddy up-chucks his Shi ti coffee.

This reminds me of a song my friend made up when she went to China. Sing the song La Bamba but replace every "La Bamba" with "La Duzi".

:oops:

Thanks for the tip!

• 1 month later...

For reference: The teahouse across from BNU now appears to have a reliable wireless setup, which you can also access from Twelve Oaks underneath Lanhui (weak signal, but more or less usable for a quick surf). You have to negotiate a Chinese-language log-in page, but look for the 'log in as guest' button near the bottom.